Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Recommend Gramps day walks for me and the missus
johnpitcairn
18-Mar-2018
9:59:23 AM
We're camping (with car) at Araps the week either side of Goatfest. Missus's first Araps trip from NZ. Missus is not comfortable with exposure or unexpected rope-ups, let's not encourage conniptions. Also let's not encourage sandbags or hellish thorny bush-bashes please. Please please be nice to me, I want to survive this emotionally and maritally ;-)
gfdonc
18-Mar-2018
11:06:18 AM
1. The Pinnacle, either as a circuit all the way from Halls Gap (via Mackey's Peak then return via Splitter's Falls), or as a shorter loop from the Wonderland car park (5 minute drive).
Good track the whole way. The loop from the valley climbs steeply for the first 30 minutes (800+ steps!) then eases.

2. You can also approach the Pinnacle from Sundial car park (shorter), with a great view of The Fallen Giant. About 22 mins to The Pinnacle then return the same way. 10 minute drive from town.

3. Sundial car park to The Sundial and return.

4. Mt Rosea via the Rosea track. 10 minute drive from Halls Gap. Longer, well made track to the summit and return. Alternatively approach via the climber's access track (a bit overgrown and with a few fallen trees to clamber over) and return via the main hiking trail. The Australian Route Register shows how to find the climber's access.

5. Bundaleer. Short walk into the cliff but the caves are interesting.

The tourist office in town should be able to provide enough information.
regards

Grinder
19-Mar-2018
10:42:17 AM
From Zumsteins along the MacKenzie River past Fish Falls to MacKenzie Falls and return.
Mt Stapylton from Flat Rock is a great walk. (The very last few meters onto the summit may well cause conniptions, but you don't need to stand on the summit to enjoy the walk)
Hollow Mountain (has a little exposure, but it is probably the next most popular walk after the pinnacle, so comfortable enough for most people)
Briggs Bluff
Mt Difficult (front side is closed, but there is a good trail up the back, from Lake Wartook)
Asses Ears (Front side is short and steep. Back side is long and gentle)
Chimney Pots
johnpitcairn
20-Mar-2018
5:38:42 AM
Thanks, I'll investigate all those further. Rosea might be cool as a scoping expedition for a climbing revisit sometime. Hopefully I'll have some energy when we get there, flat out and knackered from work right now. Missus will be fitter than me but rather less keen on exposure.
widewetandslippery
20-Mar-2018
7:01:16 AM
Slab in esky, go to toolondo. Horsham pub crawl
(removed)
20-Mar-2018
7:31:36 AM

Glenn Tempest's Daywalks around Victoria is fantastic. There are 4 from the Gramps in it:

• Rosea
  • The Fortress
  • Stapylton
  • ... forget the other one ...

hero
20-Mar-2018
9:28:51 AM
How does you partner feel about you calling her the Missus on online forums?

MisterGribble
20-Mar-2018
9:44:35 AM
South Gramps, Mt Abrupt, 3 hours up and down. Like standing on the edge of the world
And treat Mrs P to the degustation menu at the Royal Mail in Dunkeld afterwards

(Marriage guidance is just another thing we Gribbles excell at, it's true)

Grinder
21-Mar-2018
5:27:29 AM
On 20-Mar-2018 johnpitcairn wrote:
>Rosea might be cool as a scoping expedition for a climbing revisit sometime.

You don't get to see much of the cliff from the Rosea walking track - take the climbers track turn-off on the way up, check out the cliff and continue up the Giant's Staircase to re-meet the walking track at the top of the cliff (still a ways to the summit from there). This is actually the old way up Mt Rosea, so it is still a well-made trail.

Every walk in the Gramps is a scoping expedition if you're a climber.
johnpitcairn
21-Mar-2018
9:29:47 AM
I think the prospect of taking the walk that Saint John Clarke died on wins. It shall be walked. And we shall very likely be degusted. And Gribble Guidance shall be thanked.
johnpitcairn
21-Mar-2018
9:30:31 AM
>> How does you partner feel about you calling her the Missus on online forums?

Shhh.
kieranl
21-Mar-2018
10:46:45 AM
On 21-Mar-2018 johnpitcairn wrote:
>I think the prospect of taking the walk that Saint John Clarke died on
>wins. It shall be walked. And we shall very likely be degusted. And Gribble
>Guidance shall be thanked.

Just put it MisterGribble's account at the Royal Mail

MisterGribble
21-Mar-2018
11:50:54 AM
My Lehman Brothers charge card is behind the bar, I have good credit there

Look forward to reading the TR

There are 13 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints