ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 6 of 9. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 171
Author
off-topic: climbers who ride bicycles
dalai
5-Feb-2007
9:06:13 AM
On 4/02/2007 M9iswhereitsat wrote:
>The Audax Alpine Classic (Bright / Tawonga / Buffalo area), was held recently
>and the weather was the kindest (fine & 23 degrees - unusual temperature
>for summer!), they have ever had for it.
>How'd you go this year dalai / others?

With the house renovation/extension taking all my time over the last 4 months, I hadn't swung a leg over the bike. So I decided in the interests of self preservation to bail out at the last minute, and in doing so missing out on the best conditions in years!!!(especially after last years 42 degrees)
stuart
5-Feb-2007
3:30:22 PM
>The Audax Alpine Classic
>How'd you go this year dalai / others?

I went and had a bash. Did the 200km run - all four climbs, 3500metres of vert - with the 6.20am start, and I gotta say the temperature was extremely kind to all. The sun was out so there was a need for plenty of sunscreen, but things never got uncomfortable heat-wise. The peaks were very cool on top; you didn't want to hang around to long after your ascent lest the teeth started chattering.

Coming down the first descent on Tawonga in the very early morning of a perfect day into Mount Beauty was the most beautiful + brilliant thing. A great part of Australia. Geez I'm glad I dragged my bum out for some training beforehand.

Was heartening to see how little Buffalo had copped it in a serious way from the fires. Some damage, but the regrowth from 2003 was largely still intact.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
29-Aug-2013
4:15:02 PM
One for this thread*...
(* Not to be confused with the other one of similar name).

Mountain bikers are beginning to dread the phrase ‘rights of way improvement’ as it almost invariably means that another trail has been sanitised.

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=68302

Simply playing the faceless bureaucrat hamstrung by rules and regulations isn’t good enough any more. Those who purport to administer and protect our countryside have to be prepared to engage with those who enjoy its beauty.

It would seem that the sanitisation of adventure is happening everywhere?
;-)

pezz
4-Sep-2013
10:57:18 PM
used to ride downhill, but nowadays i just burn about on a reid fixie
hero
8-Oct-2013
2:24:28 PM
For those of you with a lycra fetish (and I'm not talking tights):

The theme for this years Nati Frin http://natifrinj.com is bicycle power. We will have high tech pushy powered games, and low tech puppet races. There will be dancing to * Foot Felix if you are willing to contribute to power the lights and amps.

There is a workshop this saturday to create other bike powered creations. Have you always wanted to make a pushy powered microwave, blender, mother's little helper? Now's your chance.

Also, there is a game where you can race up the hill using Virtual Reality googles. Now's your chance to compete with Steve, Gordy and H.

ChuckNorris
3-Apr-2014
8:54:03 PM
Though it is in Richmond and not Abbotsford, I daresay the folk at Abbotsford cycles are pretty awesome. They make me want to break my bike, as I always know there is some old knarly dude who knows how to fix it for nix.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
12-May-2014
10:49:13 AM
Found something that some who appreciate this thread may like...

A joke!

Picture one of those balmy sunny weekend days, you know, those rare occasions that happen maybe once or twice a year. the weathers perfect, traffic is minimal and you're in the right frame of mind for a spin on the bike.

Well a few weeks ago such conditions presented themselves and off I went, all relaxed and at one with the world, just tootling along minding my own business when....BLAM a violent blast of noise followed by buffetting from slipstream....I recovered my senses to see some sort of Harley barrelling down the road. The noise was deafening and he was really shifting. I raised and eyebrow to myself but I was determined not to let anything destroy my tranquil afternoon when, of all things, the idiot went and gave me the finger.....!!!!!!!

Now I'm not one to easily get angry but I must admit the red mist came down and I took off in pursuit.
I slowly gained on him, when, he glanced in his Iron Cross mirror dropped a cog and shot off. Wow, that thing could shift but the race was on, honour needed to be served. There was no turning back.

I managed to stick to his tail for a couple of kilometres but it was hard work. His bike was obviously not standard and he was leaving me for dead in the straights but I could claw back the distance lost in the bends, and I knew this road. Up ahead was a couple of kilometres of really twisty road, perfect.

I stayed in touch and held on until we arrived at the point where I knew I had the advantage. as we went through the first left hander I saw my opponent glance nervously in his mirror and I sensed his fear, he knew his advantage was lost.
Within the first three corners I was right on his back wheel, the roar and blast from his straight through pipes pounded my face, the sparks from his pegs showered me but there was to be no turning back.

At the next bend I showed him my front wheel and he responded with a twist of throttle that had the rear tyre spinning leaving a black line down the road, the back of his bike weaving. He was on the ragged edge and I knew I had him.

We tipped into a left and I got on the inside, then flicked into a hard right, this allowed him to edge away again but I knew the next blind corner was a long left and I had the line. As we entered the corner I grit my teeth, now or never, this was it. I got my front wheel ahead and hit the apex spot on, forcing him wide and as I straightened up coming out of the corner I was ahead, I'd done it.

I look over my shoulder to see him falling back behind me, and, he raised his hand in salute before turning off and away.
I pulled over to the side of the road, I needed a drink.
I was elated but shaking all over, bathed in sweat but happy.. I had won.

And I can tell you, he was a good rider. I can honestly say I’ve never pedalled that push bike so hard in my life!!!!!!!!!!

IdratherbeclimbingM9
9-Apr-2015
4:41:19 PM
OK. Today I re-entered the treadly brigade...

I did 21 Km on the treadly (in the uphill & singletrack portions), and am still feeling suitably knackered...
0830 to 1115 time involved...
As I passed certain intersections in the Yack State Forest area I noted to myself that motorcycles rule!

~> perhaps I am not as 'not out of fit' as I thought I am?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
9-Apr-2015
5:21:24 PM
On 9/04/2015 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>~> perhaps I am not as 'not out of fit' as I thought I am?
?
... I still feel stuffed!

~> so when will dalai come to my rescue and tell me that I will survive this dal(ai)emma?
Heh, heh, heh,
dalai
9-Apr-2015
8:40:14 PM
I'm solo bikepacking the ~900km Mawson trail next month. Want to tag along? ;-)

First anniversary for my collarbone next week. Shoulder range restored though still weaker... Will be looking at getting the plate and screws removed later this year, as it still doesn't like pack straps and a couple of screws stick out so is uncomfortable getting neck massages with the tendons catching!

IdratherbeclimbingM9
13-Apr-2015
10:55:48 AM
On 9/04/2015 dalai wrote:
>I'm solo bikepacking the ~900km Mawson trail next month. Want to tag along?
>;-)

I'd never heard of it till you mentioned it here and have since done some homework.
Adelaide to Blinman in the North Flinders Ranges, South Australia - about 900km mostly unsealed.
It’s hard to generalise about the road condition except to say a mountain bike with fat tyres would be useful. There’s every type of road surface except deep sand.

It is designed for mountain bike or sturdy touring bike use - it is not suitable for road bikes. There are several steep uphill sections, and prolonged or heavy rain on unmade tracks will make cycling very slow or impossible.

The Mawson is a mountain bike trail, rather than a cycle tour, over pre-existing unsealed back roads, forestry tracks, fire trails, farm roads etc that has had plenty of signage installed along the way. It’s a fantastic introduction to off-highway dirt track riding, more challenging than you might think, particularly the steep sections on the first few days when you head through the Adelaide Hills and into the Barossa Valley. The whole track is scenic but the north section through the Flinders Ranges is particularly dramatic.

Some other info I found that might interest you if you don't already know...
You only really need to consider water as an issue once you are heading out of Quorn. Even then it’s usually only one night out and two days. Before that you are only usually carrying water for the day.

&

Following recent fires in the mid north, the Mawson Trail was burnt on the “Block Nine Rd from Forestry Rd to White Park Rd at Wirrabara”, please liaise with ForestrySA on access to this area. A reroute is being investigated.

It sounds great!
There is half a chance I could see you out there in the northern section, but I won't be on a treadly...
;-)

>
>First anniversary for my collarbone next week. Shoulder range restored
>though still weaker... Will be looking at getting the plate and screws
>removed later this year, as it still doesn't like pack straps and a couple
>of screws stick out so is uncomfortable getting neck massages with the
>tendons catching!

It is good that you have recovered to this extent, as your stable of treadlies must have been feeling a bit neglected during the year.

dalai
13-Apr-2015
11:48:39 AM
Thanks for the details, but I have all the maps plus been researching for months! Haven't been able to get in a few overnighters as planned to test out the new kit so set up the new tent in the backyard last Friday night... Tent, sleeping quilt and sleeping mat total weight is under 2kg.

Bikes were feeling lonely but have been back racing since mid January... Did add a 'new' bike to the stable replacing the bike written off bike from my crash. :-)

phillipivan
13-Apr-2015
12:32:01 PM
Classic Aussie track bike. Are you racing northern combine Dalai?
dalai
13-Apr-2015
12:53:24 PM
No I am a member of Blackburn CC so in the Eastern Combine region. Actually wish I could ride Northern as their are more road races in their calendar. Raced the 3 day tour a while back and really enjoyed the racing around Lancefield! Eastern is mostly crits out at Casey fields through winter...

You're racing Northern?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
13-Apr-2015
1:16:44 PM
On 13/04/2015 dalai wrote:
>Haven't been able to get in a few overnighters as planned to test
>out the new kit so set up the new tent in the backyard last Friday night...
>Tent, sleeping quilt and sleeping mat total weight is under 2kg.
>
Backyards rule! Well I remember testing out gear in similar fashion.

Custom or store bought gear?
May in Flinders can have cool nights, but by the sounds of it you are confident it will handle it.
How much adverse weather (wet wise), do you think the tent will handle?
The quest for quality lightweight gear can be often ongoing...
~> I am still trying to obtain an aussie made super-lightweight (but large) custom tarp for a me&bike shelter, but the fellow I was going to get it made by is constantly overseas doing his lightweight trips!

Your trip doesn't sound supported though at least I assume that someone is picking you up at the end?

Interesting bike (pic).
Being a treadly novice, I assume the rectangular 'patch' on the rear wheel is actually a patch of sorts?
dalai
13-Apr-2015
3:21:01 PM
Store bought, though the Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilt is made to order – you can decide from a range of lengths and widths plus, temp ratings and dry treated or regular down fill. I went with wide and long dry treated 800 fill – 1 degree which weighs in at only 550g!

Tent is a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 1051g incl. footprint and mat is a Klymit X Frame 340g.

Whether I can handle the cold is a good question given the mat isn't insulated - but will be taking merino longs, merino beenie, polypro gloves, merino jersey 100 Altica fleece pullover plus 800 fill Marmot down jacket for off the bike so may resort to wearing some or all at night!

As to waterproof, tent should hopefully be okay; though limitation with the design is when opening the vestibule to get in and out exposes the sleeping area so will need to avoid doing this too much if raining.

Trip is solo unsupported. Just need to make sure I make it to Parachilna for the Thursday bus (only one of two buses a week) heading back to Adelaide!

Re: tape on the rear disc is to cover the valve hole - more aero.

phillipivan
13-Apr-2015
6:28:07 PM
On 13/04/2015 dalai wrote:
>No I am a member of Blackburn CC so in the Eastern Combine region. Actually
>wish I could ride Northern as their are more road races in their calendar.
>Raced the 3 day tour a while back and really enjoyed the racing around
>Lancefield! Eastern is mostly crits out at Casey fields through winter...
>
>You're racing Northern?

Yep. I live fairly close to many of their road race circuits so its quite convenient. Or it will be, this will be my first season racing. I got to ride through Lancefield this afternoon, via the Sidonia, Burke & Wills Track, Roachford Road circuit if you are familiar with that.

Miguel75
13-Apr-2015
7:55:40 PM
Sounds like you're in for a rad trip Dalai. I hope everything goes to plan. Are you pulling a trailer for food/gear or going with panniers?
dalai
13-Apr-2015
8:38:28 PM
Yes know the circuit phillipivan. Great terrain to race out that way, you will enjoy!

No trailer or panniers Miguel75, hence the ultralight camping set up. I'm actually planning to bikepack it - so larger saddle bag, frame bag and handlebar roll. Might have to also wear a small day pack so I can take a bladder to carry a few extra litres of water for the section north of Quorn. I'm planning on ~ 100km days, so should be passing through at least one town a day to restock / buy a meal.
dalai
13-Apr-2015
11:15:24 PM
On 13/04/2015 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>~> I am still trying to obtain an aussie made super-lightweight (but large)
>custom tarp for a me&bike shelter, but the fellow I was going to get it
>made by is constantly overseas doing his lightweight trips!

These guys may be able to help?

Terrarosagear

Page 6 of 9. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 171
There are 171 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints