Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
"Southern Faces" premiere - Sydney.

Phil S
17-Jun-2005
1:02:05 PM
Winner of 2005 Wanaka Mountain Film Festival (Best NZ film), "Southern Faces" will receive a special screening at The Valhalla (166 Glebe Point Road, Glebe) on Monday 4th July @ 8pm. Tickets $10.00 in advance through Mountain Equipment and $12.00 at the door (if available).

This event is a fund raiser for a private expedition to attempt an unclimbed route deep in the Karakoram Mountains in Pakistan (Sorry: I'm a bit sketchy on details).
kiwiJC
17-Jun-2005
2:31:38 PM
Thanks Phil for putting out the info regarding the Southern Faces screening. I produced the film and can add in a few more details. Below is a general speal we've been sending out to people, for more info get in touch with me at jonathonclearwater@gmail.com. Also, the film premiere is not a fundraiser for the expedition to Pakistan. I am off to Pakistan next month, but they're completely separate endeavours.

Fresh from a win at the 2005 Wanaka Mountain Film Festival, "Southern
Faces" is all set for its Australian premiere on July 4th in Sydney.

Southern Faces is a feature length film about the NZ climbing scene.
It's a comprehensive film that covers all aspects of rock climbing,
from bouldering to sport routes, to multi-pitch trad lines. It's about
Kiwi climbers in their element pushing their personal limits (and in
some cases pushing the limits of sanity). The film is not just a
hard-cranking climbing video. The film-makers try and capture the
current South Island climbing scene and have included loads of
information and interviews at each of the areas they feature: Paynes,
Charleston, Castle Hill, Port Hills, Dunedin, Wanaka and the Darrans.
Highlights include Derek Thatcher on his grade 32 testpiece
Catalepsies at the Babylon Wall, rare footage of a slightly icy ascent
of the classic alpine rock route Labyrinth in the Darrans and a
kick-ass soundtrack.

Details as follows:

Southern Faces Australian Premiere
8pm Monday July 4th
Valhalla Cinema
166 Glebe Point Road
Tickets $10 @ Mountain Equipment
$12 @ the door

Playing one night only, with a special screening of short film "On
Belay (fall when ready)"

For more info email jonathonclearwater@gmail.com and check out
www.southernfaces.co.nz

Romfrantic
17-Jun-2005
2:38:01 PM
Thanks kiwiJC

Might also want to add the movie to the "REVIEWS" section here at chockstone :-)

http://www.chockstone.org/Media/Review.asp?LimitFormat=MV

nmonteith
17-Jun-2005
2:45:57 PM
Is there an online trailer?
kiwiJC
17-Jun-2005
2:51:09 PM
I'm trying to get one set up... I'll keep you posted

animaland
22-Jun-2005
8:58:06 AM
I saw this DVD when I was over in NZ earlier this year... thoroughly enjoyed it!

There is a lot of great climbing footage. Most areas around the island get their moment in the sun, and all
your fave NZ climbing personalities get to say a few deep words.

...well worth a look!

Alan

PS... watch out for the biggest "mobile handhold" ever seen on film... lucky nobody was seriously
squished!

NEVERCLIMBED32
29-Jun-2005
6:37:44 PM
Sounds great ...How about a sceening in Melbourne
climberman
30-Jun-2005
9:32:50 AM
I'll be toodling along with a mate or two. Any chockstoners going ?

Romfrantic
30-Jun-2005
9:41:17 AM
Yes, a whole heap of us are going as well (UNSWOC, SURMC, etc..)...as well as some from the NZAC.

By the way, Jonathon will be giving us a short intro and sneak preview of the film tomorrow night (Friday 1 July) at the NZAC meeting in Sydney! (that one is at 7pm, 51 Druitt St Sydney - all welcome).
kiwiJC
30-Jun-2005
12:24:05 PM
We're waiting to see how the Sydney screening goes before deciding on one in Melbourne. Pretty keen to have one though, especially as there appears to be quite a bit of interest. If anyone has any advice for venues etc then please let me know (jonathonclearwater@gmail.com).

Romfrantic
5-Jul-2005
9:55:33 AM
Great stuff kiwiJC ! ..you guys did really well last night in Sydney :-)
For those who were there, write your reviews HERE...
climberman
5-Jul-2005
10:50:06 AM
kiwi JC - Melbourne deserves to see it. Hope you find a good location - the Val was great. Hope it turned a dollar for you as well.
climberman
5-Jul-2005
10:54:08 AM
Rom - did you eat at the Toxteth ?
kiwiJC
5-Jul-2005
11:16:57 AM
Cheers. Stoked with the turn-out and great reception. Val was awesome. Due to Sydney success we're keen to hold a screening in Melbourne. Lani's pretty busy at the moment and I'm away for a while, but we might look at setting something up for early September. If anyone knows of a good venue please let me know.

Romfrantic
5-Jul-2005
12:50:22 PM
On 5/07/2005 climberman wrote:
>Rom - did you eat at the Toxteth ?
No. Was a tad late, had to pick up the 1+ from work and we ate at a pizzeria on Glebe Pt Rd...then a coffee just before the start, at the cafe next door to Val. Next time, we should meet up!

kiwiJC, I'll contact the Melbourne NZAC people to get in touch with you - they may have a suggestion for venue for you. All the best :-)

Gunta Skirtpulla
5-Jul-2005
12:52:55 PM
great show KiwiJC. Hope to see more movies from you guys in the future.
The trip to Castle Hill is now in the pipeline. Just from the scenary, the place ranks up as a world class
boulder destination. Probably better weather than Font and lots prettier on the eye than Hueco.

There are 16 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints