Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop

Edelrid: "Ultralight Helmet" (Turquoise) Mid blue .Fits 54 - 60cm Great heavy duty all-rounder. SUPER SPECIAL for a short time only!  $79.00
21% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Stapylton Campground Closed
kieranl
7/06/2013
11:36:28 AM
This just popped into the inbox from Parks. No camping at Stapylton campground this weekend

Stapylton campground closure in the Grampians NP

Stapylton Campground in the northern section of the Grampians National Park is currently closed due to in-ground asbestos contamination.

Ranger in Charge David Roberts said the area was closed as a precaution for all activities, including camping.

“With recent rain and increased visitation to the area there has been some exposure of cement sheeting containing asbestos,” said Mr Roberts. “We are currently working through options to manage the site.”

The cement sheeting pieces came from an old building that was previously situated on part of the Stapylton campground area.

“We appreciate the patience of visitors while the area is closed and encourage people to camp in other areas around the park,” said Mr Roberts.

Stapylton Loop Walk and the popular Ngamadjidj Shelter remain open. The Loop walk can be accessed from Millers or Polhners Roads.

Troopers Creek, Plantation and Smiths Mill Campgrounds are also available in the Northern Grampians for camping or visit a local Visitor Information Centre for the many private campgrounds surrounding the Grampians National Park.

“There are plenty of other opportunities to get out and enjoy the spectacular Grampians National Park this long weekend and into winter,” said Mr Roberts.

For further information contact Parks Victoria at www.parks.vic.gov.au or call 13 1963.

ajfclark
7/06/2013
12:18:10 PM
I wonder how many are already enroute for the long weekend?
Access T CliffCare
7/06/2013
12:36:47 PM
On 7/06/2013 ajfclark wrote:
>I wonder how many are already enroute for the long weekend?
The plan is to have some information at the campground to capture those who may not be aware of it, and rock up late tonight and alerting them to some suitable camping nearby.
skegly
Online Now
7/06/2013
2:43:11 PM
On 7/06/2013 kieranl wrote:
>This just popped into the inbox from Parks. No camping at Stapylton campground
>this weekend
>
>Stapylton campground closure in the Grampians NP
>
>Stapylton Campground in the northern section of the Grampians National
>Park is currently closed due to in-ground asbestos contamination.
>
>Ranger in Charge David Roberts said the area was closed as a precaution
>for all activities, including camping.
>
>“With recent rain and increased visitation to the area there has been
>some exposure of cement sheeting containing asbestos,” said Mr Roberts.
> “We are currently working through options to manage the site.”
>
>The cement sheeting pieces came from an old building that was previously
>situated on part of the Stapylton campground area.
>
>“We appreciate the patience of visitors while the area is closed and encourage
>people to camp in other areas around the park,” said Mr Roberts.
>
>Stapylton Loop Walk and the popular Ngamadjidj Shelter remain open. The
>Loop walk can be accessed from Millers or Polhners Roads.
>
>Troopers Creek, Plantation and Smiths Mill Campgrounds are also available
>in the Northern Grampians for camping or visit a local Visitor Information
>Centre for the many private campgrounds surrounding the Grampians National
>Park.
>
>“There are plenty of other opportunities to get out and enjoy the spectacular
>Grampians National Park this long weekend and into winter,” said Mr Roberts.
>
>
>For further information contact Parks Victoria at www.parks.vic.gov.au
>or call 13 1963.
>

I was heading up there in the morning with my 6 year old. Poo
fingernailsarepretty
22/08/2013
1:41:13 PM
is there any update on Stapylton campground?

Parks Vic website says still closed, I'm planning to head out that way mid September.

ajfclark
22/08/2013
1:55:28 PM
It was certainly still closed as I drove past last night.

Given the amount of rain we've had recently, I imagine even more asbestos has been brought to the surface.

JimmyS
22/08/2013
2:01:50 PM
Copper Mine Track is quite a suitable replacement just a little further down the road
Notime to climb
9/11/2013
8:51:04 AM
Any update on the closure?

The park web is a little confusing? The message about the closure has gone and you can now access the Stapylton page:

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/grampians-national-park/things-to-do/stapylton-campground2

The page notes: 'No change conditions apply' but when you view the current report it notes that Stapylton campground is closed with no detail of the asbestos closure?

Any updates from the field or is the re opening the best kept secret?

ajfclark
9/11/2013
12:14:34 PM
I'm heading down that way in a hour or so. I'll pop past and check if I remember but I'd be quite surprised if it were open...
access t CliffCare
9/11/2013
1:16:14 PM
On 9/11/2013 ajfclark wrote:
>I'm heading down that way in a hour or so. I'll pop past and check if
>I remember but I'd be quite surprised if it were open...

Stapylton Campground is still closed and might possibly stay that way. It's a complicated situation and work and discussions have been ongoing - was never going to be a quick solution given the problem in the first place. I will have some more news on this over the next week or so but until it has been announced (or if), take it that it is still closed. Public will be advised if there is any change.

Cheers,
Tracey

nmonteith
9/11/2013
7:39:05 PM
I wandered around the site yesterday. Just a whole bunch of old area closed signs, falling apart temp fences and bits of asbestos on the ground. Clearly they have just abandoned it!

nmonteith
9/11/2013
7:39:53 PM
The kangaroos look hungry
patto
9/11/2013
8:35:02 PM
It seems that they have spent months scratching their heads and negotiating red tape. If this stuff is in the ground and mostly buried would it be cheap and easy to rebury it and be done with it?

But no. Common sense isn't allowed in bureaucracy....


(I recognise that cleaning up buried asbestos can be as expensive if not more so than dealing with non buried asbestos. I just have to roll my eye are bureaucracy though.)
Mbrooks
11/11/2013
3:14:21 AM
Useless burecrats, how many months does it take!
Wendy
11/11/2013
6:58:18 AM
One moment they are going to charge $50 a night to stay there, the next they are going to abandon it??? Glad they really know what is going down on the ground in their decision making.

JamesMc
11/11/2013
7:12:31 AM
No doubt they just don't have the budget to pay for it. Perhaps next financial year.


JamesMc

There are 16 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints