Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
I have a request ...
(removed)
16-Jun-2003
11:35:10 AM
Simon Parsons in his interview said ...

"Climbing at Araps back then was an odd scene. Most climbers were on the dole, dirty and smoked pot. I was a University student who dropped in from Tasmania. I always felt out of place, but did a few first ascents with Kim. Kim was the consummate professional and always a notch above most of us. The scene was full of fascinating individuals. I am sure someone will one day write a book about the people and what happened to them."

Surely Mike Law is the man for the job. I love his turn of phrase and was right there to boot !! Maybe if we all lobby him he'll give in. It would be a shame if this rich part of Australian climbing history were lost. So many interesting characters to write about, some tragic, some not. It would make fascinating reading and I'm sure would be a funny read. Or maybe he already has something alog these lines in the pipeworks ???

hardcore
16-Jun-2003
12:30:16 PM
I assume Simon was referring to Camp Hog who were a group of New Zealand anachist climbers. I don't think, even with Claw's turn of phrase you'd really want to write too much about what they got up to.

As far as the other characters are concerned, their activities have been quite well documented in the various Arapiles and Grampian guides. The problem with writing biographies / anthologies is, as illustrated by the Simon Parsons interview, that all of the characters of the period were doing lots of different things in lots of different places - meaning only the individual could write his or her own story. I've written a number of articles about this period and have found that to make it readable, it needs to have a specific theme - you could manage a couple of humerous paragraphs on climbing under the influence of Magic Mushrooms, but that'd be about it.
(removed)
17-Jun-2003
5:20:01 PM
I still reckon it could be made into a good read. I'd like to read it for one ...
ghost
1-Jun-2007
6:57:52 PM
On 16/06/2003 FatBoy wrote:
>Simon Parsons in his interview said ...
>
>"Climbing at Araps back then was an odd scene. Most climbers were on the
>dole, dirty and smoked pot. I was a University student who dropped in from
>Tasmania. I always felt out of place, but did a few first ascents with
>Kim. Kim was the consummate professional and always a notch above most
>of us. The scene was full of fascinating individuals. I am sure someone
>will one day write a book about the people and what happened to them."
>
>Surely Mike Law is the man for the job. I love his turn of phrase and
>was right there to boot !! Maybe if we all lobby him he'll give in. It
>would be a shame if this rich part of Australian climbing history were
>lost. So many interesting characters to write about, some tragic, some
>not. It would make fascinating reading and I'm sure would be a funny read.
> Or maybe he already has something alog these lines in the pipeworks ???

CCCCCAAAARRRRNNNN MMMMIIIIIIKKKKKLLLLLLL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TLockwood
1-Jun-2007
7:26:25 PM
On 16/06/2003 FatBoy wrote:
>Simon Parsons in his interview said ...
> I am sure someone
>will one day write a book about the people and what happened to them."
> Or maybe he already has something along these lines in the pipeworks ???

funny you should say that.
Because as of next week, Keith Lockwood will be submitting the final documents to his publisher for his full colour coffee table book chronicling the history of Arapiles from the early settlers to the flora and fauna, indigenous heritage and illustrious climbing culture. The release date is set for the Nati Frinj festival, November 3rd i think. contributions are coming from many climbers, Greg Child, Henry Barber, Malcolm Matheson, Steve Monks, Louise Shephard, just to name a few. something around 270 photos.
enjoy!
ghost
1-Jun-2007
7:38:02 PM
SssssmmmmoooooKKKKKIIINNNNNNNN !!!!!!!!

There are 6 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints