General Climbing Discussion

Author
What grade could a chimp climb?
27-Feb-2004
4:02:43 PM

nmonteith
27-Feb-2004
4:04:51 PM
I remember reading about monkeys in Thailand doing laps of grade 27's to retrieve bannanas that Wolfgang Gullich had placed in particular pockets!
James
27-Feb-2004
4:18:08 PM
I have heard stories about monkeys/chimps leaping metres & metres from trees-to-crag & crag-to-crag in Thailand (on grade mid-20s routes)
James
27-Feb-2004
4:52:58 PM
I have also had friends surrounded by hoards (10 or more) of chimps on belay ledges 3 pitches off the ground in Thailand.... apparently it was scary.... yellow teeth & screeching & stuff. Apparently they can be viscous (unintentionally?) if you have food & the chimp is hungry.

nmonteith
27-Feb-2004
5:03:58 PM
I watched a monkey drink a can of fosters then tear the can in half and lick the residue.... only in Thailand.

vwills
27-Feb-2004
5:24:11 PM
Viscous chimps- maybe thats the secret to their climbing success- they stick to the rock.

Rich
27-Feb-2004
9:57:16 PM
On 27/02/2004 vwills wrote:
>Viscous chimps- maybe thats the secret to their climbing success- they
>stick to the rock.
>
i was wondering if anyone was gonna pull that up hehe

my friend got scratched by a monkey in thailand when it was in the tree behind her as she was climbing.. i think she may have looked at it funny..

dan
28-Feb-2004
6:15:04 PM
As with many others my story comes from Thailand. Once a group of chimps was spooked all but one ran away. The other, cornered ran up a 32. But for the ethics police, it used the rings, invalidating it's onsight.
dodgy
1-Mar-2004
12:26:16 PM
Had a squirrel do the route just to my right in Colorado (Turkey Rock). We were doing a kind of layback, slab corner route (5.9ish). The route the squirrel leapt up was about 85 degrees 'slab' granite with no visible features... I reckon the worlds hardest slab that would have to clock in at 28+

Rich
1-Mar-2004
12:29:38 PM
yeh viscous relates to thick liquid.. synonyms - sticky, gluey, tacky, gelatinous, gummy.
dodgy
1-Mar-2004
2:22:38 PM
On 1/03/2004 Edward Frillypants wrote:
and repeating the mantra
>"I am a squirrel. I am a squirrel...."

I do, you should see the pile of nuts I've got...

Clancy
1-Mar-2004
2:39:23 PM
oh very droll...

who ever said climbers had no sense of humour? what they meant was bad taste right?

jens
1-Mar-2004
11:35:59 PM
Yeah, dodgy, but you're not supposed to carry them around in your mouth!

Or is that a hamster? They can't climb for SH%T!

shmalec
2-Mar-2004
4:49:24 PM
do you think a monkey has a genetic adventage in strength or could Tarzan climb just as hard? He always looked a little muscle bound for a climber....too much swimming I expect.

Rich
2-Mar-2004
10:21:53 PM
yeh for sure genetic advantage, check out their wingspan!! they bloody drag their knuckles on the ground.. not to mention the awesome power to weight ratio

GG
3-Mar-2004
2:04:30 PM
I found this by accident...

http://www.courier-tribune.com/nws/Chimps22.html

Wonderdog
4-Mar-2004
8:53:08 AM
I was climbing a 6B+ in Thailand when monkeys soloed up the 7a to my right. Quite impressive they were. Then they gathered in a tree below me (above my belayer) and basically screeched and gave me shit. Then ir rained, and the thunder scared the crap out of them, whilst the big brain humans stayed dry (it was a route that overhung 7 metres or so!).

There are 17 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints