Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 24
Author
Moving to the Grampians
rhysd85
17-May-2013
2:18:25 PM
G'day, I just landed a sweet job in East Grampians. I just wanted to get an insight into the climbing community in Gramps and Araps. I plan on doing a lot of sport, trad, bouldering, and i know there will be stretches of months where friends will not be down/up for trips. Cheers. Rhys

IdratherbeclimbingM9
17-May-2013
4:11:03 PM
On 17/05/2013 rhysd85 wrote:
>G'day, I just landed a sweet job in East Grampians. I just wanted to get
>an insight into the climbing community in Gramps and Araps. I plan on doing
>a lot of sport, trad, bouldering, and i know there will be stretches of
>months where friends will not be down/up for trips. Cheers. Rhys

Hmm.
If what some posters on this site suggest is true, the majority of that 'community' is not likely to respond to you here.
I tend to disagree, and reckon they will at least read your post!
;-)

Miguel75
17-May-2013
6:10:29 PM
Mmmm, climbing community around Araps eh. From what I can gather people seem to move all the way out there, stop climbing and start posting to Chockstone way too often;)

ajfclark
17-May-2013
10:25:23 PM
I think I post less these days actually...
Wendy
17-May-2013
10:43:14 PM
I don't think chockstone gets in the way of my climbing ... certainly not as much as shoulder injuries, work, weather ... having an office job and studying seem to be good ways to rack up chockstone posts.

East grampians is a long way from Nati (relatively speaking!). I don't know that there's much of a climbing community over that end of the world.
mikllaw
18-May-2013
7:24:24 AM
And Rhys, once you have a pad in Stawell, think of all the boulderers who will want to stay with you.

Have fun down there and don't forget to check out the Sisters Rocks, An 80 y.o. friend of my gannies showed me an old photo of her standing on top of the highest one sometime in the '20s.

ajfclark
18-May-2013
7:49:13 AM
Was it all coated in graffiti back then?
mikllaw
18-May-2013
11:05:40 AM
no, clean as a whistle.
Some whippersnapper had thrown a rope or two over the top and set up an anchor (probabaly back tensioned to the ground) and for a shilling he'd haul you up there, and for another shilling you'd get a photo.

ajfclark
18-May-2013
11:22:16 AM
It's sad that they are so messy now. I wonder how hard it'd be to clean them and how long they'd stay that way.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
18-May-2013
11:37:50 AM
On 18/05/2013 ajfclark wrote:
>It's sad that they are so messy now. I wonder how hard it'd be to clean
>them and how long they'd stay that way.

The hardest part would be finding someone with an appropriate sense of civic duty as well as the necessary time, skill and equipment? ...
~> Maybe form a new local chapter of a 'many climbers hands make light work' effort next Cleanup Australia Day? ~> The publicity could be a good thing for climber access issues generally?

Some before and after photos would be good for garnering sponsor support?

Who knows, you might even get motorcycling-climbers getting their collective act together to join in and help out...
~> A new Chockydreamteamhelpsession! ~> Much better than removing the lightning bolt off Midnight-
;-)

Miguel75
18-May-2013
12:02:57 PM
There's a pretty darn fun looking crack on one of the boulders at the rear of the outcrop.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
18-May-2013
12:09:52 PM
I admit to never having heard of Sisters Rocks.
Where exactly are they?
Any photos?

(Hey mikl any chance of your being able to get a copy up of the historical one?)

Post edit:
Did some googling.

This link suggests the graffiti might be more than that now, due the length of time it has been there?

This pic wouldn't be a relly artist ajf?

Heh, heh, heh.

ajfclark
18-May-2013
2:01:46 PM
On 18/05/2013 Miguel75 wrote:
>There's a pretty darn fun looking crack on one of the boulders at the rear
>of the outcrop.

It's in the Northwest Guide.
dhunchak
18-May-2013
6:05:31 PM
I lived in Stawell for a couple of months and did a lot of bouldering around sisters rocks (it's only okay). A local told me he'd seen a photo from the (?) 40's or 50's that showed they were covered in grafiti back then as well. I reckon if you cleaned it up it wouldn't last long - there's a long history. Maybe a bit like a really ugly midnight lightning. I don't have the Northwest guide, can someone tell me the grade? I always meant to do it but never had a partner.

ajfclark
18-May-2013
7:49:27 PM
Crack'n'Half 8m 19 - The obvious crack at the back of Sister Rocks. Iain Sedgman, Jim Grellis. 2.11.75
dhunchak
19-May-2013
7:22:32 PM
On 18/05/2013 ajfclark wrote:
>Crack'n'Half 8m 19 - The obvious crack at the back of Sister Rocks. Iain
>Sedgman, Jim Grellis. 2.11.75

Cheers for that. I thought it looked harder, I must be well soft.
gtempest
23-May-2013
1:35:20 PM
Here's an old (1976) image of me soloing back down Crack'n Half (19) at Sisters Rocks. I'm not sure I could climb up it these days, let alone downclimb it!

shortman
23-May-2013
1:47:07 PM
Grouse Glenn. This is my new screen saver.

Big G
23-May-2013
2:12:10 PM
On 23/05/2013 shortman wrote:
>Grouse Glenn. This is my new screen saver.

Surely this should be pic of the week!!!!
rhysd85
26-May-2013
4:16:52 PM
That is a rad pic. And ACDC gets rep.

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 24
There are 24 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints