Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 37
Author
Photos of Noddy, Norm and Tim on Simpleton
G
14-Mar-2005
11:15:00 AM
If anyone knows Noddy or Tim (Lockwood I think) of Nati, or Norm Booth, can you please let them know that the photos I took of Tim leading simpleton as I abseiled passed on the weekend can be found at the following link (img 2093 and img 2094) http://caffienefiend.homedns.org/gerard/view_album.php?set_albumName=album53

IdratherbeclimbingM9
14-Mar-2005
4:06:33 PM
Sorry, I don't know them, but they are great shots G.
I particularly liked the one which had some of your rack in the foreground, which gives a real out-there perspective to it.
(Obviously the angle etc is 'out there', but seeing the gear in the foreground for me seemed to bring home the immediacy of it).
kieranl
14-Mar-2005
8:08:33 PM
Will do

sabu
15-Mar-2005
9:39:28 AM
whatever happened to Tim? i competed against him in 2002 all schools champs, awsome climber!! i supposed the family lines help!! i heard he moved away from Natimuk anyone else know?
G
15-Mar-2005
10:12:58 AM
During the brief chat I had to him on the weekend he said he was home from boarding school in Ballarat for the long weekend.

nmonteith
15-Mar-2005
10:36:49 AM
I climbed with Keith and Tim about 12 months ago. Tim had a go at us for using chalk! - following in the family footsteps i guess.

Robb
15-Mar-2005
11:58:29 AM
i guess 'wood doesnt sweat. it just dries out then burns when a bush fire comes through.
i wonder if noddy learnt from a blackboard at school with chalk (they didnt always have whiteboards with toxic markers)
BA
15-Mar-2005
1:07:31 PM
Noddy must be coming up to his fortieth anniversary of when he commenced climbing, he started climbing a couple of years before me and I've just passed my 37th anniversary. Just think, all the new routes that Nod has put up in the previous four decades were done without using chalk! Probably the only chalkless ascents they have ever had!

sabu
15-Mar-2005
10:05:08 PM
On 15/03/2005 nmonteith wrote:
>I climbed with Keith and Tim about 12 months ago. Tim had a go at us for
>using chalk! - following in the family footsteps i guess.

ahaha that's the way! my friends and i hav recently weened outselfs off chalk outdoors!!!! must be hard for tim being so far away from Araps afta living soo close before, i know i'd hav probly hav suffered severe psychological trauma or dropped out of school!!!
Rocky
24-Mar-2005
9:51:34 PM
hi there, i have just looked at all your messages, yes it is hard being away from the rocks most of the time, but im home for the easter long weekend, so i can get my fix of climbing. we had a great time on simpleton, still trying to get the pixs. i have sort of dissapeared from the competition spotlight, but am trying to get back into it this year, hope to see you there.

sabu
24-Mar-2005
10:08:20 PM
ahah hey man! i was gonna say u dissapeared, i was wondering whether i'd find myself up against you again! shoulda entered states last year, an absolute breeze to get to nationals, you would hav given a few of them a run for ther money, i managed to get my ass kicked!! two of my friends are up for the weekend, u should be able to pick them out easy, they will be drunk and they will be talking about the most obsene things that they can think of.... mayb they won't be that easy to find! look forward to seeing u again!
Rocky
25-Mar-2005
12:18:33 PM
yeh, i didnt really get to the comps last year, to awkward, but this year i should be able too, mostly cause of my sister, who lives in ballarat, i go to boarding school in ballarat. she wants me to win her some stuff, like some boots, or a harness, so if she can drive me there, i'll try to win some stuff for her. wat really annoys me is that the school has climbing wall but no one qualified to take people on it after school, wats even worse, is that if i got accreditation, did a course with the VCC or something, i still cant take people on the wall, like be an instructor cause i'm not an adult!!! ggrrrrrr. and sitting in assembly in the gym on a friday, looking at it, andnot being able to climb it, arrr. and theres no gyms in ballarat, but i do a lot of mountain biking, thats really fun! do you get climbing much, probably at gyms id guess, you live in melbourne right?
Rocky
25-Mar-2005
12:31:27 PM
Hey G, i found your message, but i cant get to the website, to the link where the pixs are, whats happenin there? it would be great if i could have a look at them. its funny, in trying to find the pixs, i was going through the galleries, and went into the taipan wall pixs, thinking they might by accident be i there, but instead found a pic of me on sirroco, that i didnt know was there in the first place, and i dont know who took the pic? curious!? the belayer is Dave Goldstein, a friend of ours from the USA.
RK
25-Mar-2005
12:32:37 PM
Hi "Rocky". You don't know me....but say hello to your dad. He and I used to climb, camp and party in the same crowd in the "olden days". Maybe catch up at the VCC dinner later this year?

Rein
Rocky
25-Mar-2005
12:38:49 PM
Hi Rein, it's Nod here. Great to hear from you. Tim is showing me how to get into the internet, chat rooms, etc, so if I drop out it's because I can't work this machine by myself. We're sitting in our loungeroom at Natimuk, keeping an eye out the window as my 27-year-old horse Radish grazes on creek frontage. Might go to the Wild Man's Cave in the Black Range tomorrow, then climbing in the Vic Range on Monday. Life's tough. Still climbing, still enjoying the rocks, the weather, the mint bushes, the huff and puff of trogging uphill after a 17-year-old son. One day I'll get him to carry all the gear! If there's a VCC dinner later this year, and we can get to it, we might catch up. By the way, Simpleton's getting harder each year. Cheers for now, Nod and Tim.
RK
25-Mar-2005
12:50:58 PM
So how hard is Simpleton how? 30 years ago it was 17. Does it go up a grade each year? Good to know you're still at it! Cheers and hope to see ya later.

sabu
25-Mar-2005
9:05:11 PM
yea im in melbourne and my school has got a wall it's bout 7 meters high but has a small overhang and roof which has been running for a while now, it was started up my Brendan Stemp, your dad might know him. it gets changed fairly regulary and always has that one climb u can never quite do, and now Dave, the guy in charge has started taking us outdoors, i've only just started trad leading. leading on the wall sometimes gets hairy cos it's soo short, a big fall could easily mean decking, only 3 bolts for each face. i go to the gyms mainly in the holidays, i don't hav time during school terms. couldn't u traverse along ur wall? i do that on ours when im bored during lunch!! sometimes the PE teachers unlock the storage room so i can set routes as well!!! hav fun on ur weekend of rock, while i sit at home, grrrr. cyz
Rocky
27-Mar-2005
11:18:02 AM
yeh i kno Brendan Stemp, used to climb with him a bit when he was in horsham, havent seen him for a while though. cant even traverse on the wall!! the teachers are so tight about it, one time i was doing it in PE and my teacher yelled at me and my friend, somethin about liability and insurance. the gyms locked at lunch so cant really do anything anyway. at my old school it was awsome, Norm Booth, do you kno him? he opened the climbing wall every thursday afternoon, so id go there after school, climb with the students then, and then when they all left i'd stay and the grown ups would come and id climb with them aswell. about 3hours of climbing, i was buggered by the end though. one of the walls had an overhang at the top, the other one was all overhanging. of course there were plenty of hard ones to throw myself at and fail miserably on. went to the grampians yesterday with my parents and sister, just went walking up to this wildmans caves where he lived years ago, living off sheep he stole of the farmers. driving through the grampians was fun, im on my L's and i was driving our magna mitsubishi on the dirt back roads through the gramps, nice sweeping corners, corrogated ruts, thick sand which i got the car sliding in!!!, gees it was fun, specially the sand!!! goin climbin tomorow though, in at Gondwannaland, theres some good climbs around the 18-20 mark, some with bolts and chains that we will do laps on, pumps ourselves silly!! i love leading on bolts, you can jus clip and go, and you dont have to worry about dodgy gear when your goin for the dyno! see ya, wouldn wanna be ya, all at home, he he he, jus kidin!!

sabu
27-Mar-2005
12:48:14 PM
ahaha im working to pay off the next few nuts ima buy so it's worth it in the end!! I saw stempy when i was at araps early this year, he's doing well afta i left he and my friend wdid a few climbs. I've heard of Norm, and know others that hav climbed with him but ive never met him, i like to though. pity bout the school thing, teachers dun really care at mine but they all know about the club and whos in it, they wouldn't like it if a random did it but they know i climb so they dun mind. Yea we manage to absolutely pump ourselves out sometimes, other times we're just too lazy! thing is most of the climbs are aimed at low-mid range difficulty so ther isn't much that's really challanging, but we do other things like least amount of holds, i hold the record for the one wall : 4 holds for the 7m wall! we do a demo in assemblies every year, this year i lead the roof hung from one arm (with gasps from the audience) and clipped the bolt on the lip, u hav to go for spectacular instead of difficulty cos a juggy roof climb is so much harder than a face climb with holds the size of ur finger nails!!! yea i've been on my l a while drove up and down buller, that was fun! but when u get back to the suburbs 80 seems slow... i drove my dads triumph spritfire in an industrial park once, it's manual and it was the first time i'd driven one also one of the hardest cars to drive, i was soo damn scared, i grated the gears twice, a very offputting sound that i never want to hear again! i prefer trad i rekon it's more fun, to me a long cruisy exposed trad route is better than a short hard sport one. but i still enjoy the challange of a desprite climb! u know that states is on at hardrock 16th - 17th July? don't shred those fingers of urs u'll need them for school on tuesday!!! hehe cya
Rocky
27-Mar-2005
3:18:40 PM
wow, didnt kno the states were on!!! i better fill in some forms, do you know how i can get into it, their website wasnt helpful? id love to go!!! good to see your buying some gear, i recently been working at the veggie farm next to arapiles, and bust all me money, somethin like $150, buyin a full set of wires, like you said, it was worth it! one of the good things bein a local here, is i get 10% off at the climbing shop!!! i have a spare first on tuesday so i dont care about me fingers!

p.s. please get back to me asap about the state titles, i'd be shattered if i missed them!!!!

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 37
There are 37 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints