Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 61
Author
High-Altitude Brawl on Everest
climbingjac
28-Apr-2013
11:21:46 PM
OK it's not riveting news, but it is something to read while you eat your breakfast at work on Monday morning!

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/high-altitude-everest-brawl-sparks-police-probe/story-fndir2ev-1226631181543

MisterGribble
29-Apr-2013
7:16:44 AM
Sounds like the Pines at Easter!

Superstu
29-Apr-2013
7:35:22 AM
Objective dangers of high altitude mountaineering.......Avalanche, rock fall, crevasses, altitude sickness, Nowra bogans wielding ice hammers at 7000m
technogeekery
29-Apr-2013
1:53:01 PM
Actually it is quite riveting news - not some no-name climbers, but Ueli Steck & Simone Moro apparently got beaten up by some sherpas. This story has legs...

http://www.thehimalayantimes.com/fullNews.php?headline=Three+foreigners+thrashed+at+Everest+base+camp+&NewsID=374506
marky
29-Apr-2013
1:58:52 PM
Now this is gunna be a story!!!!
kieranl
29-Apr-2013
2:04:52 PM
"CDO Sitaram Karki assured foreign tourists that they would be provided with security, adding that the guilty will be booked and punished after the probe"
It's good to know that the guilty have been identified before the probe starts. Or is he actually saying that even the tourists might be punished if they are the "guilty" party? Surely that couldn't happen!

Andrew_M
29-Apr-2013
2:38:08 PM
Circus Everest. Rumour is that the sherpas didn't take kindly to Steck & co dislodging rock/ice down on them - one was apparently badly injured.

mallion
29-Apr-2013
8:24:54 PM
A bit more info - http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68020

Sabu
29-Apr-2013
10:21:23 PM
Wow. That sounds like a very serious altercation.
Mike Bee
30-Apr-2013
9:04:23 AM
Also: http://www.adventure-journal.com/2013/04/violence-hits-mt-everest-as-sherpas-fight-with-ueli-steck-others/

Climboholic
30-Apr-2013
8:33:49 PM
Steck fixing the last 260m of rope! How about some cultural sensitivity?

Might as well of just insulted Buddha or called the guy a sport climber.
lost tazmaniac
30-Apr-2013
8:44:02 PM
Some one can insult Buddha.. They can even call me a sport climber.. But I'm not going to throw stones or beat u up over it.. There seems to be some pieces of the story missing.. It's a sad situation..

Climboholic
30-Apr-2013
9:38:25 PM
On 30/04/2013 lost tazmaniac wrote:
>Some one can insult Buddha.. They can even call me a sport climber.. But
>I'm not going to throw stones or beat u up over it.. There seems to be
>some pieces of the story missing.. It's a sad situation..
>

I meant, 'insult his masculinity and climbing credentials'. 'Sport climber' is more concise.
Karl Bromelow
1-May-2013
7:03:42 AM
Another perspective: http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2013/04/30/everest-2013-the-sherpas-viewpoint/

IdratherbeclimbingM9
1-May-2013
9:48:52 AM
On 1/05/2013 Karl Bromelow wrote:
>Another perspective: http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2013/04/30/everest-2013-the-sherpas-viewpoint/

More than one it would seem, if the ensueing comments to that link are included...

The good Dr
1-May-2013
11:38:28 AM
The comments section is awesome in the way that all of the respondents have taken the information from all sides, analysed the permutations and thoughtfully proferred their opinions. Just like Chocky!!!
One Day Hero
1-May-2013
12:23:23 PM
On 1/05/2013 ratherbeclimbinV9 wrote:
>Certain facts seem to be reappearing again and again that are fairly stomach-churning
>- the "need" for Simone Moro to apologise on his knees (twice) under assurances
>that he wouldn't be attacked (but apparently was, both times) and more
>generally the repeated threats and attempts to kill people.

I love how internet rumour passes for "fact" in davidn's mind.

Looks like the scriptwriters have pulled out all the stops for this season of "Everest; chaps on a mountain". I genuinely look forward to watching the train crash unfold every year, and this is promising to be a good one :)

The good Dr
1-May-2013
12:35:37 PM
Maybe we will see an unbiased account of events like John Krakaeur's 'Into Thin Air'.
kieranl
1-May-2013
12:37:05 PM
The sherpa side seems to boil down to :
"We agreed to do this sh-t-hard dangerous work of fixing ropes on Everest for these rich guys and they agreed to stay away while we did it so as not to distract us. A few spoiled rich pricks came into our working space anyway and got agressive when we got upset so there was a bit of a barney and we downed tools. Later these rich pricks wouldn't let well enough alone and got us all together and proceeeded to abuse us again so there was a bit of biffo"
I've got a fair bit of sympathy for that.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
1-May-2013
1:04:25 PM
On 1/05/2013 kieranl wrote:
>The sherpa side seems to boil down to :
>"We agreed to do this sh-t-hard dangerous work of fixing ropes on Everest
>for these rich guys and they agreed to stay away while we did it so as
>not to distract us. A few spoiled rich pricks came into our working space
>anyway and got agressive when we got upset so there was a bit of a barney
>and we downed tools. Later these rich pricks wouldn't let well enough alone
>and got us all together and proceeeded to abuse us again so there was a
>bit of biffo"
>I've got a fair bit of sympathy for that.

Hmm2.
I think it is a lot more complicated than that.
~> Even if the participants don't recognise it, the problems couldn't possibly stem from commercial vs privateer aspirations, on a mountain that provides a limited time weather window, overlaid with cultural perceptions / expectations, could they?
Heh, heh, heh. ;-)

Page 1 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 61
There are 61 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints