Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - For Sale

Buy and Sell Used Climbing Gear Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
swap beers for a broken grigri
22-Jul-2008
11:00:37 PM

hangdog
23-Jul-2008
1:07:16 PM
i have one here. what do you need it for again?
adrian
23-Jul-2008
4:30:16 PM
I'm taking Ti's comment to "cad up" a gri-gri meaning they want to pull one apart and draw all the parts in a 3D computer model (Computer Aided Drawing = CAD). Hence it doesn't matter if it's working or not.

latheboy
24-Jul-2008
9:27:08 PM
I reckon i can answer this....
How would you bend "Aluminum" sheet along a radius? You do it in a press tool...the part in question is made from a flat sheet of steel and the shape is punched out.. i've got one infront of me and by looking at it there would be at least 4 press tools in the process of making just this part.... The rolled edge that the rope runs over would be made by holding the plate flat while a part of the tool would push the edge over... I think it has been done in 2 goes by looking at the marks on the gri gri.... Look up "Press tools ".... but dont look at wiki it a waste of time ... Also look for "CNC Folder" ... I hope this has helped.... What program are you using to model the gri gri?

muki
24-Jul-2008
10:03:34 PM
On 24/07/2008 latheboy wrote:
>I reckon i can answer this....
>...the part in question is made from a flat sheet of steel

The only parts made of steel are the axle pin that holds the unit shut in combination with the biner at the
other end, and the internal plates that the rope is squeezed or pnched when it cams shut under load.
The rest is plastic and aluminium, and yes it is punched out (including all holes, no drilling) then put
through a series of different presses that in combination give you the funky shape.

latheboy
25-Jul-2008
12:53:04 PM
Dont worry about it Ti,You should drink it while your modeling it up and see what sort of wacky design you come up with:) ..... I've done it and the design tree is a mess, i ended up starting again and did the part in a quarter of the time... Maybe you should send Petzel an email and ask which grade of Al they use ( 6061 Prob. ) .. put that into Cosmos and see what happens to the part..

Pat
25-Jul-2008
6:01:18 PM
Um, pardon me if I'm wrong, but given your new interest in Aiding, you're not, by any chance trying to
work out how to actually make a grigri for yourself are you?

There are 7 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints