Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Oink point

ChuckNorris
8-Feb-2018
9:46:59 PM
I have a dim recollection of a system for classifying the style of an ascent that was in extensive use in the late eighties early 90’s in the early years of sport climbing at mount arapiles. All I can remember of the system was that a level of superiority over a red point ascent was the “oink - point” ascent.

An oink point consists of first red pointing the climb. Then when you pull the ropes after lowering you need to catch the rope close enough to the end that your clenched fist will cover the tail. And voila you have just oink pointed the route.

Not sure whether it caught on but I remember there was a complex system of graduation involving whether there was loose rock when you pulled the rope or whether you pink pointed it rather than red pointed it etc.

I’d be interested if anyone can remember the details as I can’t seem to find anything enlightening on 8a.nu.

Thanks in advance for your future participation in this most important of topics.
Jayford4321
8-Feb-2018
11:13:37 PM
On 8-Feb-2018 Stugang wrote:
>I have a dim recollection of a system for classifying the style of an ascent
>that was in extensive use in the late eighties early 90’s in the early
>years of sport climbing at mount arapiles. All I can remember of the system
>was that a level of superiority over a red point ascent was the “oink -
>point” ascent.
>
>An oink point consists of first red pointing the climb. Then when you
>pull the ropes after lowering you need to catch the rope close enough to
>the end that your clenched fist will cover the tail. And voila you have
>just oink pointed the route.
>
>Not sure whether it caught on but I remember there was a complex system
>of graduation involving whether there was loose rock when you pulled the
>rope or whether you pink pointed it rather than red pointed it etc.
>
>I’d be interested if anyone can remember the details as I can’t seem to
>find anything enlightening on 8a.nu.
>
>Thanks in advance for your future participation in this most important
>of topics.

(Can C tha rope burns and broken fingers agen now. . .)

An no Ed , ima not casting 4 characters in Oink point, a Deliverance style filum 4 upcoming Goatfest.
Try simey or cj.
f_abe
9-Feb-2018
7:53:35 AM
It might’ve just been an SA thing…I remember it was all the rage up the summit back in the day (with the exception of french Freddy, but then again, he was a general exception to any rule) but whenever I mentioned it elsewhere people would just look at me like I was some weird stoner dude. I also recall you just had to catch it within a foot of the end but that could’ve just been a consequence of my bumbly ethos at the time.
hero
9-Feb-2018
7:56:41 AM
I thought it was within a metre of the end but maybe I was soft coq.

And I thought it was a Qld thing?
dalai
9-Feb-2018
10:46:47 AM
Did it as well, but can't recall who showed me. Could have been Madams (SA connection) as I climbed with him a bit back then...

Superstu
9-Feb-2018
2:32:55 PM
If you caught the rope at the end your mates bought you a milkshake in nati.
Might have been an MUMC thing.

mikllaw
9-Feb-2018
3:52:58 PM
It was developed in the 80s, if you hung on every runner complaining that it was easy then tried to down grade it, then it was an oink point.
Trust the alcoholics to mess it up
tiredarmsnoskills
9-Feb-2018
5:03:02 PM
Overheard some peeps telling their first time climber mate to try this at Summerday recently. I though they were just setting him up to cop a rope to the scone but there you go, it's a thing.
jimfalla
9-Feb-2018
6:09:49 PM
I vaguely remember you being there Stuart but beyond that I really can't recall....Has it got something to do with taping your fingers so tightly they turn blue before getting to the first bolt????
Maybe try exploding a snot filled condom on your head and the memory will come flooding back???
For some reason I think fizzy and Aruna Giri had something to do with it?
kieranl
9-Feb-2018
6:13:45 PM
Christ I've led a sheltered life!

Miguel75
9-Feb-2018
8:25:13 PM
I love playing the rope catch game, though have never managed to get closer than 30cm:(

bigchris
10-Feb-2018
8:21:23 AM
On 9-Feb-2018 Miguel75 wrote:
>I love playing the rope catch game, though have never managed to get closer
>than 30cm:(

And we always push everyone out of the way to get the glorious 6pack of beer but it still never works :D
Jayford4321
11-Feb-2018
6:59:52 PM
On 10-Feb-2018 bigchris wrote:
>On 9-Feb-2018 Miguel75 wrote:
>>I love playing the rope catch game, though have never managed to get
>closer
>>than 30cm:(
>
>And we always push everyone out of the way to get the glorious 6pack of
>beer but it still never works :D

Ha , lightweight gumbies sindrome.
Reminda 2 self , hav2 get my fren stuey 2 show U how itz done.
Stugang
16-Feb-2018
8:58:57 PM
Jim I have photos that may help ya memory. Not a snot shot but there’s a pre-guru with big hair. Also a couple of other weirdos one had no shoes the other one’s shoes stank.

I’ll upload it sometime but don’t hold your breath unless you come across Kenny Rogers’ old sneakers.

There are 14 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints