Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Crash/landing Matts for Woody
lebaguette
8-Aug-2017
11:14:19 AM
Hi All

I am in the process of building my home woody and wondering if anyone has any recommendations or advice on the best place or ways to get crash mats? Places I have found so far seem incredibly expensive and are for competition gymnastics

I am aiming for the full boulder gym style crash mat as opposed to the small transportable type to take to crags

any assistance greatly appreciated

Pat
8-Aug-2017
12:47:44 PM
Where are you?

If in Melbourne, PM me - I have a large stash of mattresses from my wall leftover from re -configuring it. You could take a look at them and take what you like.
lebaguette
8-Aug-2017
12:58:58 PM
Hi Pat
I'm in Bairnsdale (Gippsland).

Thankyou very much for the kind offer, greatly appreciated. Out of curiosity, approx how many mattresses?
gfdonc
8-Aug-2017
1:11:52 PM
I did buy a proper mat from a gym supplies place in Brunswick. I was put off by large numbers from the main gym supplies places and looked around.
The guy seemed a little dodgy but the mat is not. They make stuff locally and the mat I got seemed to have been left over from some other order so he was letting it go relatively cheaply. Price was reasonable, but I'm not comparing to free mattresses! You're still looking at $00's, but I'm happy with the result.

Try http://www.tkksports.com.au/home.html (03) 9380-2261
The Rock Robster
8-Aug-2017
6:53:44 PM
Old mattresses, preferably foam, but you can always take the springs out too. Check out any local dumping grounds/recycling centres etc. If you want proper mats, you'll be looking at a hefty price tag.

EDIT: Actually the other option that I assume would be cheaper (don't quote me on this) is to buy foam from somewhere like Clark Rubber, and lay that on the floor, then cover it with carpet or something.

Sabu
9-Aug-2017
8:56:25 AM
We've just been through this process. Ordered a custom sized mat from a South Australian supplier (CHSE) for 800 delivered. After looking around this was certainly the best deal as other places were quoting the foam alone to be over 2k.

Specs were: 3600 x 1800 x 150mm with an outdoor covering. Foam grade was 27 -160. Very, very happy with what we got. Our wall is 2.8m high so fall height isn't too significant. Any higher and you'd want a bit more padding though.
gfdonc
9-Aug-2017
9:19:06 AM
Yes I'd seen quotes for over 2k.
Mine was a little cheaper than yours (but without delivery), 3mx1.5, but 250mm thick.

Pat
9-Aug-2017
2:18:07 PM
Plenty,

probably 15 or more. I can check specifics on Saturday if you want. Quite a few double/queen. What I did was lay the inner spring ones one way on the bottom alternating the orientation for two thicknesses and added cast off foam ones on the top - works well on a relatively high wall. Just drag the foam ones around under whatever problem we are working on.

There are 8 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints