Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 57
Author
OT - What other sports do you do?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
15-Jun-2013
11:32:45 AM
It is winter (warm'n'fuzzy campfire weather/topic), and although climbing is a big part of our lives, sometimes I/we -

... Maybe brighten our interwebdaze with some pics too??

Me; I used to; cave, spearfish, shoot feral things with guns, skateboard, ride trial and also trail bikes; and have dabbled in other outdoor pursuits along the way, like snow skiing, canoeing and parachuting.
... These days I only still do a bit of surfing, riding is more a form of transport, and do some bow-hunting when the ferals become too prolific where I live.

(I suspect that an analysis of replies to this thread some time in the future will reveal quite a few adrenalin based past-times, due the demographic of the repliers?)

IdratherbeclimbingM9
15-Jun-2013
12:14:20 PM
On 15/06/2013 Superstu wrote:
>Shooting ferals can only be considered a 'sport' if the ferals are armed and can shoot back.

... said the bloke who bashes bitou for fun.
;-)

The sport is in the hunt and also in killing them 'cleanly'.
The rabbits usually end up in the pot so they are not exactly wasted, and I reckon the local wildlife thanks me silently when the odd fox or cat is taken out!
... but point taken, ~> I shall now admonish ODH to pre-arm the retrobolters!!
dan_b
15-Jun-2013
12:45:44 PM
sometimes I boulder.

arniearms
15-Jun-2013
1:03:38 PM
Been dabbling in martial arts for years. Great for fitness, flexibility, core strength, fun, improve confidence/discipline/respect.

Mountain biking is also a favourite way to get off the lounge and out of the house. Bush walking on wheels.

Yoga is a bit like the glue that helps keep my body going. Cheaper than a massage, decent workout at the same time, and not a male dominated indoorsy activity.

Used to skate heaps, and free ride / dirt jump. Surfboard collects dust most of the year.

Do njoi sitting around the campfire with mates and a few coldies.

Miguel75
15-Jun-2013
1:48:11 PM
Aside from skating as a means of transportation I predominantly skate tranny these days, and love an offshore wave whenever I can. If the opportunity arises I'll go snowboarding, but nowhere near as much as I used to when living OS as I prefer back-country to lifts these days...

Like M9 I enjoy shooting, varmints and long range targets and also love MTB, though find it harder since losing my bike:(

phillipivan
15-Jun-2013
2:08:26 PM
Road cycling, lifting heavy things (olympic barbells), and - when my ankles not giving greif - distance running.
My motorcycle isn't capable of going fast enough to potentially classify riding it as some kind of sport.

Eduardo Slabofvic
15-Jun-2013
2:21:25 PM
I race bicycles, and own more bikes than Imelda Marcos has shoes.

My collection of skis is a close second to my bikes. There's also a growing flotilla of water craft building up in the shed (I think they must be breeding).

Is making and drinking beer a sport?
climberman
15-Jun-2013
2:33:11 PM
Flyfishing, the odd bushwalk, love my skiing both resort and BC, a bit of MTB (most of y cycling is commuting).
technogeekery
15-Jun-2013
5:13:31 PM
Motorcycles - used to race, now a commutah! (and occasional scratcher)
Bicycles - love mountain biking, don't do it enough
Scuba diving for 30 years - but been years since I got wet (sob).
Spearfishing when I was a kid, just snorkelling now
Sailing - dinghies when I was a kid, mucking about on any boats now
Boogie boarding & body surfing (teaching my kids now - fun)
Paddling - built a canoe for me & the kids - also great fun
Squash - twice weekly blow-off of stress and aggro - brilliant!
Snowboarding - love it, but only go every second year or so
Flying kites (a pastime, more than a sport I guess - although have tried kiteboarding and want to get into that more) - love to fly kites, stunt, power, home made kids kites, you name it. Few more peaceful activities exist.

Jack of all sports, master of none. So many fun things to do, not enough time to do them all. Climbing is the one I do year round and focus on actually trying to improve (or at least stave off the gradual decline)

skegly
15-Jun-2013
5:52:35 PM
But most of the ferals and carnies in sydney would be armed ;)

On 15/06/2013 Superstu wrote:
>Shooting ferals can only be considered a 'sport' if the ferals are armed
>and can shoot back.

salty crag
15-Jun-2013
8:20:20 PM
Spending a fair bit of time indoors clambering about on the woodie now that its wet and cold down here.
Road bike 2 x per week.
Got some wicked mountain bike trails in the bush around here, a few guys that race have set them up and they're awesome so at least 1 x pw.
Swimming 3 x pw, in the pool as the ocean has cooled off a tad.
Surfing at least once a week.
My son takes care of the varmints.

BlankSlab
16-Jun-2013
8:35:15 AM
On 15/06/2013 climberman wrote:
>Flyfishing, the odd bushwalk, love my skiing both resort and BC, a bit
>of MTB (most of y cycling is commuting).

Flyfishing for me as well. Fresh or Salt water? I get out for the odd saltwater day chasing flaties but almost all is chasing Trout down the snowies.
Skiing but haven't gotten out much the past two years but i was spending at least 30+ days a year on snow and also Horse riding but thats more my partners sport then mine
anthonycuskelly
16-Jun-2013
8:44:20 AM
Mountainbiking and snowboarding, my bike's looking at me reproachfully and the boards have been dragged out of the cupboard to see what needs to be done pre-season...
Wendy
16-Jun-2013
9:38:50 AM
I don't think i participate in any sports. And call me a pedant, but I don't think most of you guys do either.

The definition of sport according to the Australian Sport Foundation: “a human activity capable of achieving a result requiring physical exertion and/or physical skill, which, by its nature and organisation, is competitive and is generally accepted as being a sport.” and the Oxford dictionary: "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment"

Someone played squash. I think that might be the only sport on the list. Maybe if you climb, run or ride competitively it becomes a sport?
climberman
16-Jun-2013
10:12:01 AM
On 16/06/2013 Batey wrote:
>On 15/06/2013 climberman wrote:
>>Flyfishing, the odd bushwalk, love my skiing both resort and BC, a bit
>>of MTB (most of y cycling is commuting).
>
>Flyfishing for me as well. Fresh or Salt water? I get out for the odd
>saltwater day chasing flaties but almost all is chasing Trout down the
>snowies.
>Skiing but haven't gotten out much the past two years but i was spending
>at least 30+ days a year on snow and also Horse riding but thats more my
>partners sport then mine

Both. Really happy to chase troots but living on the coast I do a fair bit of salt, mainly lake / estuary and a bit off the stones for the inshore pelagics - stripey tuna, the odd rat king, aussie salmon and the like. I have a real soft spot for high mountain streams though.
Mr Poopypants
16-Jun-2013
10:20:03 AM
On 16/06/2013 Wendy wrote:
>I don't think i participate in any sports. And call me a pedant, but I
>don't think most of you guys do either.
>
>The definition of sport according to the Australian Sport Foundation:
>“a human activity capable of achieving a result requiring physical exertion
>and/or physical skill, which, by its nature and organisation, is competitive
>and is generally accepted as being a sport.” and the Oxford dictionary:
>"an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual
>or team competes against another or others for entertainment"
>
>Someone played squash. I think that might be the only sport on the list.
>Maybe if you climb, run or ride competitively it becomes a sport?

Had breakfast with some Ukrainian friends who were in the middle of doing a new route on Everest years ago. Sitting in a teahouse in Pheriche they asked Pam and I to check the phrases they had been learning from their phrase book to meet girls. Their favourite, which they had been practising studiously, was,
"Do you go in for sport?"

There are sports and then, there are sports. They were after sport.

Ernest Hemingway said there are only two true sports. Mountaineering and bullfighting.
Anyone do any bullfighting?

ajfclark
16-Jun-2013
11:02:45 AM
I go running (and compete against past me if that helps Wendy).

sbm
16-Jun-2013
12:36:14 PM
Skiing, especially AT in the last few years. The winter 'rest from training period' for climbing.

Whitewater kayaking. It's great, because anytime it's pouring rain and flood warnings are issues and everyone else is miserable, kayakers are frothing!

Also canyoning in the Blueys, and bushwalking and caving whenever I get invited along on an interesting trip.

Miguel75
16-Jun-2013
12:38:05 PM
On 16/06/2013 Mr Poopypants wrote:
>...SNIP... Ernest Hemingway said there are only two true sports. Mountaineering and
>bullfighting.
>Anyone do any bullfighting?

Not anymore;) Hemingway is also purported to have said;

One cat just leads to another...

bigchris
16-Jun-2013
1:03:27 PM
I go scuba diving (even in winter!) and used to be play ice hockey until I got hammered by a very big fat guy, and then could never get my foot into my skates again due to the injury.
I also like to run and ride my MTB down very big hills, and just participate in general shenanigans.

Page 1 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 57
There are 57 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints