Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Hanging Rock

robbie
7-Oct-2018
7:46:44 PM
Who knows of Hanging Rock?
Access: Climbing is banned. However, horse racing, rock concerts etc are OK.
Routes:112.
History:Goes way back 40 years, l according to well seasoned climbing mate.

My reason for this post.
* To see what interest it may attract
* With the aid of a pole, get an idea of numbers, in order to create and go forward with a proposal to the key stake holders.
This post is open for any climbing related ideas.
gfdonc
7-Oct-2018
9:54:55 PM
I learned to climb there back in the 70s.

I understand the VCC met with the current owners about 3 years ago (at a guess) to discuss the possibility of it being reopened. The participants will have to join the discussion but I recall some talk of having paid access.

Given the increasing popularity of climbing and a shortage of sports venues near Melbourne I could imagine this being turned into a popular venue. There were lots of bolts there in the 70s and 80s (and some easy routes that were just plain runout).

Also the moss has taken over due to a lack of traffic so a lot of work would be required to get it back in shape.

FYI I understand the last sanctioned climbing was about 15+ years ago when a few mates of Harley Burke managed to gain permission to climb one of his routes in-memorium after his death.

dalai
7-Oct-2018
11:16:45 PM
On 7-Oct-2018 robbie wrote:
>Who knows of Hanging Rock?

Popular for picnics I believe...

JamesMc
8-Oct-2018
1:12:48 AM
Managed by a committee that's scared of legal liability

Went there to climb once decades ago. Uncoiled the rope, looked around and noticed we had an audience of about 50, coiled the rope and went for a walk.

lacto
8-Oct-2018
3:43:12 PM
I imagine the main problem for "management" is not climbers even though many route are very poorly protected but the non climbers who scale the pinnacles up the top and then can't get down the more climbers there the more people want ti impress their mates especially when a bit "merry"
Liam_aar
9-Oct-2018
8:53:43 PM
I live about 15 minutes from Hanging Rock and have asked around a bit before. I belive that there are a few issues, one being the traditional owners of the land who are involved in Hanging Rock not being happy with climbing there. The other major one that I know of is that a lot of the climbing is right on the tourist path which just gets messy.

There are 6 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints