Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 2 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 71
Author
Favourite route name
lacto
16-Nov-2007
9:27:05 PM
big ears at weeribee named as rack of noddy you give me the shits as he had put up a huge number of the climbs

BigMike
17-Nov-2007
1:50:32 AM

Thailand: "Lost sock in the laundromat of oblivion."

I believe it's now in an area where you can't climb, but the title was descriptive of the meandering nature of the route....

mousey
17-Nov-2007
5:52:51 AM
realised ultimate reality gumboot @ boyce, & where angels fear to tread

rodw
17-Nov-2007
8:19:37 AM
Bit of self promotion here, but I know the story for this name, my wife was at me to name a route after her, I had already done a few referencing my daughter and a God son so the pressure was on...finally i put up a route worthy at Mt K sydney,

She Who Must be Obeyed, grade 20.

And another, one my mate put up a Pumpy 23 at Sahara Pt, Resistance is Futile, I think is a top name for that style of route.

cruze
17-Nov-2007
9:55:13 AM
Booroomba: Peter Pan (ie Peter's panic), Moral Turpitude (John Smart bolting at Booroomba) and Immaculate Deception (gearless groove).

Piddo: Flake Crack (for the sheer brilliance, inuendo and subtle nuance)

sliamese
17-Nov-2007
9:16:21 PM
'Undyturd', really scary slab at coles bay!

'surface tension', a route above a kick-arse big lake!

riders on the storm, the jolly roger, exocet, los arcos de los vientos, mists of avalon, drasstissima, immaculate misconception

gordoste
17-Nov-2007
10:07:07 PM
Where Bovines Fear To Tread - a 22 at Felltimber (just outside Wodonga) which involves heel-hooking traverse along a slopey rail on the lip of an overhang... still haven't done it but would like to!
uwhp510
18-Nov-2007
11:55:40 AM
Dry Route (Booroomba)

It took me ages to get the innuendo.

tmarsh
18-Nov-2007
7:37:54 PM
Scrotal Misgivings. Can't remember which cliff it's at, but it's a magnificent name.

I'm also fond of Bosch Spice, Jesus Loves Me - the Poofter and Tourette's f---ing Syndrome.
brendane
18-Nov-2007
8:21:22 PM
Depleted gonad circumfrence (Nowra)

this was my first 18 - I thought it a fitting name at the time!

meinmuk
18-Nov-2007
8:55:19 PM
We can't leave out Be a robot for Jesus, situated just under the Mormon temple @ Kangaroo Point
prb
18-Nov-2007
10:46:48 PM
I like Ben Moon going over to France, putting up an 8c at Buoux (then the home of the French hardmen), and calling it Agincourt. Nice.
gfdonc
19-Nov-2007
8:18:20 AM
Also add "Mr Meaner" in the Bluies.
psd
19-Nov-2007
8:55:48 AM
"Organ Grinder" in the Wolgan - does exactly what it says on the box ...
hero
19-Nov-2007
8:59:40 AM
For puns,

Disguise the Limit (Araps)
Ground Cummin (Araps)

IdratherbeclimbingM9
19-Nov-2007
9:05:17 AM
On 16/11/2007 stugang wrote:
>Dear me another f---in theme crag, and the world is poorer for it
>
>Although I would say a pun is better than a theme, and smut is better than a pun. However, IMHO the combination of smut, a theme AND a pun would have to get my vote for the most atrocious route names in the world.
>
>People trying to prove how clever they are by a faux deep and meaningful route name has always made me want to puke

?

So; after eliminating all those categories; what kind of names do you like?

Me? I have always considered subtle double entendre as clever in its own way, and if conforming to a theme then it makes the route namer think a little harder.

Having said that though; I thought 'Lord Gumtree', was a brilliant send-up of the pretentious route names of the highbrow theme (like ‘Emperor, ‘Fuehrer’, ‘Monarch’, ‘Queen Elizabeth’ etc) established around the Buffalo Gorge up until then.

belayslave
19-Nov-2007
9:32:41 AM
"Yuddy Boody Noo" (or something similar!) at Hillwood in Tassie. I believe its translation from 10 year
old talk to understandable was something like, "Yucky i have a boogie up my nose". Gerry N can
confirm this one, but i think it was his son saying it to him one day while at the crag.

Also a big fan of "Steel hangers, pathetic nongs, yes i'm talking to you asshole" at Procters road quarry.
hero
19-Nov-2007
9:35:58 AM
Yes Stugang, I think you're missing the point with themes. Without them we wouldn't have such great names as on Duck Crag (Araps)

Watchtower Quack
Quistion Quack
Another One Bites the Duck
and

Anatadaphobia (Fear of Being Watched by A Duck)
widewetandslippery
19-Nov-2007
9:58:21 AM
Tammy Bakers Face (ugly route)
ithomas
19-Nov-2007
10:13:39 AM
My favourites are Crack of Pork and Pork of Doom on Sow's Spur at Coles Bay; probably named (by Bob McMahon and others) in answer to John Ewbank's classic Crack of Doom, near Dogface in the Blue Mountains.

Page 2 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 71
There are 71 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints