Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 44
Author
Climbing idols

JBM
24-Nov-2005
10:33:08 PM
Not in any particular order:

1) Hot Henry Barber for his style and ethics
2) Sharma for his philosophy (possibly just a massive tolerance for weed?)
3) Barry Blanchard for being a Maestro of all disciplines
4) Steve House for his intensity
5) Andrew Linblade for continually answering the call
6) Lynn Hill for being SuperWoman
7) Yvon Chounard for ice climbing and BlackDiamond!!
8) The Huber Brothers for their ambition
9) The Benegas Brothers for their passion
10) Me... for being the fat bastard that continually trys to drag his carcass up routes that are over his head....

mousey
24-Nov-2005
10:54:21 PM
anyone who just has fun doing what they do
and all the dreamers- big dreams are awesome
simey
25-Nov-2005
7:29:10 AM
I gotta say that Tommy Caldwell's recent free ascent's of both The Nose and Free Rider on El Cap in under 24 hours is mind-blowing. I always thought Lynn Hill's one-day free ascent of The Nose was one of the great efforts of climbing last century, and yet now the bar has been risen to an unimaginable level. And this is by a guy who accidently chopped off half of his index finger a few years ago!

Peter Croft's soloing exploits speak for themselves. But should you ever read interviews with him, you can learn heaps from his approach to climbing and soloing.

Dean Potter's climbing exploits are also quite mind-boggling.

JJ
25-Nov-2005
8:58:37 AM
On 23/11/2005 phil_nev wrote:
>KP the man, the legend, the original energetic hard man. We can only aspire
>to be a hard nut like this lad.

Amen! Praise to the KP!!

gordoste
25-Nov-2005
11:15:24 AM
On 25/11/2005 simey wrote:
> And this is by a guy who accidently chopped off half of his index
>finger a few years ago!

I always thought it was his pinky finger...

Gunta Skirtpulla
25-Nov-2005
11:53:39 AM
Wolfgang Gullich
Stefan G
John Gill
The old school Yosemite hardmen & women (Ron Kauk, John Bachar, Lyn Hill..etc..)

and at the end of the day...anyone who is willing to give climbing a go and stick with it for the long haul
regardless if they tick 34 or 24 or 14!

tmarsh
25-Nov-2005
1:10:48 PM
On 25/11/2005 gordoste wrote:
>I always thought it was his pinky finger...

from elsewhere on the interweb:
December 4, 2001
Top American climber Tommy Caldwell, who in August freed the hardest line on the Diamond (the sheer East Face of Longs Peak in Colorado), was badly injured in a home-improvement accident at his Estes Park, Colorado house on November 29. Reportedly, Caldwell had been using a table saw to build a platform for his washer and drier when he inadvertently cut off his left index finger just above the middle knuckle. Beth Rodden was at home with Caldwell and helped find and ice the severed tip before getting him to the hospital. Caldwell’s finger has since been reattached with pins, and he is making good progress. He is expected to return home from the hospital on December 7. We wish him a full and speedy recovery.

The pins in the finger didn't work out as expected and he was subsequently given the option of reattatching the finger and facing a length convalescence or having the wound closed up and getting on with things. He chose the latter, and clearly is managing pretty well!

adski
27-Nov-2005
12:13:14 AM
Yvon Chouinard gets major kudos from me for being the pioneer of free climbing. Removable protection, what a great idea!
simey
27-Nov-2005
9:30:43 AM
On 27/11/2005 adski wrote:
>Yvon Chouinard gets major kudos from me for being the pioneer of free climbing.
>Removable protection, what a great idea!

I don't think you can call Yvon Chouinard the pioneer of free-climbing. People had been free-climbing for donkey's ages all around the world. I don't actually know that much about Chouinard, but I have read that in 1970 he apparently said... "I would never substitute a nut for a piton in a normal situation" !

There is no doubt that some of the equipment that his company manufactured (hexes, stoppers) made clean-climbing easier and in turn influenced free-climbing, but one needs to remember that prior to that climbers in Australia (and no doubt elsewhere) were already using bored-out machine nuts, while climbers in Eastern Europe were using knot protection.

I'm sure some of the old-timers on this site would be more knowledgeable of Chouinard's influence in the sixties and seventies and what climbing protection was already available.

Hatman
28-Nov-2005
7:25:02 PM
On 24/11/2005 mousey wrote:
>anyone who just has fun doing what they do
>and all the dreamers- big dreams are awesome

yeah i agree some times we loose sight of why the hell we climb! My idol is anyone who realy loves it and doesn't get all mixed up with the "image" or the TICK"

This is why we will go out even when its forcast for storms or when dont mind so much even when the day turns in to an epic.!

just remember big dreams make for big disapointment!
Take!
29-Nov-2005
1:53:17 PM
Mike Law was my idol before I grew out of such things as hero worship. For his pioneering, his writing and his nose thumbing at the so called 'rules'.

I remember borrowing his drill. He was giving me all this advice and I got all tongue tied and embarrased not knowing what to say because he was my, my... 'hero'. Silly, when I think back about it, haven't said boo to him since though.

Back then things were more local for me due to a lack of the internet, lack of money to buy magazines etc. You just saw people out climbing, read the FA names on guide books etc and thought, wow.

Its different now though I am still inspired by anyone who is pushing 'limits', taking their climbing to new levels AND having fun doing it.

Eduardo Slabofvic
29-Nov-2005
3:54:42 PM
Simey is my idle.
BA
29-Nov-2005
4:20:36 PM
On 29/11/2005 Eduardo Slabofvic wrote:
>Simey is my idle.

If we're talking "idles" I'll nominate myself. This year is looking at being my best, ie most idle, in the last 37 years :-(

kuu
29-Nov-2005
5:51:21 PM
On 29/11/2005 BA wrote:

>If we're talking "idles" I'll nominate myself. This year is looking at
>being my best, ie most idle, in the last 37 years :-(

Gee Bill, are you only 37?

Given your considerable contribution to the climbing community, in terms of Guide Books et cetera, I would have thought you'd been round much longer than that.

But getting back to the topic, I think my favourite 'idyll' would have to be Moonarie in the late afternoon of a warm October day.
BA
30-Nov-2005
12:25:38 PM
On 29/11/2005 kuu wrote:

>Gee Bill, are you only 37?

No, that's how long I've been involved with climbing. I've been idle for a lot longer than that :-)
gfdonc
30-Nov-2005
1:24:43 PM
On 30/11/2005 BA wrote:

>No, that's how long I've been involved with climbing. I've been idle for
>a lot longer than that :-)

Gee Bill, you mustn't be writing enough guidebooks then. ;-)

master of drung
1-Dec-2005
1:22:37 PM
always really dug walter bonatti also huge john muir fan, hb almost goes without saying

NEW2THEGAME
1-Dec-2005
1:44:28 PM
Its the quiet one you have to look out for Louise sheppard!!!!
NEVERCLIMBED32
2-Dec-2005
2:29:05 PM
Bill Atkinson

For teaching me the craft

Mark Whetu

For having to courage to quit his office job and forge a career as Alpine Guide, (and teaching me to ski).

BA
2-Dec-2005
3:35:48 PM
Probably the most influential when I was learning "the trade" were the Gledhill brothers. They were seriously into 'secret crags' and yet left enough for people like me to go sniffing around in their wake to see what crumbs we could pick up, all the plums were gone however. Look at their efforts at Buffalo. Consider their trip to Tassie to do the FA of Pericles (1300 feet, grade 13) on Geryon in a long weekend from Melbourne. Drive to airport Friday evening. Fly to Hobart. Drive to Lake St Clair. Walk into Geryon. Do the climb. Reverse the trip and be back at work on Tuesday morning. And besides I felt reall smug when I could tell them apart from each another.

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 44
There are 44 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints