ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 2 of 8. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 143
Author
dodgy retailers

MonkeyBoy
3-Sep-2009
2:58:22 PM
On 3/09/2009 ajfclark wrote:
>Were the red chillies lined? I'm pretty sure the top of the box my Anasazis
>came in said 'these are a lined shoe and will only stretch a 1/3 of a size
>rather than the usual full size an unlined pair would stretch' or some
>such. Maybe it was to shop attendant who told me though?

The box did say that, I kind of new they wouldn't stretch much - which is why I am not the author of this thread, i am still holding out hope for them though - not completley broken in as I keep chickening out and going back to the chilli's
StuE
3-Sep-2009
3:08:43 PM
You seem to accept no responsibility for your poor purchasing decision. I imagine that it went something like this... You really wanted a nice new shiny pair of shoes. You went into the shop but they didn't have your size. Disappointed, because you really, really wanted new shoes, you allowed yourself to be swayed by a little bit of spiel from the assistant and bought a smaller size even tho' deep down you knew they were the wrong size (as you know what your size is for that particular shoe). Now you complain because you think the shop should give you a hefty discount to cover your previous error?.........hmmmmm.

anthonyk
3-Sep-2009
3:17:30 PM
On 3/09/2009 StuE wrote:
>You seem to accept no responsibility for your poor purchasing decision.
>I imagine that it went something like this... You really wanted a nice
>new shiny pair of shoes. You went into the shop but they didn't have your
>size. Disappointed, because you really, really wanted new shoes, you allowed
>yourself to be swayed by a little bit of spiel from the assistant and bought
>a smaller size even tho' deep down you knew they were the wrong size (as
>you know what your size is for that particular shoe). Now you complain
>because you think the shop should give you a hefty discount to cover your
>previous error?.........hmmmmm.

StuE, if you ever start up a business, make sure you let me know so I can remember not to go there..
StuE
3-Sep-2009
3:24:53 PM
Aaaah c'mon. I'd have some sympathy for you if it was a shoe that you'd never worn before (I've made plenty of new shoe purchases that turned out to be complete sizing errors in the past). In those situations you are relying on the information you are receiving as you have no prior experience of the product. The situation is different with your normal shoe - You already have experience of its fit/stretch. If some assistant tried to tell me I could go a size or so smaller on my usual shoes I'd tell them to shove it.

Whats stopping you from cutting your losses and selling the wrong size shoes or getting them professionally stetched?

anthonyk
3-Sep-2009
3:27:50 PM
On 3/09/2009 StuE wrote:
>Aaaah c'mon. I'd have some sympathy for you if it was a shoe that you'd
>never worn before (I've made plenty of new shoe purchases that turned out
>to be complete sizing errors in the past) but if some assistant tried to
>tell me I could go a size or so smaller on my usual shoes I'd tell them
>to shove it.

?

I was trying them on because I wanted to find out what size to wear. No I was not experimenting with a size different to one I knew was right.
StuE
3-Sep-2009
3:35:15 PM
On 3/09/2009 anthonyk wrote:
>, i tried on a bunch of sizes and they were out of stock of the right size

This suggests that you were already aware of the right size.

anthonyk
3-Sep-2009
3:39:07 PM
On 3/09/2009 StuE wrote:
>On 3/09/2009 anthonyk wrote:
>>, i tried on a bunch of sizes and they were out of stock of the right
>size
>
>This suggests that you were already aware of the right size.

ok maybe i didn't word it quite right in the first place. either i tried on one smaller and one larger, and figured out the missing one in the middle was the right one or just figured from trying the one above it. whatever.

nmonteith
3-Sep-2009
3:44:14 PM
stop bringing logic into these discussions!

wallwombat
3-Sep-2009
3:45:06 PM
On 3/09/2009 anthonyk wrote:
>i'll give you a hint, i tried on one smaller and one larger, and through
>a feat of reasoning figured out the missing one in the middle was the right
>one

But you bought the ones that were too small anyway, and unless the shop assistant had some amazing hypnotic power of suggestion, you really do have to wear part of the blame for that. It came down to you making a choice and I believe that is what StuE is hinting at.

I have done the same thing in the past. Twice.
tastybigmac
3-Sep-2009
3:47:20 PM
bottom line is it is your foot in the shoe not the shop assistants. you have to make your own decisions and live with the consequenses. if the shop assistant lied to you ie. told you the shoe would stretch x amount you might have a case. otherwise suck it up and just go climbing. stop your whinging.

anthonyk
3-Sep-2009
3:51:44 PM
On 3/09/2009 wallwombat wrote:
>But you bought the ones that were too small anyway, and unless the shop
>assistant had some amazing hypnotic power of suggestion, you really do
>have to wear part of the blame for that. It came down to you making a choice
>and I believe that is what StuE is hinting at.

Sure. I made a judgement and said they were too small. The shop asst said they were perfect, and claimed he knew more about the shoes than me so his judgement is better. I trusted his judgement.

A shop should be willing to stand by that judgement when it turns out to be wrong, especially when they have insisted repeatedly that their judgement was better than mine.

I've bought the wrong sized shoes in the past and dealt with it. I'm mentioning this because its a special case of bad behaviour by a retailer, not only for giving bad advice, but for not standing up for it afterwards.

anthonyk
3-Sep-2009
4:03:34 PM
On 3/09/2009 tastybigmac wrote:
>suck it up and just go climbing. stop your whinging.

haha yes i won't argue with you there. i get vocal about this sort of thing because it saves getting annoyed or feeling ripped off. you should try it some time.

DavidC
3-Sep-2009
4:12:39 PM
I had a totally different experience with the same store. I had purchased a new helmet for a mountaineering trip and when I arrived I discovered that the headtorch clip was broken. After the trip I took it back and after the manager tried to find a replacement for the clip, I was given my money back instead.
They stated it was my fault and said I had broken it climbing etc but still gave me a refund.

climbingfool
3-Sep-2009
4:33:59 PM
slightly off topic, but it is a tale of sales staff at outdoors shops sometimes not knowing what they are talking about...

a friend of mine was in an accident involving a glacier, a crevasse and a helicopter. survived it but lost a lot of gear. went to a shop to buy a bunch of new gear. while doing so he tells the sales staff helping him about the accident. turns out the person has heard about the accident etc and tells my friend he should not have stopped on the glacier. exchange was like this:

shop guy: you shouldnt have stopped

friend: i didn't

shop guy: i heard you did

friend: i am telling you i didn't

shop guy: you shouldnt have stopped

friend: i did not stop, i was there, remember! (as he is putting stuff back on shelves and leaving store)

shop guy: i heard you stopped....

Duncan
3-Sep-2009
4:58:20 PM
I've only ever had good experiences at ME. I got the same advice on the same shoes at the same store and they've been my most favouritest shoes ever, and I've owned an absurd number of shoes. For me sizing them as small as physically possible WAS the right advice, and I'd definitely go through the pain of stretching katanas into awesomeness again.

MisterGribble
3-Sep-2009
5:21:35 PM
On 3/09/2009 widewetandslippery wrote:
>Do a shit in there dressing room and never go back.

That's a good name for a route if ever I heard one!
One Day Hero
3-Sep-2009
5:26:23 PM
Fitting climbing shoes is hard, some stretch more than others, some people have wierd shaped feet, some people have a high pain threshold and the desire to edge the shit out of stupid tiny stuff.

You can't expect the sales kids to have tried on every shoe, it's really your own responsibility to get it right. On the other hand, I've heard some shocking advice being pedalled by sales knobs who don't know nuthin'. Just sell 'em on, lose $50-100, and get over it, it'll be much better than suffering in too tight booties.
yankinoz
3-Sep-2009
5:32:45 PM
I'm not a big fan of ME but do have some membership thing that gets me some sort of discount. It seems like I had to pay something for the membership but it was less than the shoe discount. Pretty much the only thing I buy there is La Sportiva. They've cornered the market on those shoes so I suck it up and buy my shoes there. Yeah, I know my size and could order on line, but still feel better having a shoe on my foot before I pay for it just to be sure. Come to think of it, last time the guy who was helping me with my Muira VS was sure i needed a smaller size... I went with my normal size and have no regrets.

Trust your instinct.

I don't think ME is obligated to take em back. ebay em and order your size from the internets -- BTW, if they are size 40 Miura's PM me, if they are not too used I might be interested...

trog
3-Sep-2009
6:38:36 PM
ME have been ok for me and they seem to have quite a few climbers on staff... but the best service I've got was when I bought my first pair of Katanas (from ME), but the service was from another store: I mentioned I'd tried the Katanas in ME and liked them and the sales girl told me I should just go back and get them, and advised on how much stretch was in them. On my 3rd pair now...

I've found in most of the sydney gear shops that if you get served by an experienced climber, mostly they just want to get you in good gear... if you get a random general retail assistant who is more interested in selling travel packs and accessories then you've got to watch out

mattjr
3-Sep-2009
7:38:23 PM
If all else fails, chances are you'd find a buyer right here(Chockstone) for a fairly minimal loss.

Page 2 of 8. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 143
There are 143 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints