ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 4 of 16. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 280 | 281 to 300 | 301 to 307
Author
Trashing Tassie ... it's beyond salvation
citationx
15-Mar-2011
1:49:37 PM
On 15/03/2011 Wendy wrote:
>On 15/03/2011 citationx wrote:
>>On 15/03/2011 One Day Hero wrote:
>>>On 15/03/2011 simey wrote:
>>> I haven't jumped ship to sporto-bolto camp. I just reckon its silly
>>to
>>>be staunchly anti-bolting at the Ben, and then bolt the living shit
>out
>>>of Hillwood and that poxy sandstone shitcrag near launceston (man, even
>>>bundy would think twice about developing such choss!)..........and then
>>>writing the pox up in your guidebook as if its awesome?!?!
>>
>>While I enjoy your rants and usually agree, i don't agree on this point.
>>That's like saying the Gallery is grid bolted so why not grid-bolt Asses
>>ears and/or Mt difficult? Two totally different kettle of fish.
>
>That's not the same argument, though, is it? It's more like if Joe or
>Neil, after developing the assorted sport crags they have around the Gramps
>suddenly jumped on their high horses about rap anchors such as on Tourist
>Buttress and went and chopped them, ranting and raving they would do the
>same to any others that appeared. Or that any bolts at all would ruin
>the feel of Mt Difficult (which does already have bolted routes anyway)
>and they would chop any that appeared. These are crags, like Araps, that
>demonstrate that it's not impossible to negotiated appropriate bolts/trad
>relationships on the one crag.
>
Those examples were the best two that I could come up with to demonstrate a point (clearly it was a sht attempt).
My point isn't about rap anchors, it's about ODHs view that someone is able to claim bolt-free status on one place while grid-bolting another, like they're contradicting their own ethos. To say you can't be anti-bolting at one place and pro bolting at another is nonsense, of course you can. You're trying to keep the ethics of each place intact. I don't think there's anything wrong to advocate bolts at crag A and not at crag B. Just because you gridbolted the sht out of A doesn't mean you can't argue that B should be bolt free as it seems that ODH is saying.

As for the actual situation here, I think Gerry is a tosser regarding his views and that one set of rap anchors SHOULD be at the top of frews flutes (i keep going back to one of my original bushwalks to alpine tassie - step on a cushion plant that has been growing for 50 years and watch it die over the coming weeks). Or maybe people should just start leaving tat up there again. By doing that hopefully it will keep Gerry walking up and down the Ben so often to check it out that we can climb without his presence at other crags...

As for Nick Hanc--k, I believe he was originally for rap anchors at the Ben until someone (somehow) convinced him that his views of having bolts for descent but not for ascent were contradictory and suddenly he was "enlightened", Zen-style.

tnd
15-Mar-2011
1:58:33 PM
Wow, that guy is the definition of loser.

tnd
15-Mar-2011
1:59:50 PM
Actually, perhaps I should take that back, on the grounds that calling Gerry N a loser is an insult to losers.

Eduardo Slabofvic
15-Mar-2011
2:01:09 PM
This thread is great! It seems to confirm that most Tasmainian climbers are c0ckheads. What new with that?
Winston Smith
15-Mar-2011
2:11:49 PM
Jed Parkes on thesarvo.com has created an online poll about bolted abseil stations on Ben Lomond:

http://www.thesarvo.com/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=199098380
tastrad
15-Mar-2011
3:04:45 PM
to TND, Better than being a c--khead like you
Winston Smith
15-Mar-2011
3:45:39 PM
On 15/03/2011 tastrad wrote:
>to TND, Better than being a c--khead like you

In the face of Gerry Narkowicz’s unrelenting arrogance I’d like to say publicly that I personally regret suggesting that the Sydney Rockclimbing Club donate $2000 from its guidebook fund to the production costs of the McMahon/Narkowicz Ben Lomond guide.

It’s an interesting contrast: one member of that guidebook writing team is an irascible but thoughtful character while the other is simply offensive and increasingly unhinged.

Oh yeah, and TND was also among the SRC members who championed the donation

nmonteith
15-Mar-2011
3:51:13 PM
No more personal attacks please.
Winston Smith
15-Mar-2011
4:00:20 PM
On 15/03/2011 nmonteith wrote:
>No more personal attacks please.

The horse may have bolted.

Obviously not to Ben Lomond.
Tastrad
15-Mar-2011
4:27:47 PM
The donation was much appreciated and was acknowledged as such. I hope you agree that the guidebook was a quality publication. Thanks again to the SRC

harold
15-Mar-2011
5:51:47 PM
I may be dreaming, but my memory of walking down from the Flutes is of walking on rock, I don't see how any damage/erosion can be caused by doing that. Please correct me if I am wrong, because I don't understand the big problem with walking down.
Also, I remember the base of the abseil having quite a bit of fragile dirt/vegetation.???? So what's the deal.

Sabu
15-Mar-2011
9:09:33 PM
Interesting how this thread suddenly exploded, with some very revealing posts. Frankly I'm a bit disappointed I bought the tassie selected guide....
simey
15-Mar-2011
9:37:36 PM
On 15/03/2011 harold wrote:
>I may be dreaming, but my memory of walking down from the Flutes is of walking on rock, I don't see how any damage/erosion can be caused by doing that.

I don't recall walking down on too much rock. The descent follows a lovely gully covered with alpine vegetation and which is often running with water. It seemed like a particularly delicate area as people trying to avoid getting wet feet will chew out new areas leading to increased erosion.
Wendy
15-Mar-2011
9:40:08 PM
Are people always this charming on thesarvo?
jesus
15-Mar-2011
10:02:33 PM
>>>Actually, perhaps I should take that back, on the grounds that calling Gerry N a >>>loser is an insult to losers.

>>>to TND, Better than being a c--khead like you

>>>Oh yeah, and TND was also among the SRC members who championed the >>>donation

>>>The donation was much appreciated and was acknowledged as such. I hope you >>>agree that the guidebook was a quality publication. Thanks again to the SRC

AHHHHHHHHHH .... doncha love it when christianity and capitalism kiss and make up ... maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate ...

salty crag
15-Mar-2011
10:03:25 PM
Having never climbed in Tassie I have no opinion on the bolt topic but I find this thread intriguing, weird, frustrating, puzzling and strangely I find myself being drawn back to it. The recent cluster of posts by chocky regulars leads me to think others might be likewise enthralled? I still agree with rodw's first reply and I'm going to re-read after a few more vino's.
jesus
15-Mar-2011
10:06:55 PM
>>>after a few more vino's.

With my blessings salty ...
jesus
15-Mar-2011
10:14:39 PM
>>>I hope you agree that the guidebook was a quality publication...

>>>Frankly I'm a bit disappointed I bought the tassie selected guide....

Well wotya do , right , wheneva ya feel the need to fertalise Simeys looooooovey gully vegetation , is ya take a couple of pages from Gerrys ' I am equal to jesus ' manifestos and :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c18zU79e2m8

salty crag
15-Mar-2011
10:15:54 PM
Appreciated j
One Day Hero
15-Mar-2011
10:21:34 PM
On 15/03/2011 Wendy wrote:
>
>That's not the same argument, though, is it? It's more like if Joe or
>Neil, after developing the assorted sport crags they have around the Gramps
>suddenly jumped on their high horses about rap anchors such as on Tourist
>Buttress

............I'm pretty sure that Neil got on here a while ago, advocating the debolting of Rosea so we could have a bolt free crag in the gramps.......for the record, I think that idea is silly (and especially funny coming from someone who has sunk so many bolts into worthless junk routes in the gramps)

Page 4 of 16. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 280 | 281 to 300 | 301 to 307
There are 307 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints