Miguel75
1-Aug-2013
8:57:42 PM
On 1/08/2013 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>On 1/08/2013 shortman wrote:
>>I dare ya Mike....even though the Fireman version is allot fitter and
>>sexier than the old version, ;)
>>
>... and this the same bloke who's house burnt down!
>;-)

I had nothing to do with that, apart from running away shrieking like a 3yr old;)

About the only plus from that situation (aside from our safety) is that I have a fair bit of empathy for those who've suffered likewise...
DJ Biggs
1-Aug-2013
9:42:55 PM
There are a lot of hurdles to get over before things get dug. Environmental/water/financing/technical. From a realistic perspective these things have been around for ages and explored by many companies, the minerals are fine as buggery and rather tricky to make money out of.

I know of 4 generations of technical staff who have worked on these through the 80's-90's-00's and 10's. It's possible that there will be a mine, but I wouldn't hold your breath. The process of mining would open up a few hectares at anyone time, replacing the overburden once the HM are extracted. Once mined, the topsoil is returned and cropping resumed. If they can get the water and the finance and the commodity price is right, then it may be possible. Though as a climber my biggest concern would be dust/noise/lighting that could impact on the climbing experience at Taipan and surrounds during its operations.

TobyB
1-Aug-2013
9:51:47 PM
Argue all day about the economics of mining if you wish. The resources will profit people, business' the nation. Certain parties will lose out, local organic farms, tourism myself as a climbing guide operating regularly in the northern gramps. Maybe I would benefit, 5 on 5 off shifts as a miner. To quote a hard rock machinery driver I met last week 'f---in good lifestyle mining, ah shit yeah, 16 hour shift knock off, straight to the pub, beers n steak served by topless bitches, love it, work hard play hard thats the miners way... f--- yeah' maybe not so bad for a climbing bum? We all differ in our lifestyle, use of resources and political beliefs. Personally the aesthetic damage concerns me the most. Anyone lucky enough to have climbed on Taipan, graced the slabs of central buttress, balanced up Clicke wall or jerked off in hollow mountain cave can appreciate the beauty that surrounds these gorgeous northern Grampians. 24/7 mining might be abit shit thats all.
lacto
1-Aug-2013
10:06:14 PM
If my memory is correct water was allocated for the mine development very early on in the 90's ultimately was to come from a percentage of the savings of the wimmera mallee pipe line when done but in the interim was to come from the local aquifer . the allocation may still exist and be tied to the lease even though the water resource available has been decimated by the droughts of past years
DJ Biggs
1-Aug-2013
10:06:51 PM
Agreed the visual amenity,... won't be that great... similar perhaps to looking out over the quarry when you climb Tibro in Qld I would guess.

ChuckNorris
1-Aug-2013
10:14:37 PM
I only see positives.

For instance: a shopping mall with an IKEA in horsham

How can anyone stand against that?
kieranl
1-Aug-2013
10:29:15 PM
On 1/08/2013 DJ Biggs wrote:
>Agreed the visual amenity,... won't be that great... similar perhaps to
>looking out over the quarry when you climb Tibro in Qld I would guess.
Ironically, the environmental effects statement for the Drung South proposal back around 1990 said at one point that the mine would provide visual interest in a boring landscape. They had obviously resolutely faced north so they couldn't see Stapylton 4 or 5 kilometres to the south.
The Good Dr had the points of concern right. Water is a big issue as well as rehab. Another gotcha can be seen from the Douglas sandmine which had a clause in its permit that allows the dumping of radioactive tailings from other mines.
One of the problems with water is that the water authorities have to pay a "dividend" to the State Govt so there is a strong incentive for them to enter into well-paying contracts that lock-in a guaranteed water supply regardless of conditions.
dawyndham
1-Aug-2013
11:16:11 PM
On 31/07/2013 re77 wrote:
>
>the blasé and misinformed comments above are a sad reflection of a species
>beyond hope.
>
>zircon has nothing to do with titanium and in fact is most commonly used
>by glass and ceramic companies as refractory material.
>

You're right about Zircon. However Rutile is the main form of Titanium Dioxide (Anastase is another one), and that is what I was referring to. Who is the misinformed one exactly?

E. Wells
2-Aug-2013
9:16:35 AM
one dollar Ikea rope bags! Jobs! Topless bitches! $800 a week rent in horsham! Bring on the sweet sweet harvest!
DJ Biggs
2-Aug-2013
9:27:16 AM
Well, if you think about it HM being the heavy stuff right? ... Uranium is heavy and will be hanging around in the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenotime, gamma logging is standard for HM deposits. Wonder where that goes....

For an over view
http://www.iluka.com/docs/company-presentations/mineral-sands---an-overview-of-the-industry-by-greg-jones-manager-development-geology.pdf
is a good start, though I reckon
http://www.indmin.com/Article/3122197/Channel/19569/Triboelectric-belt-separator-provides-fine-mineral-beneficiation.html

is the way of the future and could sort out the water issue.

Cool Hand Lock
2-Aug-2013
9:37:46 PM
ooo uranium... scary...

Anyone whos ever read a physics book knows the highly active stuff isn't active for long. And the long lasting stuff isn't very active.

Is anyone aware of the active material being burried in the old mine west of The Grampians? Bet you don't know about that one. Bet you want to know...

ChuckNorris
2-Aug-2013
10:56:45 PM
On 1/08/2013 stugang wrote:
>I only see positives.
>
>For instance: a shopping mall with an IKEA in horsham
>
>How can anyone stand against that?

I can't believe how short sighted I was!!! NATI needs a shopping mall and IKEA to get into the 21st century. You locals may even see house prices rise finally.
kieranl
3-Aug-2013
10:17:03 AM
On 2/08/2013 Cool Hand Lock wrote:
>Is anyone aware of the active material being burried in the old mine west
>of The Grampians? Bet you don't know about that one. Bet you want to know...

It was mentioned about 5 posts previously.

Duang Daunk
4-Aug-2013
3:46:31 PM
On 2/08/2013 stugang wrote:
>On 1/08/2013 stugang wrote:
>>I only see positives.
>>
>>For instance: a shopping mall with an IKEA in horsham
>>
>>How can anyone stand against that?
>
>I can't believe how short sighted I was!!! NATI needs a shopping mall
>and IKEA to get into the 21st century. You locals may even see house prices
>rise finally.

On third thoughts the price of the strippers and good time girls going up might offset any positive economic effects.
I guess if Maccas opens a franchise in Nati, then it will confirm I am wrong, just like simey and lashbacks timing with killing off the café.

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 34
There are 34 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints