nmonteith
8-Feb-2006
3:07:33 PM
www.carrotmag.com.au gets my vote.

Gunta Skirtpulla
8-Feb-2006
3:10:15 PM
spoogarama.com.au

(care of Goodvibes from cragx.com - NSW)

adski
8-Feb-2006
3:41:50 PM
I've always had a thing for SNATCH
but i guess I could make do with CARROT

Romfrantic
8-Feb-2006
4:19:01 PM
"Beta Carrot-zine" was posted over at qurank, I thought was funny..... but just stick with the simple "carrot" :-p

anthonyk
8-Feb-2006
5:27:39 PM
i reckon a quick flip through the nowra guide book should give a few ideas
jiminy cricket
8-Feb-2006
5:53:24 PM
On 8/02/2006 adski wrote:
>I've always had a thing for SNATCH
I'll bet. "Snatch: the delights of climbing down under" perhaps?

If "snatch" is for some reason unavailable, we might have to settle for "the drooping carrot"
Onsight
8-Feb-2006
6:37:43 PM
On 8/02/2006 kuu wrote:
>If the e-Zine is conceived as remaining a purely not-for-profit Climbing
>Community project and not at some time in the future becoming a commercial
>enterprise, then perhaps "www.carrot.org.au" might be suitable....

I think this should be discussed... If a national Zine is coming from the climbing community as it seems it is (and as I'd personally like to see it), rather than as a commercial venture for any one party in particular, then I think it should be non-profit and set up in a way that stays that way (pretty much). For it to be sustainable in the long run then those contributing their time, effort and resources (design/editing/organising and other contributors) will probably need to be reimbursed along the way - and there may even be ad revenue in it too to help (but that also takes work)...

Ultimately I’d like to see a paid editor who is answerable to some sort of non-profit group. And what if it takes off and opportunities and ambitions arise to grow this into other areas – like print? Thoughts?

nmonteith
8-Feb-2006
6:53:20 PM
On 8/02/2006 Onsight wrote:
> rather than as a commercial venture for any one party in particular,
>then I think it should be non-profit and set up in a way that stays that
>way (pretty much).

Damn - there goes my back order for the Hummer.

shaggy
8-Feb-2006
7:11:43 PM
On 8/02/2006 nmonteith wrote:
>Carrot - i like it! Very quirky and very Australian. Its just the sort
>of name we need to stand out from the
>crowd. Generic names like rock, climb, climbing etc just blur into one
>indentitiy. Carrot however is unique
>and original!
>
>What do others think?

Heh, I just caught up on chocky, this sounds great, How about the "Manky Carrot" :)

As Neil said, would be more than happy to tick more than one box, Photos, edit, table, blah blah blah.

Let's bring it on, get heaps of contribitors interested, get a non profit, non payed edition or two out, then take it around, and get advertisers on board, then start to think about paying people for their work.
I totally agree too, that this should be a NFP Organisation, for logitivity, and also for those minor benefits that goes along with it. Who knows, down the track, as simon said, have it's sister come out in print. So much scope involved and available.

End Transmission....

nmonteith
8-Feb-2006
7:19:44 PM
I say with format it FOR print - but don't actually print it out but instead email the PDF for distribution.
Lets others waste their printer ink. Good quality photos are important - thats what will set it apart from the
cheap and cheerful club newsletters. The end file size will be multiple megabytes - it is to be downloaded
- not emailed. Whoever ends up hosting this service will need to be able to handle large file uploads very
regularly.

anthonyk
8-Feb-2006
7:46:25 PM
>I say with format it FOR print - but don't actually print it out but instead
>email the PDF for distribution.
>Lets others waste their printer ink.

but if most people are going to be reading it online, isn't it better to format it nicely for a screen? i find reading A4 documents on a screen annoying, why make people scroll that little chunk at the top & bottom of each page when you can have it all nicely fit a browser window with nice links between the interesting bits. it also gives you the freedom of having more reactive devices, eg buttons that light up when you move over them etc and flash animations. sure that can be gimmicky, but it also gives more room for creativity in presentation. think outside the 210x297 A4 box!

mtnbear
8-Feb-2006
8:31:57 PM
If it's a huge file download, you would be limiting it to those who either have the high speed connections or have patience enough to download it on a dial up connection.

If i were on dial up, I wouldn't download something for ever just to have a good read... but thats just me. livin the McLife.

shaggy
8-Feb-2006
8:44:23 PM
I agree with both of you, make the e-mag, screen friendly, ie 1024 x 768 ish... but then also have the option of pdf download, and a properly formated pdf wont be that big, 2 meg download on a dial up, isn't that bad! The option for people to easily print, makes it more distributable, ie at the pines etc.... Many people without internet whilst on a climbing tour. The more people that read it, the more places it shows up, the better the distribution, which is what advertisers and sponcers look at.

kerroxapithecus
8-Feb-2006
9:12:17 PM
Climb-max
Climbactic

I'll help with the reading of it

Richard
8-Feb-2006
9:40:24 PM
yeah, format for screen viewing if you wish, but please make a pirintable version...try getting unintterputed time to sit in front of a PC with 1 baby ... just wait till another one comes along..if i can't climb i'd at least like to be able to read about climbing ..so the ablity to print and flick though off line would be appreciated....I'm sure I am not alone :-)

cheers !!

adski
8-Feb-2006
10:17:41 PM
On 8/02/2006 jiminy cricket wrote:
>>I've always had a thing for SNATCH
>I'll bet. "Snatch: the delights of climbing down under" perhaps?

nice add-on Jiminy!

>I say with format it FOR print - but don't actually print it out but instead
>email the PDF for distribution.

I think you mean email *a link to the PDF* for distribution ?

>Whoever ends up hosting this service will need to be able
>to handle large file uploads very regularly.

I can donate a hosting package with 1 Terabyte/month transfer, which *should* cover it :-D

Judging from the activity in this and other threads in this and other forums, there's defnitely enough interest to make a go of it eh?

nmonteith
9-Feb-2006
9:58:28 AM
On 8/02/2006 shaggy wrote:
>I agree with both of you, make the e-mag, screen friendly, ie 1024 x 768
>ish... but then also have the option of pdf download,

If we just make a website then why don't we just write articles for this website (ie Chockstone)? I don't
see the point of just creating 'another' Australian online area.

If the mag is going to look really good then we need a fixed format (not a multi-resolution reformatting
HTML page). I withdraw my design help if we make it into just a website! I hate clunky. The mag needs
to be something that people want to keep (ie print out) - a glossy reminder of the past 3 months - not a
quick fix internet solution.

garbie
9-Feb-2006
10:19:21 AM
I'd agree with Neil, has to be printable. Is there a way to make it look good on screen, and be a pdf as well? Is it easy to do two versions each time?

nmonteith
9-Feb-2006
10:39:13 AM
On 9/02/2006 garbie wrote:
>Is there a way to make it look
>good on screen, and be a pdf as well? Is it easy to do two versions each
>time?

No easy way. You would have to re-do everything if you wanted it to be 4:3 format (1024pix screen rez)
and then A4 size.

shaggy
9-Feb-2006
10:57:53 AM
Neil, I think you mis understood what I meant. I think that we need to have it available both ways, but without compromise to it's quality. On a screen, by the time you take away most peoples browser and title bar, what is left is basically portrait A4 proportions. So, my theory would be to have it a set format size on screen, ie 1024 wide, by 600 or whatever it works out to be. This way, when you download it to print it, it would be exactly the same, just a portrait oriented mag...

Page 3 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 99
There are 99 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints