Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 3 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 76
Author
heatwave weekend
lacto
11-Jan-2010
12:55:16 PM
I would expect very few . Most live in towns or on farms where they undoubtly have fire minimisation work and reduced fuel load. they also would be aware of their options . Hopefully better prepared than the couple shown last night on telly , checking their petrol fire pump located between 2 poly water tanks with exposed pvc piping supplying water to the pump fine for a little fire but an inferno would melt the tanks and pipe work leaving them no protection . It is all about relative safety but get it wrong and you can be cooked . If you have no fixed home ie camping or holidaying then getting out is probably the only thing you can do to help yourself . Canberra fires also proved that being in an urban area is not the total solution .
hero
11-Jan-2010
12:57:35 PM
On 11/01/2010 Wendy wrote:

>I'd quite like the opportunity to swim alone in the horsham pool. Unfortunately,
>the 30 trillion other people using the facility get in the way of that.

Man Wendy, You are going at the wrong time. I usually have the place to my self. Maybe I smell.

And Eduardo, with you in charge it would be the Ninny State. :)
Wendy
11-Jan-2010
3:49:37 PM
With the govt asking us to keep an eye on our elderly neighbours throughout the heat, I did my civic duty and you can all rest assured that Simey is staying well hydrated and restricting his activity to his airconditioned house. Eduardo and Hero keep assuring us of their continued functioning on here, so I haven't extended my well meaning visits there. Mind you, do you guys have airconditioning? Maybe you do need a friendly visit ...

It also appears they haven't forcibly evicted people from the mount, although they have temporary barriers and signs up.

Eduardo Slabofvic
11-Jan-2010
4:23:00 PM
I'm being paid to sit ander an airconditioner

ambyeok
11-Jan-2010
4:32:59 PM
On 11/01/2010 Eduardo Slabofvic wrote:
>I'm being paid to sit ander an airconditioner

What, they couldnt find a milk crate?
hero
11-Jan-2010
4:48:57 PM
Wendy, You could go and check on my cat.

Eduardo Slabofvic
11-Jan-2010
4:57:01 PM
On 11/01/2010 hero wrote:
>Wendy, You could go and check on my cat.

Yes, Mrs Slokum.
ZERO
12-Jan-2010
10:39:01 AM
Thanks to jacq and Eduardo for maintaining a bit of rational and common sense in this discussion.
So, some people didn't get to climb for a whole day. My heart bleeds.
Surprisingly enough, nobody had to be rescued from dehydration either.
If you choose to ignore high risk warnings and the pooh hits the fan don't expect the cavalry to come running

And for those who think we have to evacuate the Wimmera on a Code Red day, that is just ridiculous.
It just means that you don't go putting yourself in high risk areas, such as the middle of a grassy paddock or an area that you can't outrun a fire running in a 45kmh wind.

Stay safe everyone.
hero
12-Jan-2010
11:25:05 AM
On 11/01/2010 Eduardo Slabofvic wrote:
>On 11/01/2010 hero wrote:
>>Wendy, You could go and check on my cat.
>
>Yes, Mrs Slokum.

I did not say pussy, Pussy.

And just so kayakersteve knows, Everywhere in the Wimmera is the middle of a grassy paddock. Except for the Parks.

Eduardo Slabofvic
12-Jan-2010
11:40:21 AM
On 11/01/2010 hero wrote:
>And Eduardo, with you in charge it would be the Ninny State. :)

I am in charge.
kieranl
12-Jan-2010
12:58:02 PM
On 12/01/2010 kayakerSteve wrote:
>And for those who think we have to evacuate the Wimmera on a Code Red
>day, that is just ridiculous.
>It just means that you don't go putting yourself in high risk areas, such
>as the middle of a grassy paddock or an area that you can't outrun a fire
>running in a 45kmh wind.
>
Well, yes, but that was the first cut of the advice given. When the advice is farcical what can you do but take the pale yellow steaming liquid.
We were further treated on the news to John Brumby in one clip advising Wimmera people to go to the safer place in Horsham. Cut to the next clip of the Horsham mayor saying that no "safer place" had been designated. He was quite sensible and, in an earlier interview, suggested that the pool was a good destination.
ZERO
12-Jan-2010
1:18:17 PM

the Horsham mayor saying that no "safer place" had been designated.
>He was quite sensible and, in an earlier interview, suggested that the
>pool was a good destination.

Yes the Mayor was QUITE SENSIBLE. And so should we all be.
hero
12-Jan-2010
8:41:07 PM
Actually the mayor was not quite sensible. Because the pool was where the emergency effort is to be directed from, and the last place you want 17000 people turning up is your control centre.

Zebedee
12-Jan-2010
11:03:11 PM
seriously this is bullshït my workplace, probably one of the safest places in a fire, now closes when the 'catastrophic' warning is given. As was always the case I'll be watching out for mine and the devil fũck the rest of youse.
dhunchak
13-Jan-2010
11:09:26 AM
I was climbing up on Central Gully Right Side on friday and we could see a fire off in the direction of
Natimuk in one of the paddocks. When we got into Nati the CFA said it was under control so we waited
a few hours and then went back to it. No one else in the pines seemed concerned about the fire at all,
the group next to us just said "oh yeah?" and continued relaxing when we told them what was lurking
over the horizon. Given that a fire had already occurred, I'm not too surprised the CFA was a bit
"negative nancy" over the weekend. I was impressed with their ability to control that fire under the
conditions, but with a bit more wind...

Side story: On thursday climbing Oh Bondage in the direct sun, the heels of my shoes heated up so
much I had second degree burns on the back of both my ankles. I had to pop the blisters with a knife
the next day to get my shoes on! It was bloody hot out there, but it was totally worth it.
hero
13-Jan-2010
11:37:48 AM
I think the CFA need to lesson from climbing. We quickly learned that the adjectival system gets quickly out of hand. Where do you go from catastrophic? Holocaustic (Israel thinks it's got a bit of a monopoly on that one), Armagedonish? Apocalyptic.

I suggest, like most sensible grading systems Mohs, Beaufort, Ewbank, and Richter that is numerical.
widewetandslippery
13-Jan-2010
11:51:01 AM
Hero I'm impressed. Lets dump the ewbank system. moh already had a rating system of hardness.
patto
13-Jan-2010
12:01:43 PM
On 13/01/2010 hero wrote:
>I think the CFA need to lesson from climbing. We quickly learned that the
>adjectival system gets quickly out of hand. Where do you go from catastrophic?
>Holocaustic (Israel thinks it's got a bit of a monopoly on that one), Armagedonish?
>Apocalyptic.
>
>I suggest, like most sensible grading systems Mohs, Beaufort, Ewbank,
>and Richter that is numerical.

Oh I would just LOOOVE to see the 'top' fire rating rated Holocaustic. The outcry would be hilarious. (would make australia is racist comments in regard to that KFC ad look tame)

The funny thing is that holocaust is completely the appropriate usuage for a devestating bushfire.

Eduardo Slabofvic
13-Jan-2010
12:17:13 PM
The language needs to be brought up to a modern colloquialism, along the following lines, lowest to
highest

Woh!
Cwarh!
Sheezeus!
Gnarly!
Heinous!
Way Heinous!

evanbb
13-Jan-2010
12:25:36 PM
Richter is logarithmic. That's test some powers of maths.

But, I've also heard that Ewbank is log or exponential; 'every increase in grade is twice as hard (ie, half as many people can do it).

Anyway, I'd like to see diabolical in the fire ratings, under Holocaustic, but above pretty shitty, sub-optimal and everything is okay, so stay calm.

Maybe an Everything Is Okay alarm would be good? Good for morale.

Page 3 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 76
There are 76 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints