Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 97
Author
Buffalo Chalet to close open? / Skyways Pjt
WM
22-Sep-2006
11:09:00 AM
From http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/historic-mount-buffalo-chalet-to-close/2006/09/22/1158431869774.html

The historic Mount Buffalo Chalet, in Victoria's high country, will close early next year.

Workers at the chalet, which was built in 1910, have been told it would close on February 28 next year, a staff member said.

The worker directed all further inquiries to Melbourne-based developer Burbank Group Australia, which manages the resort.

The chalet, near Myrtleford in Victoria's north-east, is perched near the top of Mt Buffalo, and is on the doorstep of one of Victoria's most popular ski resorts.

But poor snowfalls this winter saw ski operations end in mid-August, more than a month before the official end of the ski season.

It was built by the Victorian government in 1910 in response to demand for tourism in the area.

The chalet was managed by the Victorian Railways from 1924 and later by other government departments until it was leased to the private sector by Parks Victoria in 1993.

The Burbank Group took over the lease in 2004.

Parks Victoria spokesman Alex Holt would not comment.

"We have not been formally advised by the lessee on this, so until we have further advice it would be inappropriate for me to comment on something that at the moment is just speculation," he said
kd
22-Sep-2006
11:16:11 AM
Oh no....

That place is soo cool... but its certainly not a product of the modern era...

nmonteith
22-Sep-2006
11:21:09 AM
No more biving in the crap south side hut - it is now free 5 star accomadation for all!!!!

gordoste
22-Sep-2006
11:39:46 AM
This is sad to see but actually I am not so surprised... it's been through a few owners recently. The bushfires a few years back really made it tough and the lack of snow this season is just the last straw.
I just hope it's not empty long enough for it to start to fall apart... I predict that the building will eventually be re-occupied after a few decent seasons.
citationx
23-Sep-2006
11:18:48 AM
On 22/09/2006 gordoste wrote:

>I predict that the building will eventually be re-occupied after a few
>decent seasons.

if you actually believe that there will be good seasons anymore.
as i trudged through 40cm of snow (if i was trudging through snow at all) at kosciuszko last weekend, i realised that a possible reason for the crap snow in comparison to the last few years was no cloud seeding in kosciuszko. the last couple of "bumper" seasons were assisted by snowy hydro "cloud seeding" in the area to get good water flows during the snow melt off in spring and summer. without the seeding, i wonder whether we would've had just as crap snow falls. but either way, with every glacier except those in patagonia in retreat, i dare say that we've probably screwed the earth just that bit too much already, and crap snow in australia is here to stay.

Richard
25-Sep-2006
12:57:39 PM
forget the snow then, maybe it will be the place to be when summers are +35 for 3 months straight...won't be affected by rising sea-levels either .!!

Phil Box
2-Oct-2006
10:05:23 AM
Dunno about global warming, the Barra season up in the gulf is late because it has been too cold to warm the water up to trip those fishes breeding cycle off and bring them on the bite, grrr, no Barra for Phil.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
16-Nov-2006
10:26:36 AM
fyi
I heard on local radio twice yesterday (two different stations), that this Saturday (18 Nov) there is going to be a public rally/demonstration in Bright, meeting at the clock tower at 11 am, in support of getting Vic Government / local politicians to assist in ensuring the Chalet stays open.
A timely event given the proximity of election day.
Apparently many participants are going dressed in the gear they would use for recreational pursuits in the Park to emphasise the diversity of support.
Paul
16-Nov-2006
10:48:40 AM
The challet is leased to the Burbank Group by Parks Victoria. There are large maintenance costs due to the fact that it is an old building. These large maintenance costs are more likely to be the factor which is making it non profitable to operate rather than decline in tourists due to lack of snow.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
16-Nov-2006
10:59:51 AM
I guess that is where the public wants the funding from Govt. for, due to the heritage value etc.
The building is 98 years old.
Would be a shame to see it close as it is coming up to 100 ...

>non profitable to operate rather than decline in tourists due to lack of snow.
I would have thought its summer trade would have equalled any winter trade it got.

Once it was owned by Vic. Railways and touted as a tourist destination through that medium.
If the Govt. buys back the railways (one of the present election promises), this might be a solution again, though the maintenance costs are still there.

Richard
16-Nov-2006
1:04:58 PM
There is a rally to save the chalet, sat 18th11am, in bright (uniting church opp clock tower).

As an outsider i don't know the full story, but seems the Alpine shire has not allowed improvement to the Chalet, such as self contained accomodation, that would be more appealing to families, and hence the chalet has been running at a loss. It appears that the Chalet is leased from parks vic, so the oppoerators of the chalet lease rely on PV to negotiate (with the council ) such concerns.

The opperators have just been awared the most improved bed and breakfast in the whole of victoria, but now with the closures are looking for new jobs.

Cheers, Richard

gordoste
16-Nov-2006
1:11:35 PM
Thanks for the info Richard!

This is all I could find: Border Mail from 09-11-2006

IdratherbeclimbingM9
19-Jan-2007
12:45:08 PM
There is considerable interest in getting it open again according to local ABC radio. Various politicians (local and otherwise) for tourism, heritage etc are now making the right kind of noises ...

Re the Cresta Valley Ski Lodge / Tatra Inn burning down; there is an inquest into this fire and it appears that it burnt during a change-over of shift for the firies in attendance who were designated the task of saving it.
... How embarrassment!

IdratherbeclimbingM9
22-Jul-2009
2:04:14 PM
Heard on ABC radio this morning that a new operator for Buffalo Chalet could be announced as early as the end of this month.

The only link I could find is here. It doesn't give further detail but does however tend to confirm...

I also heard (ABC radio again), that someone is proposing a cableway/gondola-skyway style of thing from the base of the mtn to the top (don't know specific location proposed), as a boost/benefit to tourism in the area. Possibly linked to federal stimulus $ package??
~> I have tried unsuccessfully at this stage, to get further info on this.

I tend to believe the ABC radio has credibility so am concerned about the latest proposal due it changing the vibe of the gorge* considerably.

(*If true and comes to pass, then I can't imagine them trying to put it elsewhere).

:-c
dalai
22-Jul-2009
2:20:57 PM
Glad to see the Chalet may open again. Looked pretty sorry all fenced in when I rode up there a couple of months ago!

Not so keen on the cable car!. Would ruin the impossing natural sight of the mountain on the drive in if there was such a thing built going up the gorge.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
22-Jul-2009
2:34:13 PM
On 22/07/2009 dalai wrote:
>Would ruin the impossing natural sight of the mountain on the drive in if there was such a thing built going up the gorge.

~> would likely ruin the flying experience of those who jump off the ramp with their flimsy flying craft also...
~> visions of bats caught in fencing wire come to mind.

The brits would have to refilm that monty python sketch too, as it would no longer be historically accurate!

MisterGribble
22-Jul-2009
3:31:16 PM
On 22/07/2009 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>I also heard (ABC radio again), that someone is proposing a cableway/gondola-skyway
>style of thing from the base of the mtn to the top (don't know specific
>location proposed).

At least you don't have that rotten walk down the South Side or rap down Comet Ramp to get to the foot of the North Wall.
I support that 100%
And we can all rejoice in the return of the Devonshire Tea at the cafe!

IdratherbeclimbingM9
22-Jul-2009
3:39:47 PM
On 22/07/2009 MisterGribble wrote:
>At least you don't have that rotten walk down the South Side or rap down
>Comet Ramp to get to the foot of the North Wall.
>I support that 100%

~> Not sure about aerial re-belays for the abseil out of a chairlift... Might be easier to play the dodge the cable game with the hang-gliders.

nmonteith
22-Jul-2009
3:40:42 PM
Cable would make a great after hours flying fox.

gordoste
22-Jul-2009
4:45:55 PM
what if the gondola came up from the buckland valley?

Page 1 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 97
There are 97 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints