Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - For Sale

Buy and Sell Used Climbing Gear Please do not post retail SPAM.

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 31
Author
Outdoor/climbing gear for sale or free
Simp
7-Jan-2017
8:13:47 PM
No worries. I'm happy they are working and found a new home. I did a bit more research and looks like I can get a replacement primer pan for mine.

ChuckNorris
7-Jan-2017
8:49:30 PM
Before you buy a new priming pan see how it works if you only tighten it gently into the stove. I had probs with that too and after a scrub in turps and then only doing it up loosish it worked a treat. After all you don't need it once the stove is going. Some folk prime it by putting meth in the pan as it burns cleaner.

ChuckNorris
7-Jan-2017
9:36:55 PM
Also really clean the jet out with a very thin wire. That was the problem with mine even though air was getting through by blowing.
Simp
9-Jan-2017
9:11:21 AM
HI Stugang,

Thanks for the tips on the MSR repairs. My problem is that the actual primer bowl has broken away from the thread that attaches it to the bottom of the stove. I have been in touch with the importers (Spelean, based in Sydney) and as it turns out I can buy a new one for about $8. So that will fix it.

cheers
john

ChuckNorris
9-Jan-2017
5:26:48 PM
Msr gone. FWIW I fixed both of them and kept the new one and gave away the older one. Which one to keep wasn't that an easy decision-

- the newer one claims to have better simmer control and slightly wider range of crap it will accept etc. maybe that's true but the improvement is marginal in the two versions I've owned.
- my experience of using one of the newer ones wasnt that great. It played up very soon after purchase but I am hoping that was a once off and now I've fixed it it will last forever. I kept the new one only because the thread on the jet is a different size between the two versions.

Anyone else got experience of this?

Chloe
9-Jan-2017
6:44:12 PM
You got the high altitude one?

ChuckNorris
9-Jan-2017
11:30:41 PM
Maybe......why do you ask?

In all honesty I should have shown more love to the old one that I have now given away. The new one may be high altitude but was bought on a whim thinking newer meant better.

Eduardo Slabofvic
10-Jan-2017
1:22:22 PM
Was that the one that had the simmer valve as well as the on/off valve?

My old whisperlite which has given me decades of trouble free use and field serviceability is basically on/off, so was thinking about getting the one that has the simmer valve.

Can anyone provide useful opinions on the simmer valve version?

ChuckNorris
10-Jan-2017
6:40:28 PM
No experience with the simmer valve but I never found simmering too hard on the whisperlight once you get used to it. You need soft hands for microscopic valve adjustments, as well as not over pressuring the fuel cylinder (which is easier when the fuel tank is half empty).

Anyone with basic intelligence and a bit of application can master it.

ChuckNorris
10-Jan-2017
6:43:38 PM
Now that I think of it Ed you should try the simmer valve.

Eduardo Slabofvic
10-Jan-2017
7:18:31 PM
I tend to agree

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 31
There are 31 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints