Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 26
Author
gym to rock safety course
mikllaw
22-Aug-2013
10:24:53 AM
Hi, I run a course at Sydney Indoor Climbing Gym St Peters every year or so, It requires a normal gym entry and I'll suck $10 out your wallet to go to the local rebolting fund also.

Climbing Safety Course
This basic course in outdoor safety should make climbing a bit safer and more enjoyable.
WHY? many climbers with gym training have high technical skills, but have little practical experience in staying alive outdoors.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN? A bit about belaying, abseiling, falling, retreating and rescue.
WHO SHOULD COME? Anyone who thinks their survival skills might be improved
WHERE, WHEN? Sydney Indoor Climbing Gym, Unwin’s Bridge rd, St Peters. Monday 26th 6:00 pm
HOW MUCH? Cost: Normal gym entry fee plus $10 (donated to the rebolting fund)
WHAT TO BRING – Bring a harness, belay device and 1 meter of 5mm cord to prussik with (you can buy on the night).
Numbers are limited so call SICG (9519 3325) to reserve place. If we are oversubscribed will we run it again.

ajfclark
22-Aug-2013
11:00:33 AM
On 22/08/2013 mikllaw wrote:
>WHAT TO BRING – Bring a harness, belay device and 1 meter of 5mm cord

Something for measuring 5mm cord? :-P

IdratherbeclimbingM9
22-Aug-2013
11:19:21 AM
A good initiative Mikl.

I find it interesting that this 'need' is recognised in a few places at the moment, eg in Qld there is good info on the following threads running on Qurank, that go (sort of) hand in hand with their outdoor training days held at Kangaroo Point.

Look for the following threads on http://www.qurank.com/
*Stuck rope rapping top pitch of Troposphere (Tech Tips section)
*Multipitch Training Day at KP (General Discussion section)

thylaxene
22-Aug-2013
12:36:58 PM
Just way of the world these days. There had to be a side effect to all the rock gyms around the country and the world. Well done to the people who care enough and take the time out to right this!

hangdog
22-Aug-2013
1:35:03 PM
What a superb idea !!!
mikllaw
22-Aug-2013
1:42:46 PM
I reckon that all of us old survivors could run one at their local gym, And more input is always welcome. I have a course description, and at the end, hand out 18 pages of notes too.

Phil Box runs an excellent multipitch day at kangaroo point.
christophermoore
22-Aug-2013
2:37:32 PM
What do you think about putting those notes online afterwards, for those of us who can't make it?
Justcameron
22-Aug-2013
4:23:47 PM
5mm seems like pretty lightweight cord to me? I guess it'll bight hard.
mikllaw
22-Aug-2013
6:08:08 PM
On 22/08/2013 christophermoore wrote:
>What do you think about putting those notes online afterwards, for those
>of us who can't make it?

I could send them to you, but a lot of the value is in the practical part of it, the notes are just some boring nuts and biolts, and should be consumed with a good book such as 'Climbing Self-Rescue'
mikllaw
22-Aug-2013
6:09:39 PM
On 22/08/2013 Justcameron wrote:
>5mm seems like pretty lightweight cord to me? I guess it'll bight hard.

I actually just carry 4 mm nylon , quite strong enough for bodyweight, doesn't slip as a prussic,a nd is light enough to stay on your harness. They also make 4 mm spectra with a nylon mantle which is 15 kN + for yatching.

Macciza
22-Aug-2013
6:26:58 PM
Might be able to help out if you want a hand . . .

figs
23-Aug-2013
11:35:36 AM
How in depth will this be with regard to rescue? I've been climbing outdoors for years now (done plenty of multipitch, abseils, etc), but would be interested in coming along if I could learn something new along the lines of rescue techniques, or other advanced techniques. Or is this more aimed at beginners?
mikllaw
23-Aug-2013
12:38:53 PM
Just the easy beginners stuff:- assisted haul, Z haul, belay escape.
For more read Climbing Self-Rescue by The Mountaineers Books
mikllaw
26-Aug-2013
10:08:15 PM
I ran this tonight with Jeff Crass and Macca.
Lots of fun with sweating nubiles trying to haul fullbacks up the wall.
The Munter hitch became a mystic physical koan, each humble student asked us old filthies to demonstate the writhing knot that encompasses the universe, and none of us could tie it while looking at it, only blind and too fast.
Scary but most people had problems threading rings on a simulated sport climbing anchor, in real life 12 people would have dropped their ropes into the abyss below.
Our impromptu bad belaying demo freaked a few people out
Steggles
27-Aug-2013
12:06:21 AM
Course was great! feel much safer heading to the cliff now.

I arrived late just as the bad belay demo occurred and did for a moment wonder what I had gotten into :P
mikllaw
27-Aug-2013
7:15:04 AM
It was a bit rushed as we had many more people than we'd bargained for. The things we covered (very lightly and quickly) would probably be a 2 day course in the real world to cover well. The real aim was to show you that there were a lot of things you didn't know, and hopefully you'll continue education.
Like- you don't need to know how to do a classic abseil, you just need to know you don't want to do one.

Steggles, any other comments on what needed more work? And what seemd ok, or wasn't useful.
mikllaw
27-Aug-2013
7:36:02 AM
Climbing Self Rescue book

http://www.amazon.com/Climbing-Self-Rescue-Improvising-Mountaineers/dp/089886772X/ref=pd_sim_b_1/183-5688048-7518151

Does anyone else have any good references they'd recommend?

Macciza
27-Aug-2013
11:52:49 AM
The classic Fasulo has been reprinted
http://www.amazon.com/Self-Rescue-2nd-How-Climb-Series/dp/0762755334

And yeah it was good fun, glad to lend a hand . . .
Pretty sure everyone learnt stuff and was inspired to learn more, and that everyone enjoyed themselves . . .

Miguel75
27-Aug-2013
12:44:20 PM
On 27/08/2013 mikllaw wrote:
>Climbing Self Rescue book
>
>http://www.amazon.com/Climbing-Self-Rescue-Improvising-Mountaineers/dp/089886772X/ref=pd_
>im_b_1/183-5688048-7518151
>
>Does anyone else have any good references they'd recommend?

I really enjoyed this book. It showed me how much I didn't know. I also reckon it was great spending time at the crag practicing some if the things learned;)
maxdacat
27-Aug-2013
1:34:53 PM
I thought this one was pretty clear and concise:

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Climbing-Essential-Skills-Techniques/dp/0954151119

some of the Rockfax ones, eg:

http://www.amazon.com/Trad-Climbing-Rockfax-Guide/dp/1873341911

might be worth a look.

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 26
There are 26 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints