ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 3 of 15. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 280 | 281 to 286
Author
Off-topic: Climbers who believe in Jesus
jacq
2-Feb-2011
11:34:36 PM
Sometimes after my rather pathetic attempts at climbing I feel like I've been mauled by Jesus... Does that count?

Miguel75
3-Feb-2011
12:04:26 AM
On 2/02/2011 jacq wrote:
>Sometimes after my rather pathetic attempts at climbing I feel like I've
>been mauled by Jesus... Does that count?

What does this even mean?
jacq
3-Feb-2011
8:13:26 AM
Futurama reference...

Miguel75
3-Feb-2011
11:17:08 AM
On 3/02/2011 jacq wrote:
>Futurama reference...

Ahhh hah. I'm still praying for death by snu snu...

dave h.
3-Feb-2011
11:50:47 AM
On 1/02/2011 simey wrote:

>When it comes to staying alive on on the sharp end, I would much rather
>turn to the writings of a particular Chockstoner then anything from Jesus
>and the Bible.

Clearly you haven't read Psalm 121 ;-)

hangdog
3-Feb-2011
11:59:08 AM

>
>Clearly you haven't read Psalm 121 ;-)

Ah ha dave h i wondered when you would appear on this topic. remember you are not "preaching to the converted" with this mob. Some of them are tainted by Satans work.
another dave
3-Feb-2011
12:17:23 PM
Seriously ODH?
Couldn't you guys pick some one better?
I think he should prove himself first...
How about soloing Ozymandias (King of Kings)? If he lives you can all bow down if he doesn't you can all bow down.

On another note its interesting to note which religions get all the bashing. The vast majority of anti religious comments/jokes have a direct reference to Christianity. I think Jews need a break for the next few hundred years after ww2. Nothing about islam????
If you want to expand your understanding read this:
http://www.aina.org/news/20081117111817.htm

Dutch
3-Feb-2011
4:15:26 PM
Another dave, it amuses me why you think we should be slagging off all the religions not just one. Some may be crazier than others, but the basic premise is the same. and to be honest, some christian sects are crazier than just about any other religion out there. I usually try to stay out of these arguments because there are alot of people i know who for all intensive purposes are very intelligent, but also happen to be christian and believe in some very silly things!!!

harold
3-Feb-2011
5:30:55 PM
I fail to see how an entire topic devoted to attacking Christians can be acceptable. May I suggest an addition to the Chockstone user policy 'Posts containing outright vilification on the basis of religion, race, sexual oriention (excepting Christianity) are not acceptable, unless of course its really funny!'
Of course Winston and certain others, you really aren't funny, which makes it all the more pathetic that your slagging off at the one religion that has the policy of turn the other cheek.

On the other hand ODH and Simey can insult me anytime because its mostly hilarious, but seriously topics like this should just be deleted as a waste of bandwidth.

dave h.
3-Feb-2011
5:50:56 PM
On 3/02/2011 hangdog wrote:

>Ah ha dave h i wondered when you would appear on this topic.

I noticed it earlier, but it didn't feel right writing a reply on the boss's time :)

> remember you are not "preaching to the converted" with this mob.
> Some of them are tainted by Satans work.

You mean they're in favour of ring-bolting? That is serious. I'll write to his Holiness, Ewbank the First, at once...

(Here is a link for anyone who wondered about my earlier allusion but couldn't be bothered googling).

On 3/02/2011 harold wrote:
>Of course Winston and certain others, you really aren't funny, ...

Mostly I haven't been particularly impressed, but I did think Winston's "One of you will belay me" was pretty funny.
dmnz
3-Feb-2011
6:21:43 PM
On 1/02/2011 Musique wrote:
>I "dear god!" and "jesus christ!" all the time whilst climbing. I also
>yell "b*tch" quite a bit too.
>
>
>I think he likes it.

haha

dmnz
3-Feb-2011
6:23:50 PM
On 2/02/2011 shortman wrote:
>Since this topic is kinda drifting-
>
Find me one thread on here that doesn't!
Duncan
3-Feb-2011
9:59:04 PM
Intents and purposes.
kieranl
3-Feb-2011
10:03:55 PM
Unmoderated threads about religion are pretty pointless, even, or especially, one that is a piss-take. Nothing very original or worthwhile gets said. Anyhow, a couple of idle thoughts before this thread disappears into deserved oblivion.

On 3/02/2011 Dutch wrote:
>Another dave, it amuses me why you think we should be slagging off all
>the religions not just one. Some may be crazier than others, but the basic
>premise is the same. and to be honest, some christian sects are crazier
>than just about any other religion out there.
I'm pretty sure that Scientology is so insane that it makes even Mormonism look somewhat credible (purely in relative terms). Probably the only positive out of this sect is the title "Bare-faced Messiah", the very unauthorised biography of L.Ron Hubbard. It would make a good climb name.

>Of course Winston and certain others, you really aren't funny, which makes
>it all the more pathetic that your slagging off at the one religion that
>has the policy of turn the other cheek.
I think you'll find there are some other religions out there that have that principle, though not necessarily expressed in those terms - Jainism for one

Miguel75
4-Feb-2011
12:09:36 AM
On 3/02/2011 kieranl wrote:
>Unmoderated threads about religion are pretty pointless, even, or especially,
>one that is a piss-take. Nothing very original or worthwhile gets said.

>I'm pretty sure that Scientology is so insane that it makes even Mormonism
>look somewhat credible (purely in relative terms).

Agreed Keiran, there's really nothing of worth in this topic apart from the Futurama quotes. I'm all for freedom of speech, and goodness knows I'm guilty of starting some pretty dodgy topics, but wonder why this pointless, non climbing related topic needs to be here at all.

As a practicing Mormon, I'm interested in hearing peoples views of Mormonism. I reckon casting a critical eyeball over your belief structure helps keep you in check and really understand what it is you believe in; be it Christianity, Buddhism or Rastafarianism.
rightarmbad
4-Feb-2011
12:27:59 AM
There is a climb at Kangaroo Point in Brisbane called 'Be a robot for Jesus'.

It is a reference to the Mormon church located on the road above.
I will climb that thing one day, just because I am so impressed with the title.
One Day Hero
4-Feb-2011
1:18:45 AM
Ok you farking heathens! Here are the 10 climbing commandments (with explanatory notes) which thou shalt obey or, or.......you'll be condemmed to an eternity of climbing nowhere but the following shitholes; Werribee, The Hole at Norton Summit, KP, Hollywood, Wingello, and Mt Kiera! Tremble in fear, fuchers!!!

(most of these rules are plagerised from the prophets; Claw, Barber, Fantini and Chouinard)

#1) Thou shalt not die!
(seriously, it makes the sport look bad, and having to climb past pools of blood is a bit gross and offputting)

#2) Thou shall, from time to time, climb slabs and offwidths.........so that thou doesn't get to thinking thou ist so hot!

#3) Thou shalt travel to climb (to broaden thyne mind, and to bone exotic foreigners)

#4) Thou shalt not seek to reconcile climbing with OH+S ideals! (its a no-win, people will still kill themselves, climbing will become bland, and the onset of external regulation will be expediated)

#5) Thou shalt not bone thyne climbing partner's little sister!...........unless she's super-hot and you're in a terrible drought. (your most valuable asset for getting cool climbing done is a good climbing partner, don't risk throwing it away unless one night with their sister is really worth it!)

#6) Thou shalt not dangle for an epoch at one place (lead or 2nd), thereby tearing thyne partner's arse! Thou shalt swallow thy pride, pull on the draw, and actually get some climbing done!

#7) Thou shalt not worship false climbing such as campus boards!

#8) Thou shalt not forsake sex for climbing......unless thy sex breaks commandment#5 (you wouldn't think this one was needed, but I've seen it happen!)

#9) Thou shalt not develop any more single pitch, 15m, crimpy, soft, facey, endurancey, ringbolted 22's on NSW crumblestone! (There are already enough of these in existance for any sane person to be bored shitless 5 times over, just stop it!)

#10) Thou shalt not profane the prophet Ewbank by devaluing his mighty grading system! (I'm looking at you here Monty, Dr Chris, Coolum boys).........I recently belayed Fred from Colorado on Lee Cujes new "29" in Vietnam...........he cruised to an onsight despite never having onsighted past 12c on real grades, I felt shame!

So let it be written, so let it be done..........you miserable farking arseclowns!
martym
4-Feb-2011
8:01:49 AM
On 4/02/2011 Miguel75 wrote:
>As a practicing Mormon, I'm interested in hearing peoples views of Mormonism.

I once listened to some door-to-doorers when I should have been studying; a few pointed questions later and I got bored and made them tea and wished them well.

To tell the truth though; I'm lazy and do all my research right here:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/episodes/s07e12-all-about-the-mormons

Miguel75
4-Feb-2011
8:41:08 AM
I too am lazy though found this answer definitive.

Winston Smith
4-Feb-2011
10:18:31 AM
>I fail to see how an entire topic devoted to attacking Christians can be
>acceptable. May I suggest an addition to the Chockstone user policy 'Posts
>containing outright vilification on the basis of religion, race, sexual
>oriention (excepting Christianity) are not acceptable, unless of course
>its really funny!'
>Of course Winston and certain others, you really aren't funny, which makes
>it all the more pathetic that your slagging off at the one religion that
>has the policy of turn the other cheek.
>

Put it this way Harry old son - for the greatest part of the last 2000 years I could have been tortured, murdered or incarcerated for criticising Christianity.

Now that it's receded to the point of impotency - ironically despite having an omnipotent superbeing as its apex - this is payback on behalf of all of those who have been ripped apart, burned, hanged, put to the sword or shot for believing in a concept that requires subservience, an unthinking herd mentality and a willingness to lead a life based on the contradictory scribblings of a group of deluded 'scholars".

If motorcycle riding climbers are relevant to this site then surely so too is questioning - albeit in an initially playful way - Christianity.

Requiescat Religion.

Page 3 of 15. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 280 | 281 to 286
There are 286 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints