Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
What scared you?
mikllaw
2-Jul-2015
7:09:40 PM
I was talking the Jules Lines (Tears of the Dawn) about when he got 'The Fear', and soloing seemed hard and scary. it was after a smallish paraglider crash,

My unpiphany (?) was after a few racing crashes. Do many people lose their temporary immortality climbing, or do we just age out and look for a reason afterwards?
mikllaw
2-Jul-2015
7:10:10 PM
PS, soloed a new route today, tiny and terrifying.

timfreddo
2-Jul-2015
8:33:24 PM
What scared me was a mixture of being one of the first responders to a fatality where someone was dropped, and growing older/more responsible and having the pressure of getting injured= no work, no pay...
OozeDumbHopeless
2-Jul-2015
11:01:40 PM
Cancer.
egosan
3-Jul-2015
8:07:14 AM
Get a cat. The toxo keeps me on top of my game.
kieranl
3-Jul-2015
9:34:41 AM
I was born scared.

Eduardo Slabofvic
3-Jul-2015
3:16:39 PM
being told I'd had a heart attack

JamesMc
3-Jul-2015
7:45:35 PM
Exploratory canyoning without a drill.

JamesMc
bentobox
3-Jul-2015
10:56:41 PM
Breaking my arm and dislocating my shoulder in an accident makes me cry every time i see a climb involving a layback.
capt_planit
4-Jul-2015
6:34:11 AM
Age. I once asked an 89 year old friend about life, his reply "it is never enough". The older you get the more you realize each minute is precious.
One Day Hero
5-Jul-2015
5:44:30 PM
Learning how debillitating "minor" injuries can be. Broken ankles and smashed talus bones can affect mobility for life. It makes me wince seeing young climbers risk that kind of injury for no good reason, but I used to do it too.
rolsen1
5-Jul-2015
6:26:52 PM
On 2/07/2015 mikllaw wrote:
>I was talking the Jules Lines (Tears of the Dawn) about when he got 'The
>Fear', and soloing seemed hard and scary. it was after a smallish paraglider
>crash,
>
>My unpiphany (?) was after a few racing crashes. Do many people lose their
>temporary immortality climbing, or do we just age out and look for a reason
>afterwards?

This hasn't happened to me as such, though age does seem to give a different perspective. Having children does also make you realise that the decisions you may make might have wider ramifications, but then again I wasn't ever that brave and I could count the times I've pushed my limits while climbing on one hand. Also, once you reach a certain age, chasing numbers, or onsights, seems pointless...

I don't think my climbing partner would mind me saying, that after his father died unexpectedly a number of years ago, he bought a climbing helmet and was initially a lot more circumspect about climbing, this lasted for a few months. He doesn't wear his helmet very often now though...
Jayford4321
5-Jul-2015
6:38:34 PM
simey used to scare me, till I realised some of his ascents aren't as pure as I first thought.
Edwierdo still scares me.
Reluctant
7-Jul-2015
11:20:12 AM
I'll echo the cancer call above. Other times - almost drowned (twice), coming off a motorbike at high speed, being shot at. But the most scared and definitely helpless was watching my son at 7 weeks fight to live. Fear grows with age because you (should) have more to lose.
gfdonc
7-Jul-2015
11:26:44 AM
Large flakes falling off Half Dome scares me.
simey
7-Jul-2015
2:12:37 PM
On 5/07/2015 gnaguts wrote:
>simey used to scare me, till I realised some of his ascents aren't as pure as I first thought.

What are you talking about?! My ascents are as pure as the driven snow.
BA
8-Jul-2015
10:58:31 AM
On 7/07/2015 simey wrote:
>My ascents are as pure as the driven snow.
>

Watch out where the huskies go
And don't you eat that yellow snow

ambyeok
9-Jul-2015
1:30:56 PM
Every single time a non-climber stands near the edge of a cliff
Jayford4321
9-Jul-2015
4:31:33 PM
On 7/07/2015 simey wrote:
>What are you talking about?! My ascents are as pure as the driven slush.
>
Corrected that for you mate.

There are 19 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints