ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 9 of 9. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 171
Author
off-topic: climbers who ride bicycles
dalai
19-Aug-2015
12:05:08 AM
On 18/08/2015 phillipivan wrote:
>Did you ever finish the TR Dalai?

Sorry not yet... Procrastinated and now my wife is very ill so TR's and even riding on the backburner!
stugang
19-Aug-2015
12:26:08 PM
Very important question: Why do loads of single speed (not fixe) bikes have only a front brake?

Im considering getting rid of mine but only want to do it for the right reasons.

Rossco do you have one or two?

Eduardo Slabofvic
19-Aug-2015
12:48:09 PM
On 19/08/2015 Jayford4321 wrote:
>Very important question: Why do loads of single speed (not fixe) bikes
>have only a front brake?
>
>Im considering getting rid of mine but only want to do it for the right
>reasons.

Cause people who ride single speed bikes look much better after they have face planted a few times.

phillipivan
19-Aug-2015
7:36:44 PM
On 19/08/2015 dalai wrote:
>On 18/08/2015 phillipivan wrote:
>>Did you ever finish the TR Dalai?
>
>Sorry not yet... Procrastinated and now my wife is very ill so TR's and
>even riding on the backburner!

Best wishes on that front mate.
climberman
19-Aug-2015
8:52:07 PM
Rod

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1000461943321349&set=gm.446614472185834&type=1&theater

if the size fits is a reasonable deal. He's had it for sale for ages, might get it even better.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
20-Aug-2015
6:45:18 PM
Thanks all for the prompt responses, ... something I didn’t expect as I didn’t realise this thread was so popular! Also, sorry all for not getting back to you sooner as I have been distracted with other issues, amongst them treadlying(!) & I am pleased to say the distances, height gain within same, and technical skills have all been rising ;-)

Response (in order) to recent replies...

@ Capt Mulch
Yep, $1k would suit my budget (much) better and Trek is on my list of brands to research.

@ pi
Thanks for the tips.

@ climberman
Narrowing the field is what I am trying to achieve and your recommendations have helped in that respect.
I can’t see myself going carbon frame due the budget involved.
You recommend 29” (as does ES, & Dr Nick), ...
~> What are the advantages/disadvantages of 29” vs 27.5”, bearing in mind that what my current ride consists of is a rigid 26”?

Your most recent post was for a competition bike for sale in Wagga Wagga (half close to me!), and I appreciate your thinking of me when you saw that.
I have no idea where that bike fits in the spectrum of things, but accept your recommendation that it is a good buy.
I have since requested access to that linked site and will keep an eye on it, plus I looked up the link to it that you provided. $2k is at the upper limit of my budget and I’d like to score the peripherals in that $, ie foot-pegs if necessary, pump, etc whatever!

@ES
One of the local riders loaned me his sons dual suspension bike for a ride. After trying it, this is the primary factor behind my deciding to upgrade to one, as I was able to ride over obstacles with ease that I previously had to either be super-careful on, or dismount and carry over...
I also noticed that it let me run much faster over rutted terrain that I had previously ridden.
Another side benefit was that an old elbow injury I have did not complain as much after such riding!

Re duelies, weight isn’t an issue (as you indicated), as the benefits re comfort (compared to my rigid bike), over rocky terrain greatly outweigh any disadvantages!

>mid range on the running gear

?
Could you please elaborate.

@ Dr Nick
You are correct about my budget preference.
Your listing of hierarchy of suspension is very useful to me!
Re gearing, anything better than the 21 jobbie I am currently on will be good. ;-)
Thanks for the tips re other links to check out.

@ martym
I appreciate the alternative point of view.
I am not in any great hurry* to upgrade, and was hoping to upgrade to a discard bike from a seldom-used-biking cashed-up yuppie(?) type person, who wants to upgrade their status symbol themself!
;-)

(*The logic at present is that if I am working hard on my rigid jobbie, then it at least fits the criteria of keeping me fit!! Heh, heh, heh).

Thanks again all for your responses.
Cheers,
Idra~>M9

IdratherbeclimbingM9
20-Aug-2015
6:48:43 PM
On 19/08/2015 phillipivan wrote:
>On 19/08/2015 dalai wrote:
>>On 18/08/2015 phillipivan wrote:
>>>Did you ever finish the TR Dalai?
>>
>>Sorry not yet... Procrastinated and now my wife is very ill so TR's and
>>even riding on the backburner!
>
>Best wishes on that front mate.

+1

Eduardo Slabofvic
20-Aug-2015
10:48:52 PM
On 20/08/2015 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>
>>mid range on the running gear
>
>?
>Could you please elaborate.
Don't get the expensive stuff and don't get the cheep stuff - get the mid range price wise - a compromise on performance vs durability.

I like my duelie too. I love the way it kind of floats/bobbles along over rough surface, but I also like multi day touring on my hard tail with paniers. I don't like big air landings when I can't control the shift in center of gravity (NB - I don't really like big air at the best of time either. I've got enough scar tissue already, thanks very much).

Remember, that the total number of bike you can have is when you achieve N+1=S-1

Where N = the number of bike you have; and S = the number of bikes you have that causes your lover to leave you.

You'll have to give some trip reports on some rides up your way - we can compare notes
martym
21-Aug-2015
5:32:07 AM
I assume you are not a short statured person; so. 29" will add to the benefit of dual suspension in that the wheels will simply absorb more impact and resistance by virtue of being larger. The downside is if you are in a rural area inner tubes may be harder to come by in an emergency - while Schrader valve 26 are the most common.

As to finding some schmo who bought a $4000 mountain bike and left it in the cellar without dirtying it only to buy a $5000 one to make themself feel better... I dunno how that strategy will work. Bicycles don't have odometers...
And if you are riding a fricking RIGID off road and covering good ground - a bloody kmart dualy will already improve things!
Just bear in mind that bikes are not climbing gear - replacing individual components will end up costing more than the bike itself before long.
climberman
21-Aug-2015
9:37:10 AM
Now wukkas Rod.

Heaps of bikes are sold without pedals. New bikes often come with a very cheap flat pedal in the expectation you'll swap them out with your own first thing, or even before it leaves the store.

Second hand bikes are sold without them as there are a number of different cleat types and stuff - people have theor own preferences in relation to the way they click in, or release, or weigh, or whatever.

Also, bizarrely, pedals that you clip into to be attached to the bike are called clipless pedals, as they arent; lime old school track bike straps that you are clipped into.

phillipivan
21-Aug-2015
3:48:22 PM
On 21/08/2015 climberman wrote:
>Also, bizarrely, pedals that you clip into to be attached to the bike
>are called clipless pedals, as they arent

It's a great way of confusing folks new to the sport.

Page 9 of 9. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 171
There are 171 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints