HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Should I cancel my trip to the Grampians?
elad
26-Jun-2019
1:50:01 AM
Hi everyone, and apologies in advance if this isn't the right place to ask my question.

I live very far away, and have dreamed for many years to visit the Grampians for rock climbing. I am very sorry to hear about the recent bans you are facing.

I am following the bans status on news but unfortunately my knowledge regarding specific climbing areas is very limited. I'm trying to decide whether to cancel my trip or not.

So my questions are very simple, Is there a list of crags where climbing is still allowed? Would you still recommend to travel half the globe to climb in the Grampians?

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Elad

ajfclark
26-Jun-2019
7:43:57 AM
There's a list of crags that are banned here: http://savegrampiansclimbing.org/the-ban/closed-areas/

What grades are you climbing? Sport or trad or bouldering? Were there specific routes you were interested in climbing?
elad
27-Jun-2019
1:49:47 AM
Hi, thanks for the link.
I climb in up to 27-28 I guess. My Wife probably more in the 20-23 range. Currently sport climbing only, but I was hoping to try some guided Trad.

I'm trying to assemble a list of sectors from the Simon Carter guide but sometimes matching the names I find online to the names that appear in the guide is quite hard. Specifcally I can't understand if all of the Victoria range crags are now forbidden or just Gallery & Millenium. It is harder to find what is actually OK to climb.

Kp
27-Jun-2019
6:07:50 AM
Taipan, windjammer, my Stapleton amp, vd land, cut lunch, koalquatsy, tribute, bundaleer, watchtower, gilhams, curosity, ruined castle are the only crags open.

Everything else closed.
kieranl
27-Jun-2019
7:42:25 AM
Guided trad is a good way to get into it. There's still some good trad open in Grampians but probably best to start at Arapiles for this and work towards getting a couple of the Mt Rosea classics.

Kp's list has all of the sport crags that are open.
dan_b
27-Jun-2019
10:47:07 AM
It depends. I wouldn’t travel half way around the world for JUST the Grampians as it is, climbing the grades you both climb there are just too many classics off limits at the moment.

If I was planning an Australian climbing trip taking in Arapiles, Blue Mountains and say Tasmania (bearing in mind these are a couple of thousand km/ apart) I would. I guess it really depends on how much time you have and ability to move around the country.
gfdonc
27-Jun-2019
12:35:24 PM
On 27-Jun-2019 Kp wrote:
>Taipan, windjammer, my Stapleton amp, vd land, cut lunch, koalquatsy, tribute,
>bundaleer, watchtower, gilhams, curosity, ruined castle are the only crags
>open.
>
>Everything else closed.
Just to clarify, I assume KP is referring to crags listed in the "grampians sport climbs" guide or similar.
Plenty of other crags are open (Rosea, Wurzelgummage, dozens of others) but not much with gr 25+ sport climbs.

JamesMc
27-Jun-2019
4:15:00 PM
If you are focused on hard sport climbing there are better places to spend your precious vacation time. If you are fixated on Australia then go to the Blue Mountains.

Hopefully the current situation will be forgotten about in a few years so come to the Grampians then.
Kp
28-Jun-2019
6:11:53 PM
I'd say cancel. You really need trad gear to make a trip worthwhile. It will be too frustrating at the moment.
elad
29-Jun-2019
8:18:22 PM
Thank you all for all the info. Right now we decided not to cancel, but shorten the amount of time we are planning to stay.

BTW, Do you happen to know if the Eureka Wall is closed? The info is not really super clear
kieranl
30-Jun-2019
7:51:49 AM
Eureka is in an SPA, so currently closed.

Duang Daunk
4-Jul-2019
12:28:43 PM
elad wrote:
>Should I cancel my trip to the Grampians?

Why would you do that and miss your opportunity to climb in the greatest country on earth bro?

You’re coming halfway round the world to get here and we live in a bloody big place with world-class climbing in many locations... though I must admit that Kangaroo Point isn’t on that list.

There are 12 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints