Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 28
Author
Poo photoessays for Simey
Wendy
18-May-2015
10:05:41 AM
These were all taken in the space of about a minute, that's how hard they are to find. From places as far from a toilet as the top of the Pines, and as far from the car as Bushranger's carpark. Items as diverse as loo paper, poo, tampons, wetwipes and underwear. Don't ask me how someone lost their underwear in the bushes. Maybe they used it to wipe their bum and abandoned it. My point being, despite Simey's visual and memory impairments (understandable given his advancing age), climbers at Araps are far from bush toilet trained and I hate the way climbers like to be sanctimonious about how environmentally sensitive we all are, when really, we are not.

Top left of Pines:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153900375254778.1073741828.710839777&type=1&l=d8097c2753

Base of Muldoon
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153900373094778.1073741827.710839777&type=1&l=8040d2f068

Rabbit Boulder:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153900371839778.1073741826.710839777&type=1&l=99622e6862

Bushranger's car park:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153900370349778.1073741825.710839777&type=1&l=070aecca85
bentobox
18-May-2015
10:11:06 AM
I am saddened by the fact Facebook doesn't want me to see peoples poop.

Eduardo Slabofvic
18-May-2015
12:46:59 PM
This is going to be one the best Chockstone threads ever. A whole lot of people getting hot under the collar on the subject of poo, and with photos to boot!.

I'm glad Al Gore invented the internet, otherwise we wouldn't be able to do this.

ajfclark
18-May-2015
1:49:27 PM
On 18/05/2015 bentobox wrote:
>I am saddened by the fact Facebook doesn't want me to see peoples poop.

Wendy's fixed the album links so you too can now enjoy the pleasures of Arapiliean poop!

Sorry Wendy, I can't find my pictures of toilet paper flags in trees at various locations around Arapiles...

jezza
18-May-2015
1:50:51 PM
Quiet drink with a neighbour at the Nati Pub - $5.50
Trolling her into wandering Araps and publicly posting photos of poop - priceless.
Wendy
19-May-2015
8:22:24 AM
I've had a bee in my bonnet about climber's crap crap management for a long time. It took me a few seconds and wandering about 2m off the path I was walking on to the crag to find these. I didn't start the day intend to do an artistic portrayal of poo but when you are sitting on the barrier at the car park of bushrangers and notice 3-4 of them from there, it reminds you of someone's remarkable lack of vision. Besides, disagreeing with Simey has been an enjoyable passtime for many years now.

ajfclark
19-May-2015
8:58:33 AM
I'm pretty sure one of those piles of paper is actually on the path on the way up to the base of Muldoon. If it's not buried, the paper gets washed away and appears in quite a few gullies.

jezza
19-May-2015
11:26:47 AM
Wendy isn't it true that many of these photos are dupes, or of the same poo pile, but taken at different angles? I could be wrong, because I only spent a few seconds looking at your images, and I was surfing the internet anyway so it wasn't out of my way really.

Also some of them lack detail. While I genuinely admire the time sacrificed to find, capture and upload these images of shit, sort them into facebook albums, post them to Chocky, fix the links, and so on, I wish that the images themselves were clearer. Perhaps the raw footage is available. Claky, could we be looking at higher def images somewhere, or are you able to enhance them?

ajfclark
19-May-2015
11:39:39 AM
I could wipe up a quick 3D model for you Jezza...
PDRM
19-May-2015
12:08:26 PM
There's a glossy coffee table book in this Wendy!
Howsie
19-May-2015
12:33:32 PM
I have seen very little poo so far but lots of toilet paper/tissues, are we sure people arent just blowing their nose?

+1 for the coffee table book, perhaps Simey could help with the publishing

Eduardo Slabofvic
19-May-2015
1:03:20 PM
On 19/05/2015 PDRM wrote:
>There's a glossy coffee table book in this Wendy!

Scratch and sniff?
Wendy
19-May-2015
1:34:38 PM
Jezza, I could just get you the GPS coordinates so you can collect samples yourself. Although you won't need anything so precise, just take a short detour from any main crag.

Really, i don't care if they wiped their nose, bum or willy with this stuff (although I'm pretty sure that tampon was not used to plug someone's runny nose), I care that they then don't know, care or can't be bothered dealing with it properly. And I am sick of people saying climbers don't do this shit or that trad climbers are any better than sport climbers, because the evidence certainly suggests that a large number of all climbers at all crags are incapable of basic bush potty training. Not to mention other rubbish. The only reason I can see that Araps looks any better than the Glen is it is much more widely dispersed. If we had a trad crag as popular as the Glen with as little area to poo in as the Glen, it would look suspiciously like the Glen.
JohnK
19-May-2015
2:24:55 PM
Wendy - about time someone spoke up about this! I remember here in OZ we use to pride ourselves that only in Europe did we see toilet paper all over the place. Obviously not. Well done for raising this, has been annoying me recently as there seems to be more and more toilet paper / human waste visible now at Araps.

Weekend talk has it that a nice new pile of human poo has been added over the weekend at the start of the 3rd pitch of the Bard - and I am not referring to the long standing pile of gluie looking stuff which has been near traverse and P2 for years.

To the people that have problems controlling their bowel movements: make sure you go to the toilet before you start climbing! There are nice flush toilets at the Pines and If nature does call then make sure you dig a large hole and at least bury the stuff properly which should be a last resort in any case. and well away from any walking tracks.

p.s. perhaps this issue, and that there is also a lot of plastic, small bits of rubbish etc etc due to the increased traffic at Araps in recent times, means a Clean Up Araps Day with some volunteers is needed - i'd be up for it with gloves etc to make sure we keep the place clean.

One Day Hero
19-May-2015
4:25:49 PM
On 19/05/2015 JohnK wrote:
>I remember here in OZ we
>use to pride ourselves that only in Europe did we see toilet paper all
>over the place.

I totally agree. It used to be one of the few ways that I could feel superior to the farkin euros. They might climb harder, be better educated, have proper culture and history, but at least we used to be able to keep our crags relatively poop free.

I still reckon a couple of web cams hidden in trees on busy weekends.......live stream to chocky, no more problem ever again :)

Doug
19-May-2015
5:21:57 PM
On 19/05/2015 One Day Hero wrote:
> ... at least we used to be able to keep our
>crags relatively poop free.
>
>I still reckon a couple of web cams hidden in trees on busy weekends.......live
>stream to chocky, no more problem ever again :)

+1
lacto
19-May-2015
7:23:21 PM
Surely as councils use DNA to charge dog owners for their droppings it would be easy to collect DNA from visitors to Arapiles . would end up being more of a moneys spinner for Parks than camping fees

Duang Daunk
19-May-2015
7:30:30 PM
On 19/05/2015 lacto wrote:
>Surely as councils use DNA to charge dog owners for their droppings it
>would be easy to collect DNA from visitors to Arapiles . would end up being
>more of a moneys spinner for Parks than camping fees

Yes but simey would sue them to cover all the paternity cases that would come up against him.
Karl Bromelow
19-May-2015
8:23:15 PM
On 19/05/2015 One Day Hero wrote:
>
>I still reckon a couple of web cams hidden in trees on busy weekends.......live
>stream to chocky, no more problem ever again :)

Or visitor numbers to Arapiles and Chockstone increase as the world's coprophiles descend.

Eduardo Slabofvic
19-May-2015
9:49:58 PM
On 19/05/2015 Karl Bromelow wrote:
>
>the world's
>coprophiles descend.
>

I think you'll find that they are already here

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 28
There are 28 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints