26-Feb-2014
4:00:08 AM
Rock Climbing Life

(no it's not mine, more's the pity)
mothrfckr
26-Feb-2014
8:25:31 AM
Snicker

"Do you recommend white or colored socks? Does it matter? I think earth tones are appropriate but I don’t want to embarrass myself. Also, are socks considered aid?"

edit - gold

"Actually, I like to use as many locking carabiners as possible on every anchor. I think that the exercise of checking and rechecking 4, 5, 8, or 10 locks really helps keep me focused and builds muscle memory so I always remember to lock my belay carabiner. I make sure that they are in a chain so if even one fails my partner will probably die. It keeps me honest about how well I checked the anchor."

For God’s sake, if you drop, scratch, or fall on a piece of gear — it should become a keychain, not something that you trust with your life.

pmonks i think i love you

Sabu
26-Feb-2014
10:44:36 AM
Oh man. You're a legend for posting this!
------
Commenter posts a video entitled "Top Rope Tough Guys"

Blogger replies: "I don't understand this"

Commenter replies: "I know"

IdratherbeclimbingM9
26-Feb-2014
11:53:19 AM
On 26/02/2014 pmonks wrote:
>Rock Climbing Life
>
>(no it's not mine, more's the pity)

AWESOME pisstake(*?)!!

I am sure that you will be a much better climber pm, after getting that kind of education!
~> Only in USA?
Heh, heh, heh.

>
Hey guys, my name is Wesley Summers. I have spent the last 3 years of my life exploring the vertical world, i.e., rock cilmbing! I first started what would be a life changing sport at my local indoor climbing gym. This is a place indoors where the walls mimic the natural features of the great outdoor cliffs such as Yosemite National Park. I quickly excelled at the sport and found myself instructing people on such things as Top Roping, Bouldering, Knot Tying, and Safety. Recently, I have further grown as a rock climber and have taken my sport to new heights: Outside! Words cannot express how great it is to be outdoors on the rocks and being an example and inspiration to the climbing community. I hope to continue to make everyone proud, and share my gift of rock climbing to the world!

~> This bloke isn't a mate of our own Cicada is he?
;-)

* A front page example being...
>
Carabiners – When you start climbing you may only need 1 or 2 carabiners. As you build more skills, you’ll find that you may need several. I currently have over 14 carabiners. They aren’t cheap either, but you need to make sure you buy the right ones. DO NOT BUY CARABINERS FROM HARDWARE STORES! Often they are cheaper, but aren’t built to the standards of rock climbing. Look for ones that have screw gates for safety, like this one:

~> Well crafted irony!

Eduardo Slabofvic
26-Feb-2014
12:25:45 PM
Another dill with a bolt drill. Just what the world needs

shortman
26-Feb-2014
12:39:28 PM
Classic stuff!
johnpitcairn
26-Feb-2014
1:40:32 PM
Ah, posted ironically, good. Read it, thought "enthusiastic but f---wittery". The sort of enthusiastic f---wit who would bolt the Mt Eden quarry to "make it more accessible". Sadly I have met a number of those. I realise that perhaps we have two levels of ironical-ness here. But what if we, um, don't?

(Let's see if the profanity survives, shall we?)

Drake
26-Feb-2014
6:16:34 PM
It looks like this blog was mentioned on the same day (21 Feb) on supertopo and the mountain project (see http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/2348542/The-greatest-climbing-blog-of-all-time and http://www.mountainproject.com/v/greatestclimbingblogever/108680123#a_108680279), and both posts were by new and relatively unknown users. Elaborate and hilarious troll? pmonks, I think you're behind it.

Drake
26-Feb-2014
6:27:32 PM
On second thought- it's probably this guy: http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-who-keeps-keys-on-carabiner-must-rappel-into-o,35371/ .

IdratherbeclimbingM9
26-Feb-2014
8:34:54 PM
On 26/02/2014 Drake wrote:
>Elaborate and hilarious troll? pmonks, I think you're behind it.

Regardless of who is behind it, it will still suck in heaps, because behind the farcical bits are grains of truth that makes for humour for those who know a deeper meaning...
martym
26-Feb-2014
10:39:56 PM
On 26/02/2014 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>On 26/02/2014 pmonks wrote:
>>Rock Climbing Life
>>
>>(no it's not mine, more's the pity)
>
AWESOME pisstake(*?)!!
>
>~> Well crafted irony!

Who says Yanks don't have a sense of humour?
I LOVE this - every entry makes me smile & the fact he responds completely straight face to the comments - this is comic gold... Friday Funnies eat your heart out!

The sad part is, i know a few people who could easily be the author...

"On a side note… I recently have been getting some negative comments on here and on various forum sites. I am sorry if I have offended anybody in any way. I will review all of your constructive criticism, and try to help the community better with my, and your expertise."
baz74
27-Feb-2014
6:20:20 PM
Awesome blog ODH! You are an inspiration to us all.
Olbert
27-Feb-2014
7:15:03 PM
Greg on February 26, 2014 at 5:59 pm said:
Please, this isn’t a fight between trad climbers and bolters, it’s a fight between the worst generation- the offspring of the greatest generation- and the millennials/gen X’ers. You’ve robbed us of our lives and limbs through your senseless endless wars, you’ve robbed us of a decent education by inflating costs beyond all reason for your cushy pathetic administrative sinecures, and you’ve robbed us of financial peace of mind by indebting us for your foolish governmental spending whims. We say no, enough, this is our line, our rock, our style, and our bolts.

Reply ↓

thewesleysummers
on February 26, 2014 at 7:27 pm said:
sounds like you should be retiring that hemp rope and swami belt.

ZIIIIIING!
martym
11-Mar-2014
11:28:21 PM
bump... this is so awesome, I'm going to replace the Guardian as my default homepage!

"Cruxes: I always find that for me, the crux on a route is the hardest part. It’s usually a very hard move that spits me out like an olive pit."

"If you go back to the 1970′s with the cheapest ClimbX or Madrock climbing shoes you can find today, they would be so blown away, they would think you were an alien from the planet Climberon-5, sent here to replace those stiff, heavy, high top junk rubber atrocities they used to climb in."

"There have been a ton of comments and questions on this site, and I but will try to address some concerns some of you have had:
Via SuperTopo.com: budmiller wrote, “certainly a fake but a very good one. The devils in the details, like how he set his own 5.12!”
My Response: Budmiller, just because I set my own routes, does not mean I am fake. I try to be as real as possible. "

"Anonymous wrote, “Hey Wes, great blog. Helped me get the right stuff to go do some top roping out at the crag out in Sydney. Totally stoked to read your blog. Hey man was wondering if you could like teach me how to like place those anchor things in the rock….but like over the internet man. Raaaad!!”

My Response: Thanks so much! I am very happy to have helped you! It’s nice to know I have fans out in Sydney! I love Kiwis, and hope to visit some day! Those anchor things in the rock are called bolts! It is very important you learn how to place these from a certified mountain guide/route developer and check with your local climbing area’s access fund before ever attempting to do so. I am a self-taught route developer."

"At the climbing gym, when a pretty girl you don’t know starts asking you for beta, deafening alarms start going off in the male mind. 'SHE LIKES YOU, SHE LIKES YOUR MUSCLES, SHE LOVES YOUR BEANIE' "

pmonks
12-Mar-2014
7:38:29 AM
Oh yeah the comments and responses are absolute gold. I hope the author keeps it up!!
brendan
22-Mar-2014
9:50:17 AM
Heaps of comments on this blog now, most from people who believe it to be real and can't comprehend that its an elaborate troll.

the comments on this new post are particularly good

http://rockclimbinglife.wordpress.com/2014/03/17/matt-segal-pioneer-or-destroyer-of-routes/#comments

Pat
22-Mar-2014
10:17:21 AM
yes - its the freshest stuff I've seen online for a while. I can't believe how easily he gets the bites.

Snappy
22-Mar-2014
10:22:35 PM
On 12/03/2014 pmonks wrote:
>Oh yeah the comments and responses are absolute gold. I hope the author
>keeps it up!!

I need to use this line:

"You clearly don’t even climb since you make no sense."

That can be used in pretty much every internet argument ever.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
23-Mar-2014
6:40:42 PM
On 22/03/2014 Snappy wrote:
>On 12/03/2014 pmonks wrote:
>>Oh yeah the comments and responses are absolute gold. I hope the author
>>keeps it up!!
>
>I need to use this line:
>
>"You clearly don’t even climb since you make no sense."
>
>That can be used in pretty much every internet argument ever.

What's that Snappy?
You clearly don’t even climb since you make no sense.
Heh, heh, heh.
:-P

Snappy
14-Apr-2014
6:12:08 PM
It's the site that keeps giving. In response to a comment about Factor 2 falls.

"there are more than 2 factors when it comes to climbing falls. There is distance, whether there is a knot in it, speed, gravity… I think you need to do some research and retire your sun-rotted rope. "

http://rockclimbinglife.wordpress.com/2014/04/07/climbing-gear-is-a-rip-off/

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 25
There are 25 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints