General Climbing Discussion

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 37
Author
So what makes a good climber?

Chalk Free
24-Oct-2005
8:27:03 AM
On 23/10/2005 simey wrote:
>>The best climber is the one having the most fun.......
>
>What a lame-arse answer. Would you call climbing the North Face of the
>Eiger fun? I don't think so, but I'm sure any climber who has done it would
>be proud of their achievement.
>

If it's not fun then why do it? Achievement has something to do with fun/enjoyment.

cheesehead
24-Oct-2005
8:37:00 AM
Hmm, getting into difficult to definte territort. The Nordwand mordwand is getting into whacky 'almost sorta mountaineering territory' too....
'Fun' and something you are passionate about, addicted to, compelled to do, feel melancholy without, etc aren't all the same.
Perhaps if it remains fun through all that - wham! what a good climber you must be.

PS - Adski, any chance you can russle up the G Miller interview, or paraphrase?

adski
24-Oct-2005
9:35:02 AM
The interview was actually in Climb magazine issue 1.

The whole series of 4 mags is worth looking up for the creative approach they took with layouts, photography and articles. In my opinion it wouldn't be a problem for Rock to break out of their (shrinking) formula and publish a magazine with more emotion and less gloss.

Long live grainy photography!

Uncle Chester
24-Oct-2005
10:11:06 AM
a good climber is some one:
- who is funny.
-who you can trust when they are belaying.
-you can have fun with .
- who can tell you when your doing something wrong.
-you can borrow a bit of chalk off when your chalk bag is at home.
- who you can spend tuesday and thursday night at your local gym sitting on plastic chairs next to a woody with.
"The way a climber treats you will determine how you think about a climber"

so if your a cool dude your a good climber. simple.
Blah
24-Oct-2005
10:23:22 AM
Bang on the money.... I think we all get too concerned with other less imortant issues, such as grade.

DaCrux
24-Oct-2005
12:42:38 PM
A good climber is someone who climbs hard – but with style (hard meaning being able to climb something that someone else cannot). They need to have an appreciation of their environment and preserve climbing areas for future generations. They need to be safety conscious and aware of the laws of gravity – and how they can be bent. They need to be able to loosen up when elvis legs set in and remain cool, calm and collected. Good climbers need to know their own, as well as, their partners’ limits, be reliable and trustworthy. They need to be patient and empathetic. They need to be dedicated to climbing and would rather be on the rock than in front of their computer. They need to climb for fun – but remember that often “true adventures are no fun at all whilst they are actually happening”. And finally, they need to challenge themselves – and never give up. What makes a good climber? Passion.

Eduardo Slabofvic
24-Oct-2005
1:00:30 PM
A good climber is one who spends all day climbing, drinks hard liquor all night, keeps everyone else awake with their loud music, then gets up the next morning to do it all over again.
Blah
24-Oct-2005
1:24:57 PM
On 24/10/2005 adski wrote:
>The interview was actually in Climb magazine issue 1.
>
>The whole series of 4 mags is worth looking up for the creative approach
>they took with layouts, photography and articles. In my opinion it wouldn't
>be a problem for Rock to break out of their (shrinking) formula and publish
>a magazine with more emotion and less gloss.
>
>Long live grainy photography!

Climb ruled! Pity Rock is so staid. A mag that reflected all of Oz climbing, now there's a challenge for Rock. I get the impression that Rock only survives on the back of Wild... Every new issue is a case of ' ohh, new mag new mag.. followed two minutes later by hmm... same as the last one, I've already got this at home' and returned to the newsagent shelf. British OTE was great, a good model to look at. Far more interesting and I don't even live there... and the thing was re-readable too, even better. Articles worth filing away for future reference in Rock are few and far between...
Onsight
24-Oct-2005
1:58:03 PM
Rock has been discussed in many previous threads. Could we try and keep this one on topic?
Bob Saki
24-Oct-2005
1:58:27 PM
are good climbers born and not made

cheesehead
24-Oct-2005
3:19:58 PM
"He's more machine now than man, twisted and evil"
O. W. Kinobe

I guess they're crafted. A lot depends on the quality of material you have to work with

IdratherbeclimbingM9
24-Oct-2005
3:41:34 PM
On 22/10/2005 kerroxapithecus wrote:
>So what makes a good climber?
>brute strength? good eyesight? strength to weight ratio? Experience? No
>fear? Confidence? Hope? Prayers?
>
>what?

Morality; Compassion; A sense of others worth; Self effacement; Valueing community & history; Being prepared to sacrifice ones own life for the sake of others etc?
Heh, heh, heh.

Nick Kaz
24-Oct-2005
3:49:09 PM
On 24/10/2005 Eduardo Slabofvic wrote:
>A good climber is one who spends all day climbing, drinks hard liquor all
>night, keeps everyone else awake with their loud music, then gets up the
>next morning to do it all over again.

Woohoo im a good climber!
adamk
24-Oct-2005
3:56:31 PM
Why do we have to measure everything?

Sabu
24-Oct-2005
4:40:30 PM
On 24/10/2005 adamk wrote:
>Why do we have to measure everything?

cos it makes for good topics on rocklimbing forums.....
One Day Hero
25-Oct-2005
7:27:53 PM
"The best climber is the one getting the most poonany"

N. Monteith

nmonteith
25-Oct-2005
8:13:25 PM
pardon?

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 37
There are 37 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints