Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 57
Author
OT - What other sports do you do?

ejayt
16-Jun-2013
2:12:28 PM
I road cycle (I used to mountain bike just a little bit), snowboard if I get the chance and scrambling up mountains. I'd love to learn to XC ski to combine the last two during wintertime
Wendy
16-Jun-2013
3:20:55 PM
On 16/06/2013 Cliff wrote:
>On 16/06/2013 Wendy wrote:
>>I don't think i participate in any sports. And call me a pedant, but
>I
>>don't think most of you guys do either.
>>
>>The definition of sport according to (snip) the Oxford dictionary:
>>"an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual
>>or team competes against another or others for entertainment"
>
>The Concise Oxford Dictionary "Pastime, game; outdoor pastime, e.g., hunting,
>fishing, racing, cricket, football; these collectively (the world of sport);
>etc... Its all sport.

What the oxford can't even be consistent with the concise oxford? Whatever, I cannot see hunting as a sport. Nor fishing. Racing? Are we talking car races or go carts? Why not have remote contrelled car racing? what about chess then - what makes that not sport? Or Twister?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
16-Jun-2013
3:39:45 PM
On 16/06/2013 Wendy wrote:
>I cannot see hunting as a sport. Nor fishing. Racing? Are we talking car
>races or go carts? Why not have remote contrelled car racing? what about
>chess then - what makes that not sport? Or Twister?

Competition has been listed as an element of sport, but to my mind it does not have to be against others. It can be against yourself, time, the weather, etc.
Maybe better described as a challenge one sets oneself, or collective group of selves?
;-)

In hunting, the game (what's that term when people attribute human traits to animals?), is competing for it's life, and I am the opponent.
In twister, it would depend on who* it is that I am playing with!!
(* If it was M75, I'd let him win, as I value my life!! Heh, heh, heh.)

Eduardo Slabofvic
16-Jun-2013
3:40:11 PM
Wendy might have something. I mean, how often do you find climbers being competitive?

Ben_E
16-Jun-2013
10:12:05 PM
>Ernest Hemingway said there are only two true sports. Mountaineering and
>bullfighting.
>Anyone do any bullfighting?

No, although I note Tom Lehrer also argued "...there is surely nothing more beautiful in this world than the sight of a lone man facing single-handedly a half a ton of angry pot roast" (though I think he was slightly more tongue-in-cheek than Hemingway).

Instead, I engage in inner city bicycle riding, which I think even Hemingway would have recognized as the noble sport that it is, requiring dexterity, luck and cojones. I also engage in the odd bit of spouse-baiting.

Outside those and climbing, my pastimes include kayaking and skiing (downhill and a bit of cross country). I'm a reformed hiker.

shortman
16-Jun-2013
10:28:16 PM
On 16/06/2013 Mr Poopypants wrote:
>On 16/06/2013 Wendy wrote:
>>I don't think i participate in any sports. And call me a pedant, but
>I
>>don't think most of you guys do either.
>>
>>The definition of sport according to the Australian Sport Foundation:
>>“a human activity capable of achieving a result requiring physical exertion
>>and/or physical skill, which, by its nature and organisation, is competitive
>>and is generally accepted as being a sport.” and the Oxford dictionary:
>>"an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual
>>or team competes against another or others for entertainment"
>>
>>Someone played squash. I think that might be the only sport on the list.
>>Maybe if you climb, run or ride competitively it becomes a sport?
>
>
>Had breakfast with some Ukrainian friends who were in the middle of doing
>a new route on Everest years ago. Sitting in a teahouse in Pheriche they
>asked Pam and I to check the phrases they had been learning from their
>phrase book to meet girls. Their favourite, which they had been practising
>studiously, was,
>"Do you go in for sport?"
>
>There are sports and then, there are sports. They were after sport.
>
>Ernest Hemingway said there are only two true sports. Mountaineering and
>bullfighting.
>Anyone do any bullfighting?
>

No. But I was one of a bunch of back up people if a lion got out of the circus. My training for taking out such a beast was to be handed a big fork and told to aim for the eyes.

Anyway, I agree with Wendy. Most of the stuff is not sport that ppl are mentioning.
I like balancing on things and throwing things in the air and catching them. Doing this is almost sport when, like ajfclark says, u start competing against yourself to improve, but not quite.
Mr Poopypants
17-Jun-2013
2:36:41 AM
On 16/06/2013 Miguel75 wrote:
>On 16/06/2013 Mr Poopypants wrote:
>>...SNIP... Ernest Hemingway said there are only two true sports. Mountaineering
>and
>>bullfighting.
>>Anyone do any bullfighting?
>
>Not anymore;) Hemingway is also purported to have said;
>
>One cat just leads to another...
>

Miguel the firefighting bullfighter - fits with my image of you!
And I imagine you have an awesome collection of capes and swords, or is that just your Zorro obsession (which also fits with my image of you!)
G

Nice one Shorty, lion fighting comes close.
technogeekery
17-Jun-2013
9:00:50 AM
On 16/06/2013 Ben_E wrote:
>I also engage in the odd bit of spouse-baiting.

Sheesh - some of you guys are really adventurous!
prb
17-Jun-2013
10:41:00 AM
hmmm, I played golf seriously for about 25 years, reaching State squad level, then switched to climbing. The toughest competitive club sport/game I've ever been involved with is chess.

BoulderBaby
17-Jun-2013
10:50:00 AM
I do pilates. Which according to Cliff makes me the 2nd most sexy. That's pretty sexy.
GWil
17-Jun-2013
11:19:15 AM
I do a bit of whitewater stuff and hike, ski and drive during the wet. I like getting stuck into the deep bush wherever possible (occasionally find something new to climb). It's the same feeling as being 1/2way up a good, long multi-pitch: isolation, but still being immersed in the world.

During the warmer days, I'll cycle, sea kayak and have started diving. Tried caving, but have discovered that I prefer seeing a view...

shortman
17-Jun-2013
11:21:27 AM
On 17/06/2013 prb wrote:
> The toughest competitive club sport/game
>I've ever been involved with is chess.

x 2. I've had an old Russian dude threaten to stab me!

Big G
17-Jun-2013
11:27:05 AM
On 16/06/2013 Wendy wrote:

>>>
>>>The definition of sport according to (snip) the Oxford dictionary:
>>>"an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual
>>>or team competes against another or others for entertainment"

>
>What the oxford can't even be consistent with the concise oxford? Whatever,
>I cannot see hunting as a sport. Nor fishing. Racing? Are we talking car
>races or go carts? Why not have remote contrelled car racing? what about
>chess then - what makes that not sport? Or Twister?

Physical exertion and skill - the absence of the former mean chess is not a sport.
Fishing is a competitive sport all over the world. Top Bass anglers win millions of dollars in televised events in the US (thereby fulfilling the entertainment requirement). Europe has had professional angling competitions for many decades which attract spectators too.

As for other sports/pastimes I partake in: flyfishing, cycling (road and mtb), ex-rugby (which i think would be one of the least complimentary sports to rock climbing)

E. Wells
17-Jun-2013
4:13:15 PM
I do monster truck jams, baseball, and shopping mall shootings.

Eduardo Slabofvic
17-Jun-2013
4:35:26 PM
On 17/06/2013 E. Wells wrote:
>and shopping mall shootings.
>

Where's the sport in that!

E. Wells
17-Jun-2013
4:46:14 PM
Usually around the gown racks
Mike Bee
18-Jun-2013
11:52:24 AM
I'll respond to this as what other hobbies do I have, rather than sports, because I don't consider any of them a sport, but others would, based on the discussion above.

In addition to all the types of climbing that I do, I also:
- backcountry ski
- hike
- kayak tour (multi day flat water)
- jog (as fitness the first two)
- road cycle (for commuting and fitness)
martym
18-Jun-2013
1:45:10 PM
On 17/06/2013 Cliff wrote:
>>Prof. Richard Wiseman polled over 6,000 people to find out which of 15
>sports they thought would make a member of the opposite sex more attractive.
>Climbing topped the list for women with 57%,

In a follow up study, Wiseman presented the women with used climbing shoes - not surprisingly the statistics dropped.

Upon a site visit to the Pines at Mt Arapiles Australia, one of the participants was heard to say "How are these bums going to provide for my family?"
After being shown the shower block under the watertank, many left in disgust, promptly revising their votes for rich golfers.

Several male attendees promptly quit their jobs and moved to Natimuk.

wallwombat
18-Jun-2013
2:25:47 PM
In 41 replies, only one person has mentioned a team sport.
f_abe
18-Jun-2013
2:43:26 PM
It’s only sport if you can die. Everything else is just a game.
For what it’s worth, other than climbing I
- Do track days on my motorbike, with the odd gauntlet dodging road ride thrown in
- Dabble in a bit of soft core esky lidding (but tell all my mates I’m into surfing)
- Take more and more chicken lines on mountainbike tracks as my body refuses to bounce as well as it used to, as well as use the bike for the daily commute
- Grow veggies (if you want to see a competitive ‘sport’, go check out the ‘giant veggie’ competition at any small town show)
Team sports were never my thing, something I see in common with most climbers I know (but probably not telling anyone anything they don’t know there). To quote a prominent ex-Adelaidian hard man “I used to be a social retard, then I took up climbing...” or words to that effect.

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 57
There are 57 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints