Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
The ‘Where are they now?’ thread.

Duang Daunk
25-Sep-2019
1:09:36 PM
It must be my time for disappointment, as although I login to Chocky from time to time I haven’t seen many of the old Chocky bro’s / sis’s doing so...

A few that come to mind off the top of my head ...

simey - maybe footy has snaffled him completely?
Wendy - maybe too busy blogging these days?
WW&S - maybe didn’t survive his latest adventure?
Eduardo - who knows what motivates him these days?
Kuu - was getting on in years, still alive?
BA - defacto VCC historian due his memory plus Argus background - unusually quiet given the current Vic climbing controversies.
Wallwombat - was always good for a different insight.
Mousey - now there’s a dude that went places, but did a wingsuit finally claim him?
That expatriate South Australian dude that went to Singapore to pretend to continue climbing... is he still shonking the locals?
What about that other bro that went to Solomon Islands, returned and started climbing up the far north coast of NSW - did the Nimbin factor veg him out too much?

Lotsa others, too numerous to mention -

Shed light appreciated from any that remain...

PS, was good to see posts recently-ish from nmonteith, onsight, M9, Imalizardworshipfan, Daliah, ODH and maybe a couple of others that escape me at the moment.

rodw
25-Sep-2019
1:31:03 PM
WW&S still alive, though did get run over while out bike riding and in recovery mode, he'll be sweet though...he to tough to die.

Wallwombat - still around just not here I guess

Mousey - again still around, doing more yoga and travelling to exotic places.

Thats my knowledge done.
dalai
25-Sep-2019
1:35:39 PM
On 25-Sep-2019 Duang Daunk wrote:
>It must be my time for disappointment, as although I login to Chocky from
>time to time I haven’t seen many of the old Chocky bro’s / sis’s doing
>so...
>
>A few that come to mind off the top of my head ...
>
>simey - maybe footy has snaffled him completely?

Trail running I think more these days.

>Wendy - maybe too busy blogging these days?

Saw active on FB. Constantly injured from what I can see.

>WW&S - maybe didn’t survive his latest adventure?

Around. Bit beat up from an accident but otherwise okay.

>Mousey - now there’s a dude that went places, but did a wingsuit finally
>claim him?

Still around, just not climbing and from what I can tell not base jumping either. Just enjoying life!

>That expatriate South Australian dude that went to Singapore to pretend
>to continue climbing... is he still shonking the locals?

Stugang has been a little quiet. Perhaps his big wall bolting expedition went awry?

>Lotsa others, too numerous to mention -
>
>Shed light appreciated from any that remain...
>
>PS, was good to see posts recently-ish from nmonteith, onsight, M9, Imalizardworshipfan,
>Daliah, ODH and maybe a couple of others that escape me at the moment.

Pretty quiet here nowadays - more disabling new SPAMbots than posts these days. All the kool kidz are on social media these days. Forums are more for us oldies... ;-)
Stugang
25-Sep-2019
9:09:13 PM
Actually the trip to tioman was awesome. We did the second route up a massive granite cliff « Mumbar » Our route was just under 200m vertical gain but prolly more like 220m of actual climbing. The cliff would comfortably be over 300m at the highest point.

Route was all trad and grade 20ish but we bolted rap anchors. In the scheme of things the climbing was the easy part - schlepping all the food, gear and water up to the base uphill through virgin tropical rainforest was epic. I was still digging 1cm long splinters out of my legs months after the trip. Camping at the base in hammocks under tarps for four days with barely any food and water was truly an experience never to be forgotten and bought out the best in our small team and through shared misery reckon I’ve made friends for life with all of them......apart from one guy that pissed everyone off who had the attitude that we were all there to support him in achieving his goals and if that meant that some team members didn’t get to climb then «that was their problem for not being comfortable leading runout trad». Despite the fact that they had busted their arse in jungle and experienced every moment of pain in helping with logistics in setting up a jungle camp and getting all our various bits of kit up through the through the jungle to the base of the climb.

I will never forget the fury that I was met with in various German profanities when I refused to do another climb with him until we (as the most experienced climbers) had got the whole team up the original climb.

Funny thing is that after it was over and we’d all got back to basecamp on the beach i was pretty chilled with our « differences » up on the wall as it was pretty testing up there and it’s understandable that people lose their shit in those circumstances - we were all on the edge through dehydration and lack of food.

So all water under the bridge until a week or so later when safely back in Singapore and I asked for a couple of slings back that I loaned him to hold up his hammock. Then he lost his shit again.

Despite the «moments» it was a great trip with a mostly awesome bunch of folk. If any of you are in Singapore or Malaysia you should seriously think about putting a climbing trip to Tioman on your schedule - it is like nothing you would have experienced before. You don’t need to go as epic as our trip - the dragons horns have a well established path to the base and at least a dozen established routes between grades 16 and 26 (also some aid routes). Hit me up if you are keen and I will either go with you or give you all the beta you need for a successful trip.

Stay safe out there xx stu.

Eduardo Slabofvic
26-Sep-2019
7:38:03 AM
On 25-Sep-2019 Stugang wrote:
>
>various German profanities
>
>

Your lousy slings are in the mail, Hund Hangen!

jkane
26-Sep-2019
10:47:17 AM
On 25-Sep-2019 Stugang wrote:
>Actually the trip to tioman was awesome.

Kudos! And thanks for the entertaining read.
BA
28-Sep-2019
10:09:02 AM
>so...
>

>BA - defacto VCC historian due his memory plus Argus background - unusually
>quiet given the current Vic climbing controversies.

He's still here ... holding his head between his hands and sobbing quietly as he watches the Victorian climbing community split itself asunder ...

Thinking to himself that climbers brought it on themselves, and now some of them refuse to acknowledge that they themselves are responsible, at least in part, for the current state of affairs ... sob ... sob
Widewetandslippery
28-Sep-2019
11:32:18 AM
Overcoming annual hit and run. Thanks for asking DD. This year 70yr old woman lane drifting from behind. Weight has been taken off my mind.
Dr Nick
29-Sep-2019
6:48:05 PM
My local Aldi is clearing the camera and rear light combo for $40. Good chance you'll at least get a rego to take to the cops should there be a repeat incident, and can even be useful on the near misses.
Widewetandslippery
29-Sep-2019
8:43:45 PM
Thanks. It was caught on CCTV. Watched it 3 times now. As well as some stills taken. Cop thought I was dead, helmet crushed in my skull, rim in my leg, laying in a pool of blood. Passport photo stuff. Court gave the the driver a slap on the wrist. I'll be right, just need to get a new bike out of her.

Miguel75
30-Sep-2019
9:46:45 AM
On 29-Sep-2019 Widewetandslippery wrote:
>Thanks. It was caught on CCTV. Watched it 3 times now. As well as some
>stills taken. Cop thought I was dead, helmet crushed in my skull, rim in
>my leg, laying in a pool of blood. Passport photo stuff. Court gave the
>the driver a slap on the wrist. I'll be right, just need to get a new bike
>out of her.

Glad to hear you’re ok. Hope you heal up well, and get a new bike too;)

wallwombat
30-Sep-2019
11:13:51 AM
I'm still around.

Currently, I have a stuffed knee and wrist and haven't roped up since a Bungonia trip last year, with WW&S, ODH and a cast of many.

Been busy with the local dramatic society and catching (and releasing ) big Murray Cod and Golden Perch.

Hoping to get back on the rock when my knee gets better.

gordoste
30-Sep-2019
1:49:44 PM
This cycling stuff is bloody dangerous
Dr Nick
2-Oct-2019
12:21:09 PM
That's shit Dude. Hope you heal well and the new bike is awesome.
White Trash
8-Oct-2019
10:43:10 AM
Good trip report Stugang.
Shame this site no longer picture friendly as it’d be great to see any photos of it.

Vwills
9-Oct-2019
12:24:37 AM
I thought I posted this in a Thread about Treseder, but seems relevant to hereto. I became curious as to what had happened to the man. Seems like he is doing ok:

He turned apparently into a major fundraiser for Westmead Hospital and then the Royal BrisbaneWomens Hospital, and got a seat on the Federally run and prime minister sponsored community business partnership and gives” inspirational talks”.

https://www.rbwhfoundation.com.au/2018/12/05/end-of-an-era/

https://www.communitybusinesspartnership.gov.au/

Duang Daunk
23-Oct-2019
9:00:30 AM
On 9-Oct-2019 Vwills wrote:
>I thought I posted this in a Thread about Treseder, but seems relevant
>to hereto. I became curious as to what had happened to the man. Seems like
>he is doing ok:
>
> He turned apparently into a major fundraiser for Westmead Hospital and
>then the Royal BrisbaneWomens Hospital, and got a seat on the Federally
>run and prime minister sponsored community business partnership and gives”
>inspirational talks”.
>
>
>https://www.rbwhfoundation.com.au/2018/12/05/end-of-an-era/
>
>https://www.communitybusinesspartnership.gov.au/

Now that's one curious dude.
Giving ”inspirational talks” eh? That reminds me about the other dude on this site that bro ODH ripped into for being dragged up Neverest and then trying to earn a living giving inspirational talks. I'd forgotten about him , which is just as well , as I don't really need to know where he is now.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
18-Feb-2020
11:40:53 AM
>so...
>
>A few that come to mind off the top of my head ...
(Snip)
> Kuu - was getting on in years, still alive?
(Snip)

Does anyone have contact details for Kuu (Kevin Westren), that they could PM me?
I’ve tried emailing him with the one I have, but it’s bouncing back...

There are 18 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints