ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 14 of 23. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 280 | 281 to 300 | 301 to 320 | 321 to 340 | 341 to 360 | 361 to 380 | 381 to 400 | 401 to 420 | 421 to 440 | 441 to 456
Author
Burnley Climbing Wall
climbingjac
3-Apr-2006
2:40:29 PM
… But that's not all! That was just Saturday!

I received a text message from Shaun Kratzer on Saturday evening advising that the concrete had cured to his satisfaction – it was ok for us to walk on it the following day. So bring on the painting crew!

Sunday, the painting team arrived.

Bec Hopkins gives the 30 degree wall the once-over with a broom to remove dust and concrete spatterings.

The crew prepares. Chris Toan gives the paint a stir. Seth Taylor attaches a paint roller to a painter's pole, Anna is in the background preparing the 45 wall, Helen Cornish is ready to begin. And you can see my back also. May I say I can't believe Seth returned for duty. He was on the "yard yakka" working bee last week – digging footings for the concrete. Thanks Seth!

Painters – action! From left - Seth Taylor, Helen Cornish, Chris Toan, and Anna.

Seth and Helen – synchronised painting!

Chris Toan.

Chris Toan and Helen Cornish working on the 45 degree wall.

Seth Taylor.

Helen Cornish has been working hard – she needs a paint top-up already!

Bec Hopkins concentrates on the left end panel of the 45 degree wall.

Meanwhile, Anna works on the right end panel.

Seth Taylor

climbingjac
3-Apr-2006
2:42:32 PM
Chris Hampton was our high access worker. Chris dealt with the top sections of the walls.

Bec Hopkins negotiates her paintbrush around the fencing

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Chris Hampton is going great guns!

Girl power! Plenty of painting and plenty of friendly chit-chat. Helen Cornish and Bec Hopkins working on the 30 degree wall.

Seth Taylor.

Now that everyone seems to have settled into their roles, I can pull on my overalls and join in the fun. That's me stirring the paint.

Chris Hampton works above, while Chris Toan, Bec Hopkins and Helen Cornish work at ground level.

Jacqui Middleton (me) helping out on the 45 degree wall. Also pictured is Seth Taylor.

From left: Bec Hopkins and Jacqui Middleton, working on the 45 wall.

Helen Cornish works on the right end panel of the 30 degree wall, while Bec Hopkins holds the ladder table steady.

climbingjac
3-Apr-2006
2:43:05 PM
Igoitz Garagarza concentrates on the bottom half of the 30 degree wall.

Anna also working on the 30 degree wall. Igoitz Garagarza pictured in the background.

Chris Toan does his bit, thanking Dulux for the paint donation.

Chris Hampton gets Chris Toan all hooked up and ready for the second coat atop the 30 degree wall.

Chris Toan heading across the 30 wall, apply the second coat.

Igoitz Garagarza and Chris Toan dealing with the second coat on the upper section of the 45 wall.

Igoitz Garagarza repositions ready to paint the next section.

Chris Toan.

Igoitz Garagarza.

Looking good!!! The view of the 45 and 30 degree walls respectively, at the end of the weekend's work

climbingjac
3-Apr-2006
3:00:23 PM
Dear climbers,

This week….. on the Burnley Project.

The next thing that you will see happen at the walls is that the kickboards will be installed, and subsequently painted.

Thus far, the walls are looking great! Passers-by are really pleased with what's going on. We also had a visit from Chris Shepherd and his mate Stef on Sunday. They too very pleased with our progress. The idea of having bouldering under the freeway at Burnley was originally Chris' brainchild. He started the whole process off with the original Burnley walls.

We're getting there, Melbourne!

Best wishes,

Jacqui Middleton
Burnley Project
VCC working with Parks Victoria
climbingjac
4-Apr-2006
10:56:21 AM
Special thanks to Neil Monteith, who has donated a kit of holds to create a boulder problem. Also special thanks to Michael O'Reilly, who has donated funds to have a boulder problem created on his behalf.

Thanks guys!

Jacqui Middleton
Burnley Project

Richard
5-Apr-2006
1:08:13 PM
what does a route cost, Jacqui ? I suspect the figure is somewhere in a previous post ..but this topic is too popular for me to find it !!
climbingjac
5-Apr-2006
1:16:16 PM
Hi there Richard,

The cost of a route is dependent upon its length, size of holds, and colour of holds. It normally costs at least $100 to put up a boulder problem featuring say, 12 holds.

Cheers,
Jacqui

Robb
5-Apr-2006
1:31:21 PM
Looks really good. is there any lighting in the vicinity for evening sessions?
Might check it out one day if I'm in melbourne for work one day. Excuse my ignorance but where is the burnley brige exactly or near.
R
climbingjac
5-Apr-2006
1:35:34 PM
From the river end of Mary St Richmond, go through the pedestrian subway and then turn left. Walk along the bicycle track for 100m or so and you're there.

Lighting services the bike track. At this stage there is no lighting to service evening sessions.
climbingjac
10-Apr-2006
9:21:39 AM
Dear all,

Please note that over the weekend, our hard working Project carpenter; Steve Ford, has installed and tee-nutted the kickboards.

I'll get them painted later on in the week.

Jac

brat
10-Apr-2006
9:43:48 AM
Got back into Melbourne and my Girlfriend and I rode our bikes down to check the walls out (from Kew, great ride alongside the Yarra BTW). The walls look great, many thanks to those who've organised and built it.

Bit tight financially ATM but can't wait to contribute as it's in my backyard!
climbingjac
10-Apr-2006
10:12:58 AM
Hi Chris,

Thankyou for your feedback!

jac
climbingjac
13-Apr-2006
8:57:01 AM
A big thankyou to Tristan and Stewart Peace, who have made a generous donation towards the project. Their donation will assist us with the purchase of the exoxy glue (which will be used to glue holds onto the vertical wall).
climbingjac
13-Apr-2006
9:51:21 AM
Dear climbers,

Please note that the kickboards have now been painted. As such, the walls are now completely painted – and they look fantastic!

This weekend, we aim to install the bulk of the rubber shockpads beneath the walls.

Best wishes,

Jacqui Middleton
Burnley Project
climbingjac
18-Apr-2006
8:21:05 AM
Dear climbers,

A dedicated team of individuals gave up their Easter weekends to help keep progress moving at the Burnley Bouldering Walls. As a result of this effort, we have now completed the installation of the rubber shockpads beneath the 45 degree and vertical walls.

Once again, thankyou to the people that volunteered their time towards this effort. Please find below a couple of piccies that give you an idea of how things are looking!

Shockpads ready and waiting for installation

Stuart Williams hard at work pouring the epoxy (glue).

Stuart Williams pouring epoxy. Rosemary Walton in the background preparing a trowel to spread the glue.

A closeup of the matting.

The view of the vertical wall with matting beneath it.

…And the spectacular 45 degree wall is looking very stylish with its new matting!

Subject to the timely arrival of supplies, we aim to lay shockpads beneath the 30 degree wall this Saturday.

Best wishes,

Jacqui Middleton
Burnley Project
climbingjac
18-Apr-2006
8:35:56 AM
Dear climbers,

I have started ordering bolts for the climbing holds. We are purchasing zinc-plated bolts due to the fact our little woodie is outside. We want to minimise rusting.

If you are wondering how we work out how many of each bolt size to purchase, here is the story. It is quite a process!

Bolts normally have a "shank" (the non-threaded part) and a threaded section. No matter what happens, once the bolt goes through the climbing hold and the first little bit of wood, it meets with the teenut. And once it meets with the teenut, the shank must be over and the thread must have begun.

So – each hold must be measured to determine its shank tolerance, and minimum bolt length requirements. How is this done? A bolt is measured. Then the bolt is put through the hold, and the bolt length protruding from the rear if the hold is measured. The second measurement is subtracted from the first. We add that figure to the depth of wood we know we can safely penetrate without meeting a teenut. This figure is what I refer to as the shank tolerance. We add a bit more to that amount to ensure the bolt makes it through the teenut, and this is the minimum bolt length we require. (Note that due to the fact each manufacturer makes bolts with different shank lengths, we simply could not even consider some bolts, as their shanks were too long).

Holds are grouped into categories of how much bolt length the hold itself absorbs.

After a couple of complex mathematic conversions (thank goodness I have a degree in applied mathematics!), it is determined what size bolt each hold should use. Bolts are marked to make life easier for the routesetters.

The holds are then wrapped in newspaper to prevent chipping during transportation. That is the process!

As a result of this process, my house is currently a landmine of climbing holds. They're everywhere!!!

Best wishes,

Jacqui Middleton
Burnley Project
climbingjac
18-Apr-2006
11:57:47 AM
Dear climbers,

Just a quick note to let you know that we will be putting a solid border in around the edge of the rubber matting to protect it.

Cheers,

Jacqui Middleton
climbingjac
21-Apr-2006
8:59:46 AM
Hi all,

I need to wash a heap of holds for Burnley. Started handwashing them - lost interest. There are too many! Does anyone have a dishwasher at home they would be prepared to let me use?

Jacqui
Stuey
21-Apr-2006
10:29:50 AM
If you don't have any joy finiding a dishwasher, just rent or borrow a pressure washer. Chuck the holds in bread crate or milk crate and blast them to death - Works just as well.
climbingjac
21-Apr-2006
12:12:07 PM
Rent = $$$

Page 14 of 23. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 140 | 141 to 160 | 161 to 180 | 181 to 200 | 201 to 220 | 221 to 240 | 241 to 260 | 261 to 280 | 281 to 300 | 301 to 320 | 321 to 340 | 341 to 360 | 361 to 380 | 381 to 400 | 401 to 420 | 421 to 440 | 441 to 456
There are 456 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints