Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 5 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 88
Author
The Irish Solution to The Ben Lomond Problem
ima.seriousyoungliza
24-Jan-2018
4:03:38 PM
http://www.thesarvo.com/confluence/display/thesarvo/Ben+Lomond+-+Southern+Escarpment

The Trinity Split (24) goes direct up the face L of Aqualung and R of Blue Eyed Son. Four pitches, 22, 24, 23 and 19, involving spectacular face climbing in some very runout situations. It was first attempted a few years ago by another party and a bolt from that attempt has been removed, but one of their pitons remains insitu: it was not clipped as there is a good cam placement next to it.
Gerry Narkowicz and Pat Butler, 2012.

Gerry NarkowiczMar 14, 2007
Stacks Bluff is on Ben Lomond and will remain bolt free, like all the other cliffs on the mountain. MInd you, I have felt tempted to put a bolt or two in at Africa - many big faces but no gear - however we need to respect the trad ethic that has prevailed since the early 70's. - some hard core trad climber will come along one day and lead those faces and aretes at Stacks and run it out from r.ps on 26+ climbing. They do it in England, but no-ones got the balls to do it Tassie.

...GERRY G-BANGA....every couple of years you get wobbly at the knees over this issue .......ya don't need balls to chop bolts put in by idiots .... or to climb 5.12 faces with rps......YOU JUST NEED ATTITUDE....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-24/miranda-gibson-australias-longest-running-tree-sitter/9335934

.....lest we forget...

The good Dr
25-Jan-2018
7:34:05 PM
OK, aghain it seems pitons are fine to leave hammered in all over the place but bolts are bad. Drill some holes, bang in some pins in the holes for rap ancors (aka Indian Creek) and problem solved.
ima.seriousyoungliza
25-Jan-2018
8:19:58 PM
.....oh very good....glad someone spotted the piton anomaly...

OK....G-BANGA.....IF UR FAIR DINKUM ABOUT ALL THIS.... THEN THIS SUMMER...YOU NEED TO REMOVE THAT PITON AND THOSE BLOODY TUBE CHOCKS PUT IN BY FANTINI........PEOPLE CAN BORROW THEM OFF YOU AND PLACE EM ON LEAD ....

...OK ...according to this there is only one now.....makes the ' decision' even easier...

Fantini's Offwidth aka Pipeline 45m 22
Climb the "hideous" west-facing offwidth past a specially made tube (there used to be two, but one has fallen out or otherwise vanished. Starts as a hand and then fist crack, but quickly gets into the swing of things.
J.Fantini, 1980's.

...THERE IS NO ROOM FOR SQEAMISH SENTAMENTALITY......ROCK A DAY JOHNNY SHOULDA KNOWN BETTER ...AND NOT LEFT THEM THERE.....ITS GOTTA GO....
Jayford4321
26-Jan-2018
6:16:17 PM
On 25-Jan-2018 seriously liza wrote;
>ROCK A DAY JOHNNY SHOULDA KNOWN BETTER

Blaspheme.
Jayford4321
26-Jan-2018
6:22:43 PM
On 25-Sep-2017 The good Dr wrote:
>The obvious solution has been completely overlooked. Install any rap stations
>using pitons and shackles. Pitons have been used at Ben Lomond since the
>early days and still recommended for use (e.g. see the ice climbing guide).
>There are still old pins lingering on routes and not a word about removing
>these.
>
>Problem solved,

On 10-Oct-2017 The good Dr wrote:
>As I noted earlier, let us just go back to pitons as fixed pro and anchors
>at the Ben. Currently seems perfectly acceptable.

On 25-Jan-2018 The good Dr wrote:
>OK, aghain it seems pitons are fine to leave hammered in all over the place
>but bolts are bad. Drill some holes, bang in some pins in the holes for
>rap ancors (aka Indian Creek) and problem solved.

There iz a reason peeps R ignoring Ur commentz , but far B it for me to say itz a crap idea , so insted I'll just say good luck wiff that , an 2 back up my theory about some peeps think itz crap will quoteU agen -

On 4-Aug-2014 The good Dr wrote:
>
>
>Pulled these couple of dodgy pins on the weekend from Warmonger at Araps.
>
>
>The angle everyone relies on to stop hitting the belay ledge. This ended
>up being pretty loose and even though "fully" embeded it was in a flare
>and only had contact with the end couple of cm of the pin (you can see
>it if you look closely).
>
>The leeper was a bit below the angle, and of its condition ... well, enough
>said! Fortunately the leeper was embeded in a perfect cam placement (0.2
>X4 camelot works really well) high enough to be useful, so replacement
>fixed gear was not needed.
>
>Take care out there as this type of evil can be well hidden from view
>and difficult to assess by just looking at the gear. Just immediately assume
>it is dodgy!!
IMA.SERIOUSYOUNGLIZA
27-Jan-2018
6:38:43 PM

........................................................................................................................................" .......BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRP !!!!!!! "

...I usta hate CCR until I discovered this classic from the Fantini Years ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOh8QNZeCs0

ionlyski
8-Dec-2018
2:19:52 AM
I'll put it this way. You guys and gals are lucky to have what you do at The Ben. Here in the U.S. we've got lots of Wendys but not one single area sans bolts.

Cheers,
Arne

Duang Daunk
8-Dec-2018
6:05:40 PM
On 8-Dec-2018 ionlyski wrote:
>I'll put it this way. You guys and gals are lucky to have what you do
>at The Ben. Here in the U.S. we've got lots of Wendys but not one single
>area sans bolts.
>
>Cheers,
>Arne

Sweet reply bro.
... And all the more relevant given the shit happening on the south end of the big island at the moment.

Page 5 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 88
There are 88 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints