Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Dirtbagging around europe
hermes
23-Jan-2017
9:08:56 PM
Hi All,
I'm planning to head over to Europe in August for a climbing trip with a friend. So far we only have the barest idea of where we want to go and we're not really sure how far our budget will stretch.

Basically we both have about 5-6 months to travel as far as we can get. I was hoping the Chockstone community might be able to share some tips for dirtbagging in Europe, and fun places to climb. We were thinking of maybe buying a cheap van too, but I'm not really sure what the camping at crags situation is over there either.

Has anyone had much experience climbing over there on a budget?
Ariel
24-Jan-2017
11:05:34 AM
I lived in France for a while and dirtbagged around Spain a bit. Camping in public spots (ie crags) is generally illegal, and there's bugger all infrastructure in terms of access to water anywhere I went. It's usually possible to find somewhere to put a tent, but your life would be made a tonne easier with a van. Also, bizarrely enough tent camping seems to be illegal throughout France/Spain, but van and RV camping is promoted :/ .

I'd recommend:
* The area around Montpellier, FR has thousands of great sports routes within 45 minutes of the city. Tourists don't seem to really get to this area, but I don't understand why. My favourite spot was Thaurac, but there's tonnes of others. The Thaurac alone has 800ish routes.
* Mont Sainte-Victoire near Aix en Provence is incredible. Heaps of sport and trad on really solid limestone. Some really cool alpine-style adventure routes of 300+ metres.
* Les Dentelles de Montmirail in south-central FR. Likewise heaps of sport and trad on solid limestone. Awesome setting.
* Les Calanques around Marseille. As above, but even more amazing setting. You can do some stupendously long multi-pitch traverses above the ocean if you want.
* Les Gorges d'Heric nearish Toulouse. Not world-class, but if you're in the area it's a really pretty nonetheless. I never climbed here (only went for a wander through the park) but there's supposed to be plenty of decent trad/mixed granite stuff.

The whole east coast of Spain is incredible. I can't remember the names of everywhere we went, but the cragging around Oliana is incredible, and El Chorro is phenomenal for winter. If you just drove down the east coast with a pile of guide books though you could easily enjoy yourselves for a few months.
martym
24-Jan-2017
3:33:54 PM
on a budget, try Croatia & Slovenia. Check out Slovakia too and the Czech Republic - the latter for it's beer & culture, the climbing is scary.
martym
24-Jan-2017
3:34:52 PM
There are many threads about this if you use the search - try "Dirtbag & Europe"

There are 4 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints