Buandik
kieranl
1-Oct-2013
9:30:19 AM
On 1/10/2013 E. Wells wrote:
>Thankyou Wendy and others. Last question....with short legs, how much of
>a walk exactly would it be from intersection of Andersons road with redrocks
>Rd(queue locals snicker now)?
Probably 10 minutes walk from Andersons Rd to start of Muline track. So not far. It may feel ridiculous parking just before what looks to be a perfectly good road but it's not too big a price to pay for harmony.
access t CliffCare
1-Oct-2013
9:33:39 AM
On 30/09/2013 chalkischeap wrote:
>Tracey, do you know the access situation for Gilhams, Ruined Castle and
>Curiosity?
>
>I know that the Harrop Track is closed but these cliffs are accessible
>quite easily on foot from the open Glenelg River Road.
>
>The PV information sheet dated 24th Sept doesn't indicate closure of cliffs.
>It lists closed roads, camp grounds and walking tracks.

I'll try and get to this tonight (on my way out now) with a more substantial answer but in short, they aren't open.

cheers,
Tracey

shortman
1-Oct-2013
9:34:21 AM
On 1/10/2013 chalkischeap wrote:
>On 1/10/2013 shortman wrote:
>>On 30/09/2013 chalkischeap wrote:
>>>
>>>The PV information sheet dated 24th Sept doesn't indicate closure of
>>cliffs.
>>>It lists closed roads, camp grounds and walking tracks.
>>
>>Wonder why that would be??
>>
>>Try really hard for a second to think about it.
>
>Shortman the minor tracks to the cliffs are not included on any closed
>lists and are not marked in red on the PV map of closed roads. These tracks
>are more in the climbers area of expertise. They may be impassable or ecologically
>fragile. They may be fine. I was after some information from a knowledgeable
>person.

Fair enough....sorry for being rude and presumptuous, ;)
kieranl
1-Oct-2013
9:36:39 AM
p.s. Gallery is much further. Could be approached via the Tower (maybe an hour+). f_abe has recently worked on the track to The Tower as penance for luring other climbers 4WDs to boggy doom.
f_abe
1-Oct-2013
1:31:03 PM
Dead simple to the Tower, stay just north of really boggy ex swamp grass creek (starting from original spot, or can easily walk direct from gravel pit) til it steepens, then follow cairns. The start really needs marker tape to define the track now before it overgrows again, I placed some cairns but there weren't enough rocks to do the job properly, and besides, in a few months they'd be overgrown anyway. So if anyone's thinking of going in taking some marker tape would be a good idea, and if you're really keen, perhaps marking some side tracks to the Crater or some of the bouldering scattered on the sides of the valley you walk up.
Using this approach to the Gallery would also be straightforward at the moment, and probably be less than three quarters of an hour from the start, plus another ten walking from Andersons Rd, and you get to see some new territory in a whole new light.

nmonteith
1-Oct-2013
4:08:55 PM
On 1/10/2013 f_abe wrote:
>The start really needs marker
>tape to define the track now before it overgrows again, I placed some cairns
>but there weren't enough rocks to do the job properly, and besides, in
>a few months they'd be overgrown anyway.

So presumably the trail I marked just before the fires got wiped out? It went along the north side of the swamp.
f_abe
1-Oct-2013
4:48:40 PM
You're right - there was no sign of any track until you get to the steep bit where a few cairns remained. I reckon I would've walked in your footsteps though, it's the easiest and most logical way.
james
3-Oct-2013
1:18:35 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-03/endangered-tiger-quoll-spotted-in-grampians-for-the-first-time-/4995444

anyone know where this was? Can I be cynical & suggest it may not help areas open any faster, depending if its in the *wrong* area?
kieranl
3-Oct-2013
5:04:04 PM
As the cameras were set up to capture rock-wallaby footage it's probably in the area near Eastern Wall that's closed off for this project. So, no impact on the Vic Range.
However, it is another reason that we shouldn't expect the Eastern Wall area to re-open anytime in the foreseeable future. Unless of course the quoll just moved in to wipe out the remaining wallabies and then goes back home.
lacto
4-Oct-2013
9:33:21 AM
http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//RTV/1991/07/27/BGY604030819/?s=*
in 1991 first sighting in victoria for 50 years in Swanhill area no less .

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 30
There are 30 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints