General Climbing Discussion

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 47
Author
Selling out

Breezy
30-Dec-2004
1:20:35 PM
Fatboy;
I too am in a very similar situation to yourself.
5 years ago i climbed minimum of 3 times per week, all on rock.
5 years ago i could climb 27
5 years ago i was more interested in a "route" than a "root".
5 years ago i had immense freedom, no bills and no worries
5 years ago there was me, myself and i.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These days i climb once a week on rock if the gods are smiling
These days i climb 25ish (on a good good day)
These days i think more about roots than routes
These days i have no freedom, too many bills and 1001 worries
These days i have me, my partner and my daughter

And i wouldnt change the above for a second,
I had huge amounts of fun climbing all the time
Today i have huge amounts of fun with my family,
These days in a way i enjoy my climbing more and
see my time on rock as special, not just another day's climbing.

Cheer up Fatboy,
life rocks and if it doesnt, climb one :)

jens
5-Jan-2005
9:38:55 AM
Hey, there were some harsh words in this post. I however, got a giggle reading Fatboy spill his guts! The little fella probably just had to vent after doing the xmas family thing with the in-laws.

I don’t have wife and kids, but I had to draw the line with my girlfriend. NO in-law ceremonies for me during the silly season. Still paying for it though, rock or root was a discission that was surprisingly easy to decide. Just live in the moment, tomorrow never comes! What felt right back then, might not be right now. If you try to live like you did in the past, you would wish you were back in the present.

Hey Fatboy, just don’t loose your identity completely. Share yourself with others and yourself!

Great read, Thanks!

Jens

adski
5-Jan-2005
1:31:00 PM
On 5/01/2005 jens wrote:
Still paying for it though, rock or root was a discission that was surprisingly easy to decide.

Some poor souls will still be suffering from their decisions, the sex strike is a tool of last resort, yet effective...
Rush
6-Jan-2005
7:27:54 AM
Fatboy, that post seriously almost made me cry. But I think memories get sweeter the further away they get.

jens
6-Jan-2005
8:57:36 AM
Memories get fuzzy over time, but my memories in my younger years were fuzzy due to alcohol consumption, so it's a blurr to me what I got up to.

I think I had a good time?!?
Nottobetaken
6-Jan-2005
11:02:22 AM
This topic really pisses me off. The amount of guys who claim to be climbers yet as soon as they get hitched decide that it's the end of the world as they know it and stop climbing - just because they're married or have kids. If you truly love climbing - you wouldn't give it up. If the woman you're with demands it - then you're in the wrong relationship. I have friends that have gone down that path - but that is their decision. Obviously climbing wasn't a high priority to them at the end of the day.

I'm married, I have a 2 year old, a full time job, and a mortgage. I'm also climbing harder than when I was working 3 days a week - and climbing the other 4 as a single person. There are people out there that do it - it all comes down to how much you really want it.
Goodvibes
6-Jan-2005
12:14:27 PM
Exactly

hangdoggy
6-Jan-2005
2:29:20 PM
its not really a conscious thing...its ..insidious...it slowly happens over time.
it slowly disappears...miss day here a day there...and you get busy around the home and before you know it your climbing life is in tatters...
i always knew what climbing meant to me....and now i'm fighting tooth and nail to get it back.....its something thats easy enough to lose but damn hard to get back..
sometimes losing these things is not a conscious act.
Trick is to realise when its happening and not lose it in the first place

rodw
6-Jan-2005
2:35:13 PM
Maybe with the wife you have a choice, or she does...but what about any kids that come after the fact? You work all week and dont see them much except, maybe a few hours here and there after work, then its a bit hard on them to not see them for 1 or both of the days on the weekend?

Sorry Dr G, I dont think you should have a go at people because they put there kids first???

shmalec
6-Jan-2005
5:09:45 PM
Thanks Fatboy. Some of us need this sort of prod every now and then. Much appreciated. Entertaining read too.

Hatman
6-Jan-2005
5:20:01 PM
Hey
I climber i recently met who shall be known as bundy just had his second kid and seems to be climbing alot and getting better to. Maybe he can blame it on the woody In the garage? You see there is always a way around the "road blocks to climbing."

I just bought a house and have been renovating with my gal. Now we have moved in together she thinks that it's best if I don't climb, ride moterbike, ect! I was very shocked as although im a shite climber I love it and would be hard pressed to give up. So I take her climbing, she sees that its not so bad and the pleasure i get! problems solved, (helping with the garden does the trick to!) (still working on the motorbike!)

Remember if you were climbing, then something or some one made you slowdown ask your self if you are happier? Ask your partner if you seem happier. If the answer is No! then of course you will be happier if you climb again and your partner will stop getting anoyed at your crappy moods! Every one will benifit!!!

rodw
6-Jan-2005
8:18:44 PM
I heard a rumour someone saw bundy bouldering around the delivery room, in between contractions..now thats dedication.

Give up the moterbike hatman...stick to one "vice", that way you could say "what do you mean you dont want me to go climbing, could be worse, i could be moterbike riding".

Im working on getting my duaghter into climbing on the woodie then progressing into rock climbing...then its not rock climbing but spending quality time with the family....win/win.
bundywife
6-Jan-2005
8:52:18 PM
Rod, I think the only bouldering that bundy did in the delivery room was when he was trying to scale the walls to get out of there and away from my screaming :-)

As for our daughter, she certainly has had a go at the woodie - bit frustrating when we get home from the shops and I have to pry her off the woodie to get her into the house.

As for the original post, all I will say is that it's a matter of priorities and balancing everything in a *fair* way - that is, fair to you and fair to your family. If you and your family are happy with your "balance", then all's good.

hatman
7-Jan-2005
7:38:24 AM
Good to see a youngn on the woody! I swear i lost my tree climbing ability when i got to college! Some kids are just so naturally good at climbing!

As for the Motorbike the way my poor old ute is going I might need a bike to get to some climbing spots soon! But yeah I could say look im only riding a motorbike I could be soloing booromba!

rodw
7-Jan-2005
9:41:02 AM
> But yeah I could say look im only riding
>a motorbike I could be soloing booromba!

But she might call your bluff though and drive you out there to see it:)

Hatman
7-Jan-2005
12:17:25 PM
Ahh well time for some commitment on all fronts.

hangdoggy
8-Jan-2005
12:13:05 AM
nice call Rod....its hard with the kids....and spending quality time with the kids is essential.
taken my boy out to a gym a couple of times...and things are looking good for when he's older..
now my 2year old girl..thats another story....the other day she soloed up the bath onto the 4cm rim/ledge around the bath one arm hang off the soap dish at full extension to put the plug in the dish.....i told her off of course, but when i recounted the event to my wife ..she said did i have to have such a proud glint in my eye....
well it was pretty impressive for a 2year old.....

and while we are on the subject of kids and climbing....does anyone have any suggestions of what is a good age to start them on rock as opposed to the gym??

climbau
8-Jan-2005
10:09:52 AM
A mate and I used to take his 2 and 5 year olds out bouldering. You just have to pick places that are easily accessible and with no cliffs for them to fall off. Plus don't be afraid of them getting a little dirty, let them explore. Plus you'll probably find that they want to copy mummy and/or daddy anyway.
Another good tactic used on another mates child was to go "bushwalking" and do some bouldering along the way (no climbing shoes required, that's the next step), eventually it becomes learned that bushwalking involves climbing cool rocks and things just progress from there. Just make it fun from the start.
Kids love to climb so naturally your biggest issue will be controlling how high they solo!

IdratherbeclimbingM9
1-Jan-2012
11:06:34 PM
On 8/01/2005 climbau wrote:
>A mate and I used to take his 2 and 5 year olds out bouldering. You just
>have to pick places that are easily accessible and with no cliffs for them
>to fall off. Plus don't be afraid of them getting a little dirty, let them
>explore. Plus you'll probably find that they want to copy mummy and/or
>daddy anyway.
>Another good tactic used on another mates child was to go "bushwalking"
>and do some bouldering along the way (no climbing shoes required, that's
>the next step), eventually it becomes learned that bushwalking involves
>climbing cool rocks and things just progress from there. Just make it fun
>from the start.
>Kids love to climb so naturally your biggest issue will be controlling
>how high they solo!

... or finding them again once they go feral climbing fulltime?

wallwombat
2-Jan-2012
12:55:35 AM
The thread is 7 years old M9.

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 47
There are 47 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints