Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Bear Grylls solos Rainshadow at Malham Cove
dmcg
7-Mar-2017
12:39:31 PM
Anyone see Britain’s Biggest Adventures with Bear Grylls on telly last night? He was soloing (is there another way to climb?) some famous route on Clogwyn Du'r Arddu all the while more focused on looking at and talking to camera than what he was doing with his hands and feet, and stopping at one point to make a big display of patting chalk all over one big hold as though the idea was to cover the hold in chalk not your hand – all up it was as hilarious as you’d expect. Sorry Bear, but even Bert shows way more authenticity in his technique and in his pieces to camera in the iconic BBC doco of the first ascent of Uxbridge Road: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U0tDU37q2M If you missed Bear last night - he is even more into hugging the rock than Bert.

Andy P
7-Mar-2017
1:41:47 PM
Ta dmcg,
Yeah, a mate of mine (non-climber) txtd me last night to say there was a magnificent climbing programme on telly about climbing in Wales.
Can I bring myself to Google it? Surely someone will be along soon to give us the highlights?
(removed)
7-Mar-2017
3:32:05 PM
Gold. Turned into a link:

On 7/03/2017 dmcg wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U0tDU37q2M
Andy P
7-Mar-2017
3:51:13 PM
Excellent work FB but can someone post the BG one please?
dmcg
7-Mar-2017
4:12:46 PM
Probably have to watch it on SBS On Demand at this stage AP http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/bear-grylls-britains-biggest-adventures

But for those after a bit of a skills refresher here are some top tips from Bear: check out the cam placement at 15 second mark - BOMBER! Also about 1:15 in I discover why I’ve been getting pumped for the last 35 years - I’ve been climbing with my arms above my shoulders….. D’oh! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hs8_Tu4sgg

dmcg
7-Mar-2017
5:28:51 PM
I have to say, in the opening of this film (where Bear free dives for mantis shrimps and annoys a baby seal in a sea cliff cave) there was some pretty stunning footage of some North Wales sea cliff coastline taken from the air. AP you would no doubt identify them immediately, the rock looked pretty damn good
Andy P
7-Mar-2017
5:54:18 PM
On 7/03/2017 dmcg wrote:
>Probably have to watch it on SBS On Demand at this stage AP http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand
>program/bear-grylls-britains-biggest-adventures

Nah, can't get it going.
>
>But for those after a bit of a skills refresher here are some top tips

Well b*gger me readers, am incredibly refreshered!
To be fair to the bear though, he has the last laugh as doubtless means well and is probably coining it in. He who laughs last last laughs loudest, no?
Dmcg
7-Mar-2017
9:36:55 PM
On 7/03/2017 Andy P wrote:
>Nah, can't get it going

You gotta sign up to SBS On Demand first - download the (free) app, create an account and Bob's your uncle. Took me about 10 minutes all up before I was re-watching Bear lurching sylvester Stallone like up Snowdon (and if I can do it...😁). Cardigan Bay is where the opening aerial shots are. Any good climbing there?
Andy P
7-Mar-2017
9:52:50 PM
On 7/03/2017 Dmcg wrote:
>On 7/03/2017 Andy P wrote:
>>Nah, can't get it going
>
>You gotta sign up to SBS On Demand first - download the (free) app,

Free Dmcg? Blimey I can't afford That much! Shall wait for a non-charging link to appear and watch that. Did he really solo Indian Face? Johnny will be spewing.Tee Hee!!

MisterGribble
7-Mar-2017
10:36:07 PM
Nah, it was 'The Bells....' in hiking boots.

#Gribblehumour
dmcg
8-Mar-2017
9:24:23 AM
On 7/03/2017 Andy P wrote: Did he really solo Indian Face? Johnny will
>be spewing.Tee Hee!!

Indian face was just so someone might read the post… Bear climbed some short steep juggy vegetated thing near the top of a Mt Snowdon cliff line ..that’s all the info I gained. Going on the reputation of India Face and having watched Bears jerky, erratic movements I doubt he’d get off the ground on that, even with a tight top rope (especially with his bag of survival gear on his back)..sorry Bear.
Pommy
8-Mar-2017
1:10:33 PM
BG did say it was one of the hardest climbs in the country, or something along those lines. Maybe all the grass and shrubs contribute to the difficulty?
Jayford4321
8-Mar-2017
1:44:21 PM
On 8/03/2017 Pommy wrote:
>BG did say it was one of the hardest climbs in the country, or something
>along those lines. Maybe all the grass and shrubs contribute to the difficulty?

Nar. Hiz audienz R gym numpteez an couch cabbiges 4 tha most part, an wot e woz doin woz outside, thatz Y itz well ard.
Darron
9-Mar-2017
8:13:59 AM
I managed to track it down here in the UK. I think it is on Cloggy but not a recognised climb as such (or maybe it's the top scramble off a route?). Really it's normal BG stuff - something made to look at lot more than it is. Load of guff really but I suppose it keeps folk entertained.
simey
9-Mar-2017
12:26:27 PM
The Monty Python clip listed at the start of this thread is pretty funny, but it pales in comparison to that Bear Grylls clip of him climbing in the Mojave Desert.

Given Bear Grylls is so ridiculous I would have thought it would be pretty hard to do a parody of him, but this clip does a pretty good job...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTlsqZ214Mw

dmcg
15-Mar-2017
7:06:56 PM
In the second episode of Britain’s Biggest Adventure with Bear Grylls, Bear solos Rainshadow at Malham Cove..

...well...okay…he abseiled down Malham cove…not even bothering with a pretense to climb this time.

But…he did abseil over the top of Steve McClure who seemed so excited (bored sh#tless) at having to do a few moves between hanging on bolts for the camera that he forgot to do up his shoes laces. Okay I know it’s not a show about climbing but given Bear’s taken us to two of the UK’s iconic climbing spots in the first two episodes...it just seemed a tragic waste of cinematographic resources.

Next week he’s in Scotland…will he abseil down Dumbarton rock…(whoops...I mean solo Rhapsody..)
robbio
15-Mar-2017
8:06:53 PM
On 9/03/2017 simey wrote:

>Given Bear Grylls is so ridiculous I would have thought it would be pretty
>hard to do a parody of him, but this clip does a pretty good job...
>
>www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTlsqZ214Mw

Thanks for sharing the vid simey, the opening helicopter scene is worth watching in it's own right. Erection comedy gold!

There are 17 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints