ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 5 of 7. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 131
Author
Mt Arapiles - Camping fee booking changes 1st July
patto
20-Aug-2014
6:06:27 PM
On 19/08/2014 Wendy wrote:
>Araps is now the most sensible camp fee arrangement in PV. Think about
>a long term stay in the Grampians if you want to worry about your budget
>for camp fees.
So very true. It isn't just the cost. So many campsites have need booking online yet have no possible internet access. (Araps is relatively easy given the population and the mobile coverage.) And lets not mention many other campsites that are now partitioned into "sites" and ones which are no longer free.

I must admit that having to book online for araps is a pain in the arse The horrible website makes things worse. But overall despite my and other's whinging araps fees are not too bad.

skegly
29-Aug-2014
8:15:19 AM
Hey chocky folk.
question.
ill won't have a car so do I pay 5 bucks for a tent site and say no car?
Cheers
mic

ajfclark
29-Aug-2014
8:44:19 AM
I think that's what their instructions say somewhere...
natty
2-Sep-2014
9:31:20 PM
So... assuming that I want to go to Arapiles for a weekend or a trip, whenever, winter, summer.. I have to: #1. Be able to afford the internet... #2. Have a mobile phone which has internet.... #3. Book a time at the Library internet just to Book my stay at Arapiles... #4. And all for a government.... (**cough** ahem**) I mean... all for a website that is just completely incompetent... For what??? To be charged more fees?

And assuming that I have actually been able to PREbook my stay at arapiles... with my "apparent" credit card... How will I actually be able to extend my stay if there is no reception for my AMAZING mobile phone that I apparently need to have.., to book VIA the internet which I apparently need to have.. on my mobile which has no reception at arapiles.., which means I need to manage to find my way into town.., just to do this... in order to avoid a FINE. ?
kieranl
2-Sep-2014
9:45:48 PM
On 2/09/2014 natty wrote:
>So... assuming that I want to go to Arapiles for a weekend or a trip, whenever,
>winter, summer.. I have to: #1. Be able to afford the internet... #2. Have
>a mobile phone which has internet.... #3. Book a time at the Library internet
>just to Book my stay at Arapiles... #4. And all for a government.... (**cough**
>ahem**) I mean... all for a website that is just completely incompetent...
>For what??? To be charged more fees?
Yep it's much the same effort as required to log a whinge on Chocky.
Yes it sucks to have to book a site at Araps. But, nothing special about Araps except for the low rate, you'll have to do the same to book for any state or national park in Vic.
Yes it sucks that the website sucks.
That about sums it up. Did that help?
natty
2-Sep-2014
10:33:40 PM
Lucky for me and others (like yourself), I have actually been able to voice my complaints at this time in my life. But what about those others who simply have no means.

Keiranl: Yes it sucks to have to book a site at Araps. But, nothing special about Araps except for the low rate, you'll have to do the same to book for any state or national park in Vic.
Yes it sucks that the website sucks.
That about sums it up. Did that help?>

I do not accept this.

I say it is unreasonable. To expect people to be able to just simply "afford" this.. when there (have been and will be) budget cuts to so many areas, affecting all people, currently and in the future. It is creating a divide between the rich and the poor. (To put it bluntly.. but it is the truth)

Social inequality, and poor economic factors have been proven to affect health globally and throughout a person's life. This is not simply a "whinge" KeiranL, but a matter for town Planners to acknowledge.

Doug
3-Sep-2014
1:01:53 AM
On 29/08/2014 skegly wrote:
>Hey chocky folk.
>question.
>ill won't have a car so do I pay 5 bucks for a tent site and say no car?
>Cheers
>mic

hmmm, interesting. Off the top of my head, I think you actually book for a tent site, not a parking space. Of course if the five bucks per night for a space on the ground and all the toilet paper you need is too much, I believe there is a free campsite about 20 kms from Arapiles towards Goroke that you could doss down in and hitch to the Piles from there ...

ajfclark
3-Sep-2014
7:12:29 AM
The website asks for a car rego, much like the paper form did.

Might be tricky for those getting rentals.
kieranl
3-Sep-2014
8:41:46 AM
On 2/09/2014 natty wrote:
>Lucky for me and others (like yourself), I have actually been able to voice
>my complaints at this time in my life. But what about those others who
>simply have no means.
>I say it is unreasonable. To expect people to be able to just simply "afford"
>this.. when there (have been and will be) budget cuts to so many areas,
>affecting all people, currently and in the future. It is creating a divide
>between the rich and the poor. (To put it bluntly.. but it is the truth)
>
>Social inequality, and poor economic factors have been proven to affect
>health globally and throughout a person's life. This is not simply a "whinge"
>KeiranL, but a matter for town Planners to acknowledge.
>
>
Generally laudable polemic but you lost me a bit with the town planners. Not sure what that has to do with climbing or camping.
gfdonc
3-Sep-2014
12:22:01 PM
Hey everyone, FYI, when researching a few things recently I noticed Plantation Campground in the Grampians is somehow excluded from the fee/booking requirement.
A little odd, I assume because it's just outside the NP but still maintained by Parks.
Not that you shouldn't stay in a nice house in Halls Gap of course ..
Stingray4100
3-Sep-2014
12:33:09 PM
You could always ring them on the phone.... from the phone box...but you'll probably still need plastic money. The days of cash are pretty much gone.

Eduardo Slabofvic
4-Sep-2014
11:48:25 AM
On 3/09/2014 kieranl wrote:
>On 2/09/2014 natty wrote:
>>Lucky for me and others (like yourself), I have actually been able to
>voice
>>my complaints at this time in my life. But what about those others who
>>simply have no means.
>>I say it is unreasonable. To expect people to be able to just simply
>"afford"
>>this.. when there (have been and will be) budget cuts to so many areas,
>>affecting all people, currently and in the future. It is creating a divide
>>between the rich and the poor. (To put it bluntly.. but it is the truth)
>>
>>Social inequality, and poor economic factors have been proven to affect
>>health globally and throughout a person's life. This is not simply a
>"whinge"
>>KeiranL, but a matter for town Planners to acknowledge.
>>
>>
>Generally laudable polemic but you lost me a bit with the town planners.
>Not sure what that has to do with climbing or camping.

Town planners are evil bastards with no morals and definitely no soul. They are best avoided. It's better to leave decision making up to those members of the community who have no training, no experience, and no clue what they are doing.
lacto
4-Sep-2014
12:21:05 PM
>Town planners are evil bastards with no morals and definitely no soul.
> They are best avoided. It's better to leave decision making up to those
>members of the community who have no training, no experience, and no clue
>what they are doing.

This sounds like the current Minister for Planning - but definitely knows what he is doing

southcol
22-Oct-2014
5:00:54 PM
Hi,

Campsites are showing booked out for the lower gums for long weekend ! Does any body know if they check what you paid for, can I book pines and go elsewhere ?

BTW what a useless booking system, cannot book a family in one go.

kieranl
22-Oct-2014
5:44:09 PM
I don't think anyone would give a rats which area you are booked in.
JohnK
22-Oct-2014
6:02:18 PM
On 22/10/2014 kieranl wrote:
>I don't think anyone would give a rats which area you are booked in.

And by the looks of things neither does PV - I honestly have never seen the current ranger check on anyone other then do a quick drive around early on in the week. Do we know if PV field staff can even check live on current bookings when out in the Pines? Is anyone aware of anyone being fined?

harold
22-Oct-2014
9:34:28 PM
Yeah, I was also wondering how on earth they can tell if you have paid unless they can check live on the web booking. Pretty annoying system if you don't know exactly how long you will stay ahead of time. And yes it only takes max of two people per booking???
Will_P
23-Oct-2014
4:44:57 PM
The first weekend in July (following implementation of this new system 1st July) I got checked within 5 minutes of showing up. I had the printout receipt on the dash to show payment - I just assumed that was required (or common sense). Surprisingly, the Ranger was pleased to note the feedback I'd provided in the 'comments' section of the booking, said that's the only way to get change (feedback was how this new system was neither practical nor user-friendly for the majority user-group of the Park, that the previous system was both convenient and peer-enforced, and to please consider making Araps an exception to the new payment / reservation process).

But this is just another example of how it's not fit-for-purpose for this park - the Pines is booked out? Who came up with the number of sites? Book for the Gums and stay where you want, I'd suggest. And print out the receipt and leave it on your dashboard, with some feedback.
Jayford4321
23-Oct-2014
4:49:43 PM
On 23/10/2014 Will_P wrote:
>print out the receipt and leave it on your dashboard, with some feedback.

Like; your booking system is f---ed?
patto
23-Oct-2014
5:14:47 PM
So either Easter is going to have half as many people as every other year previously.

Or they are going to get massive fee evasion due to it being impossible to pay your fees online as it is "booked" out.

Page 5 of 7. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 120 | 121 to 131
There are 131 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints