General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 21
Author
Drone photography
Swiitch drone photo
7-Aug-2017
8:09:01 PM
Hi guys

I'm a keen drone photographer. I'm looking to shoot some serious rock climbing action

It's for personal use and I can provide and footage to you

I live in Victoria and I'm happy to fit in with your schedule

If anyone is interested let me know do we can tee up a time

The footage will be edited and added to my website

Thanks
Ben rancie

kieranl
7-Aug-2017
8:40:51 PM
Do you have permits to operate inside State/National Parks?
gfdonc
8-Aug-2017
9:18:59 AM
For non-commercial use he does not require a permit for filming 'above' parks. CASA regulates airspace.
Only need a permit for takeoffs and landings within the parks.
jacksonclimbs
10-Aug-2017
2:18:59 AM
TBH You may find the climbing community is fairly anti-drone.

I'm in the, don't use the drone unless you have everyone at the crag's permission.

At a place like the grampians, that can be very hard, as other crags are often within earshot.

Many climbers complain about the noise generated by drones.

Your offer is obviously friendly and well meaning, and I'm sure you might find someone to take you up on your offer, just something to keep in mind.

D.Lodge
12-Aug-2017
12:41:08 PM
Currently it is illegal to fly a drone over National and State parks, not sure how to get a permit to do so either.
gfdonc
12-Aug-2017
1:49:45 PM
On 12/08/2017 D.Lodge wrote:
>Currently it is illegal to fly a drone over National and State parks, not
>sure how to get a permit to do so either.

Parks Vic site has details about permits. Quite impractical for hobbyist pilots however.
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/park-management/applications,-licences-and-permits/filming-and-photography

And so we're clear, D. Lodge's statement is incorrect. The Parks adminstration(s) do not control airspace. Any more than I can stop helicopters flying over my property. (wish)

robin2
13-Aug-2017
7:54:30 PM
Giday Steve. I have it from a good source that Drones are banned in State Parks and National Parks. PV also has it on their website. I'm not exactly sure where it sits in the regulation but I think it probably falls under section 73 - operating annoying or disturbing devices - 10 Penalty Units (approx $1500).
kieranl
13-Aug-2017
9:07:54 PM
gfdonc's posts correctly state the position. This post from cliffcare contains a notice from Parks concerning drones in Parks. Refer to that for the official position.

https://cliffcare.org.au/2017/04/27/access-environment-report-april-2017/
robin2
14-Aug-2017
6:39:07 PM
Not wanting to get in a tit for tat argument here. This is off the PV website, with RPAS being remote piloted air (somethings).

'Recreational use of RPAS by the general public is prohibited on Parks Victoria managed land. The recreational use of RPAS is not permitted under Parks Victoria regulations and visitors should refrain from flying them or they may receive a penalty infringement notice.'

It is likely you will only get a warning the first time round but a fine is possible. Also, I was just wanting to make the point that you don't have to control air space to have power to ban drones. You are both correct that it is not illegal if you have a permit.
gfdonc
14-Aug-2017
10:39:57 PM
As I understand it, the penalty notice you might be issued with concerns takeoffs and landings "of aircraft" on PV land without a permit. The key bits in your quote are "on Parks Victoria managed land".

PV considers RPAS are aircraft hence the infringement.

I suggest given the date of the original legislation and the size of the fine (roughly 2x the amount for running a red light, in my view a far more serious offence) the regulation was intended to apply to manned aircraft. However that's just my opinion...
Marky
16-Aug-2017
12:25:33 PM
I have a mate who has a Drone business and from what I was told and have read is that you can't land, fly and take off a drone in a state & national park without approval and a fee from PV. There is also evidence of this with notice's placed at Araps clearly stating that "you cannot fly drones" within Tooan State park without a permit and approval from PV.
Rockwalker
3-Apr-2018
4:54:52 PM
I was at Araps on the weekend and encountered a number of drones. The PV website seems pretty clear - Flying them on PV land is banned. Now be sensible - it MUST mean flying them above the PV managed land right.
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/safety/be-safe-plan-ahead/rpas-drones
https://www.casa.gov.au/modelaircraft

If you're doing it Please don't:
(1) It's f...ing annoying
(2) It's illegal.
(3) It's an invasion of privacy. You may want to publish your entire life online, but not everyone else does.
(4) No one leading on their limit wants to be accidentally bumped by an out of control drone
(5) No one wants their rope cut/damaged by fast spinning blades.

Also if you are flying one in a climbing area - beware of falling rocks - they're a serious hazard.

Lets make our climbing areas
"NO DRONE ZONES"
gfdonc
4-Apr-2018
10:00:55 AM
On 3-Apr-2018 Rockwalker wrote:
>PV website seems pretty clear - Flying them on PV land is banned. Now
>be sensible - it MUST mean flying them above the PV managed land right.

No - reread the thread above for clarification.

>(4) No one leading on their limit wants to be accidentally bumped by an
>out of control drone

Are you suggesting drone flyers at Arapiles are buzzing climbers that closely?
In which case yes it would be illegal as well as potentially dangerous. CASA mandates a 30m minimum distance.

Jacques Shurmer
4-Apr-2018
10:09:44 AM
If people take off and land outside of the parks boundary Parks Victoria cannot issue you a fine.
The real issue isnt the noise and annoying privacy argument its the fact that if you crash a drone its possible that you may rupture internals of the battery and cause a fire, thats reason enough to think carefully about using one even if it can technically be done legally.
Rockwalker
6-Apr-2018
8:29:17 AM
I was certainly buzzed within 30m. The concern is that if the flyer makes a small mistake or is distracted or the drone loses signal from the controller, or an inexperienced operator, or... these things make it dangerous.

Some may say"climbing is dangerous anyway", but the climber is the one in charge of the risk, not someone on an RC.
johnpitcairn
9-Apr-2018
2:18:45 PM
I'm sick to death of this shit in NZ too. A lot of offenders seem to be euro tourists over here, some with very expensive gear.

At Araps before Easter, I spoke to a guy flying a drone from the lookout about a permit being required. He mumbled "is it?" then turned away and kept flying. My wife was with me so I didn't feel like being more pointed. You could hear the bloody thing right down at the entrance to central gully. Should have taken his photo and the 2 vehicle regos.

Also had one buzz past a couple of days later while up something on Tiger Wall. Possibly not within 30m but damn annoying. I yelled something appropriately rude very loudly.

There need to be more prominent signs up at the lookouts and info boards I reckon. The toilets are not ideal, I think it mostly isn't campers/climbers doing the flying.

And is it acceptable for a member of the public to ask to see the drone flyer's permit? Is there any kind of reporting/complaints system in place?

Keenas
9-Apr-2018
8:08:21 PM
Drones are getting so common I think we will just get used to them. They piss me off, but they don’t seem to persist too long. Last Sunday I saw a pair fly from Horne Point to Corroboree Walls, didn’t take too move out of earshot. But had one come within 15m of me on top Of Zig Zag a few days later, now that sucked. Then saw one while climbing at Boganville yesterday. That place is in the middle of nowhere and still can’t escape from them!
Jayford4321
9-Apr-2018
11:16:51 PM
On 9-Apr-2018 Keenas wrote:
>Drones are getting so common I think we will just get used to them. They
>piss me off, but they don’t seem to persist too long. Last Sunday I saw
>a pair fly from Horne Point to Corroboree Walls, didn’t take too move out
>of earshot. But had one come within 15m of me on top Of Zig Zag a few days
>later, now that sucked. Then saw one while climbing at Boganville yesterday.
>That place is in the middle of nowhere and still can’t escape from them!

Didn’t the dudes that used to ride horses say the same things about the first cars?
Kuu BA M9 or mikl might remember?
BA
10-Apr-2018
9:36:12 AM
I remember when we were walking out of Africa and somebody on one of those new fangled horse things went by. We thought it would never last, I mean how were you going to control the thing, surely it would end up trampling people. Then there was the fuel for it, what were the cattle going to eat and the horses would certainly drink all the water from the water holes.

I remember when horses became the norm and we used hawser laid hemp ropes to save them from running amok.

I remember when we had to put shoes on them, proper shoes with vibram soles and nails, sure they made a noise but it was better than these stealth shoes they wear now.

I remember when the cattle became a problem as well. Forever sneaking up behind us and suddenly bellowing out a loud MOOO and frightening us. We fixed that by putting cow bells made from hexagonal aluminium around their necks.

And yes, I remember when cars became a neccessity to get to distant places like Hanging Rock, Camels Hump, The Grampians and that most distant of all places called Mount Arapiles.

And yes, drones are annoying, especially in the suburbs. They seem to be used by architects and real esate agents in our area before any redevelopment.

In a recent issue of New Scientist there was an article about how to disrupt them, mostly they involved stopping the rotors which means they would then drop out of the sky onto anybody/anything below them. Blasting them with radio waves to disrupt their control system has the same problem and it doesn't affect autonomous drones. There was even a photo of a large eagle grabbing one in midair, but the main problem was ensuring the eagle didn't get sidetracked into hunting for its lunch.
lacto
11-Apr-2018
1:00:02 PM
Arapiles used to have a rifle range , go back a bit in time and give out shotguns - drones would soon go elsewhere . One time at Arapiles the guy I was with didn't bring tea but headed off predawn and came back with enough rabbits for stew all round This was after going off road between Stawell and Horsham to spotlight and dispose of a fox with shotgun and then rifle those were the days !!!!!

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 21
There are 21 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints