Author
01/10/2013: SRC presents Mike Law's Book Launch

kuu
16-Sep-2013
1:53:48 PM
On 16/09/2013 mallion wrote:
>On 13/09/2013 BBSR wrote:
>>On 29/08/2013 technogeekery wrote:
>>>You going to do a Sydney launch as well, mikl?
>>
>>Sydney Event Details Below
>>
>>Date:
>>Tuesday the 1st of October 2013, 7.30pm.
>>Location:
>>Main Lounge at West’s Asheld Leagues
>>Club, 115 Liverpool Rd, Asheld.
>>
>>In conjunction with the Sydney Rockies.
>
>any need to book or just rock up?

To the best of my knowledge the Sydney Rockies don't (yet) have a booking system and in any case the Main Lounge at West's Ashfield is a large space so I think everyone will fit even though Mikl is likely to attract a mega crowd.

However, because these are Licensed Premises you will need to provide suitable ID to access the Club (i.e. Driver's Licence) and observe their Dress Regulations: http://www.westsashfield.com.au/default.aspx?id=41
Oberon
16-Sep-2013
9:40:49 PM
Not being in Melbourne, where can one purchase a copy of this?

ajfclark
17-Sep-2013
7:45:49 AM
I believe it's published by OSP and would be available on their website at some stage in the near future.
simey
17-Sep-2013
10:14:20 AM
How good was Mikl's book launch and presentation in Melbourne last night?! It was well paced, constantly amusing and entertaining. I hope some of the younger members of the audience aren't too scarred by some of the images of learning to climb in the seventies.

And of course the book builds upon all those stories and images. It really captures a golden era in Australian climbing.

If you get the opportunity to go to Mikl's launch in Sydney or elsewhere, then make the effort. And unlike the Sharma fest it is free!

shortman
17-Sep-2013
11:00:46 AM
It was awesome Simon. Great night with great people. Thanks for coming down mikl!
mikllaw
17-Sep-2013
11:34:22 AM
Most impressive was Hard Rod's epic 3 m/cycle ride in heavy rain from Albury to hear the talk. I was going to do a rubbish mumble with 20 slides, but felt bad given the effort that Rod put in so I found another 330 slides and learnt to deep throat the mike.

shortman
17-Sep-2013
12:15:42 PM
On 17/09/2013 mikllaw wrote:
>Most impressive was Hard Rod's epic 3 m/cycle ride in heavy rain from Albury
>to hear the talk. I was going to do a rubbish mumble with 20 slides, but
>felt bad given the effort that Rod put in so I found another 330 slides
>and learnt to deep throat the mike.

Learning to deep throat the mic is more apt.

;P

EDIT - And Rod left in his wet gloves and boots for the return trip this mornin.

What a trooper!
MichaelOR
17-Sep-2013
6:24:04 PM
Really enjoyable talk and slide show. I can't believe we saw that many slides as the time just flew. Great stories and a real insight into history. Thanks Mikl

IdratherbeclimbingM9
17-Sep-2013
8:56:12 PM
+1 to simey's & MOR's comments above.

On 17/09/2013 shortman wrote:
>It was awesome Simon. Great night with great people. Thanks for coming down mikl!

+1 to this ~^ one as well(!), ... and thanks to VCC and their hard working people behind the scenes, for hosting / organising it.

At intermission I counted 60+ people attending (there was probably a few more I missed), and I found it certainly worth the effort, so I encourage others to attend a showing if they can.
The book looks great, and the race is now on to put up the first review of it on Chocky!
;-)

Post edit:
>wet gloves and boots
Mikl changed my luck, it only rained for half the return journey home, but a shortman coffee saw me through it!

shortman
18-Sep-2013
9:20:13 AM
A little teaser-

The first line of Law Unto Himself-

'Calling this an autobiography or memoir sounds wanky and pretentious; I'm just not that special.'

So far so good!

tnd
19-Sep-2013
11:24:14 AM
Just to officially notify the Sydney launch of Mikl's book, in association with Sydney Rockclimbing Club. The venue is:

Main Lounge, Wests Ashfield Leagues Club 115 Liverpool Rd, Ashfield, 2131.

Tue 1 October 2013 at 7:30pm.

Note that the venue is a Registered Club, so you must show some form of identity, such as a driver's licence or passport, to enter. Dress restrictions ("smart casual") apply e.g. no thongs or singlets.

Those attending who live within 5km of the Club must become members (membership fee is currently $5 per year).

The SRC don't have an EFTPOS facility so book sales are cash only. There is an ATM in the Leagues Club.

There is a link to the flyer in the Latest News section on the SRC web site http://www.sydneyrockies.org.au.

[Post edit by Chockstone Moderator. The first post and thread title edited to update for the Sydney venue details].
maxdacat
19-Sep-2013
12:27:27 PM
On 18/09/2013 shortman wrote:

>'Calling this an autobiography or memoir sounds wanky and pretentious;
>I'm just not that special.'

Hagiography then :p
mikllaw
19-Sep-2013
12:55:42 PM
On 19/09/2013 maxdacat wrote:
>Hagiography then :p

Hey geography
Dr Nick
19-Sep-2013
6:51:59 PM
On 19/09/2013 mikllaw wrote:

>Hey geography

Appropriate when talking about a fossil.
mikllaw
19-Sep-2013
7:24:33 PM
On 19/09/2013 Dr Nick wrote:
>On 19/09/2013 mikllaw wrote:
>
>>Hey geography
>
>Appropriate when talking about a fossil.

awww
I'll be making fossil eyes at you on tuesday
mikllaw
24-Sep-2013
11:55:41 AM
A tigths on the night competition?

Edit:
A tights on the night competition?

Or a tithe on your drinks

Of course the prize for tights on the night may be posthumous, it is a Leagues Club

Duang Daunk
24-Sep-2013
12:04:00 PM
On 24/09/2013 mikllaw wrote:
>A tigths on the night competition?

The tights are the prize or a book?
martym
24-Sep-2013
2:33:45 PM
On 24/09/2013 Duang Daunk wrote:
>On 24/09/2013 mikllaw wrote:
>>A tigths on the night competition?
>
>The tights are the prize or a book?

How about a signed T-shirt?

tnd
30-Sep-2013
1:02:42 PM
Bump, for tomorrow night's book launch. Starting 7:30pm. Books are $28, we'll probably run out of $2 coins for change so having the right money will help...

Mikl is raring to go, so hope to see a big turnout. Don't all buy him a drink or we'll never get started (or finished).

The Leagues Club has a decent bistro and cheap beer, come early for a feed.
Dr Nick
30-Sep-2013
5:28:36 PM
Any chance of having an imaginary CliffCare tin for the change? Hell, just give it to Mikl and call it a rebolting fund, he's sunk enough of his own funds over the years to justify it.

Page 3 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 68
There are 68 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints