Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - For Sale

Buy and Sell Used Climbing Gear Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
2 x Screamers
Chriph
9-Dec-2014
10:26:52 AM
Heya, two screamers for sale.

Got them in bulk lot of stuff I bought, but am unlikely to use them so selling them on.

One is DMM (grey) - $25, and the other Vertical (blue) - $20 (or both for $40).

Pick up in Kew, at Lactic Factory, or post at buyer expense.

Cheers

Chriph
9-Dec-2014
8:20:44 PM
Nah, I think that's just the effect of the older binders they put on. The nylon and stitching looks good.
argos44
9-Dec-2014
9:06:37 PM
Haha, Cliff they are not for you, they are not 'vintage'

ajfclark
10-Dec-2014
7:49:16 AM
I thought he was asking what vintage they were, not whether they were vintage.
grangrump
10-Dec-2014
1:22:25 PM
Maybe read about Richard Delaney's testing of old tapes/slings/quickdraws in other threads.
He refers to his website:
http://www.ropelab.com.au/old-slings/
"most of the single nylon quickdraws (now 20 or so) that I have tested that are over 10 years old have broken at around half of their rated strength."
"Replace your old nylon draws - they're not that expensive!"
http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=DisplayTopic&ForumID=6&MessageID=27322&Replies=20&PagePos=0&Sort=#NewPost
chriph
10-Dec-2014
1:27:05 PM
sure, and understandable thing to consider. Without any technical expertise in their making I couldn't venture an opinion as to whether the smaller threads would age more quickly than the others. The lack of any discolouration or fading on the outer compared to inner layers suggests they were stored out of the light up until I got them - so I don't think UV would be much of a factor.

Unfortunately I can't be any more specific on the age, as they came along with a large amount of equipment I got second-hand last year. As I noted, they look pretty fresh (especially compared to those biners! :)

Welcome to inspect :)

Chris

IdratherbeclimbingM9
10-Dec-2014
7:50:02 PM
On 9/12/2014 Chriph wrote:
>Heya, two screamers for sale.
>
>Got them in bulk lot of stuff I bought, but am unlikely to use them so
>selling them on.
>
>One is DMM (grey) - $25, and the other Vertical (blue) - $20 (or both
>for $40).
>
>Pick up in Kew, at Lactic Factory, or post at buyer expense.

OK, they are old and likely at best 50% strength of original items.
So I am offering you 50% of your asking price, ie both for $20 (inclusive of the 'vintage' krabs).
... & yes I will pay for postage, as I assume it will be about $5.

Am I ripping you off?
No.
~> My penchant is for thin (read very, very, perhaps very again, marginal protection), ~ aid-climbing.
I figure even 50% is better than none, when it comes to such protection...
Take it or leave it.
chriph
11-Dec-2014
11:57:25 AM
hmmm, so I got them last year - putting their age at a minimum of two years - not sure about the leap of logic (a logic dyno? :-) to assume they are old and at best half their strength, considering that was applied to slings known to be 10 years old...

I've seen manufacturers recommend replacing slings after 5 years (something I'm currently doing with some of my other equipment), and I'd have reasonable confidence that these sit between the 2 and 5 year bracket of age in which they'd retain over half their original strength.

So I would take $30 for the two (including 'vintage' krabs) - with postage as is charged by APO (due to thickness it may be closer to $8 as it's unlikely to fit through the letterbox they use to check sizing).

IdratherbeclimbingM9
11-Dec-2014
4:38:39 PM
On 11/12/2014 chriph wrote:
>hmmm, so I got them last year - putting their age at a minimum of two years
>- not sure about the leap of logic (a logic dyno? :-) to assume they are
>old and at best half their strength, considering that was applied to slings
>known to be 10 years old...

Not such a big dyno, but sorry, perhaps an incorrect assumption on my part, as bits of your earlier posts like;
>I think that's just the effect of the older binders they put on.
&
>lack of any discolouration or fading on the outer compared to inner layers suggests they were stored out of the light up until I got them
&
>Unfortunately I can't be any more specific on the age, as they came along with a large amount of equipment I got second-hand last year. As I noted, they look pretty fresh (especially compared to those biners! :)

make it seem to me like you don't really know their age due acquiring them second hand yourself.
Whatever, the krabs on them are certainly in the 10 year vintage bracket...
>
>I've seen manufacturers recommend replacing slings after 5 years (something
>I'm currently doing with some of my other equipment), and I'd have reasonable
>confidence that these sit between the 2 and 5 year bracket of age in which
>they'd retain over half their original strength.
>
>So I would take $30 for the two (including 'vintage' krabs) - with postage
>as is charged by APO (due to thickness it may be closer to $8 as it's unlikely
>to fit through the letterbox they use to check sizing).

I don't need them that badly (half the lines I have my eyes on as 'to do', are hooks only), so I will decline your updated offer. Thanks anyway.
Chriph
11-Dec-2014
6:20:03 PM
no worries at all :)

There are 10 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints