General Climbing Discussion

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 59
Author
Brunswick Bouldering Wall

Miguel75
17-Apr-2013
10:59:10 PM
On 17/04/2013 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>Harden up mate. ~> I have a teaspoon sachet of cement if you need it...
>;-)

You should know it'll take more than a teaspoon;)

With all your references to my relative 'un-hardness' I'm starting to feel pigeon-holed, much like Jennifer Anniston;

She's a wonderfully talented actress, I'm (almost, kinda, could be) a wonderfully talented climber....

She's typecast as the ditzy love interest, I'm typecast as the soft, kinda brain damaged climber...

She'll probably never be taken seriously in a dramatic role: I'll probably never climb anything seriously..

In summary, I'll continue to be a doofus and Jen will continue to be hot;)

wallwombat
18-Apr-2013
12:01:34 AM
So, I take it, you don't have nice boobs, then.

VCC
1-Apr-2014
10:25:23 AM
Moreland council is looking for feedback about the Brunswick Bouldering Wall. Take a minute to fill in the survey linked at the top of the page and let them know you think it's a great idea! http://www.moreland.vic.gov.au/about-council/news-media/have-your-say-main/community-consultation/wilson-avenue-brunswick-consultation.html

ambyeok
2-Apr-2014
1:27:46 PM
I'm getting "Wilson Avenue – Proposed Road Closure Consultation" survery. Can someone please help my addled aged brain

ajfclark
2-Apr-2014
1:31:33 PM
Should link to "Wilson Avenue, Brunswick, online submission form for Road Closure and Public Space Proposal"

http://www.mysurveyportal.com/moreland/qedml/login.php?SURVEY=popup14

VCC
2-Apr-2014
11:12:12 PM
On 2/04/2014 ambyeok wrote:
>I'm getting "Wilson Avenue – Proposed Road Closure Consultation" survey.
>Can someone please help my addled aged brain

That is the correct survey, the proposal is about permanently closing part of Wilson Avenue to make a new puplic space, and then for the space to include a climbing wall.

1. Did you visit the Pop-up Park? This included our climbing/Training Day with the mobile climbing wall.
2. Should Council proceed with a permanent public space? We think yes.
3. Road closure options. Option 3 is the closure of the end of Wilson Avenue to vehicles, so there can be a new public space.
4. Do you support the idea of a small scale urban climbing wall as part of a new public space at this location? We think yes.
5. Other comments? Up to you.
6. Your name. Not required but better if you give it?
7. Do you want to make a submission in person? Up to you.

Only takes a minute so let them know you think it's a great idea!
bones
15-May-2014
3:09:41 PM
On 2/04/2014 VCC wrote:
.....>7. Do you want to make a submission in person? Up to you.
>
>Only takes a minute so let them know you think it's a great idea!

I must have ticked 'yes' to question seven because I received a letter inviting me to submit. Anyone else planning to attend the consultation meeting?
bones
14-Jul-2014
12:32:39 PM
A quick update - it seems Moreland council voted to go ahead with the wall

http://www.moreland.vic.gov.au/building-and-planning/strategic-projects-moreland/wilson-avenue-brunswick.html
Dave_S
14-Jul-2014
1:40:34 PM
Great news! Does anyone know if there'll be any consultation with VCC or other climbing groups on the design? I certainly hope that it will end up being more like Burnley than, say, this.
White Trash
14-Jul-2014
4:49:07 PM
On 14/07/2014 Dave_S wrote:
>Great news! Does anyone know if there'll be any consultation with VCC or
>other climbing groups on the design? I certainly hope that it will end
>up being more like Burnley than, say, this.

yair it sounds like good news, but i think dave s hasnt allowed for fact that even bolderers have to start somewhere.
Dave_S
14-Jul-2014
5:15:51 PM
Hardly. You can build a bouldering wall that is appropriate for a wide range of users, or, like the photo I posted, that is only appropriate for a very narrow range of users.

The latter is much more likely if it is build by non-climbers.

VCC
21-Jul-2014
12:06:49 AM
Dear all.

Thanks for your support on the now approved Brunswick bouldering plaza. The community support really
got it over the line.

The original intent was just to get something climbable on Melbourne’s north side, the plaza idea came from a Moreland Council invitation to take part in a competition that the Justice Department was running to create urban interventions which would deter low level crime in public space. This competition gave the initial funds to create the space.

There is no infrastructure in Moreland to facilitate a “Burnley” so the final boulder will be determined by the space, brief and budget we are given as dictated by Moreland Urban Design. The boulder will have about 17m of traversable area and will be built by a known and experienced climbing fabricator with the intent of handing the running over to VCC or a community group.

Just to clear the air, everyone involved in the design process climbs. We are not power mutants, just part of the faceless masses who love to climb to varying degrees of success. We are better public space designers than climbers and apologize but don’t really apologize for that in advance for those who care
about that sort of thing.

The intent of the entire project is as much about activating public space as it is about climbing and we hope it will spawn other small movements throughout the city to compliment the gyms and natural resources we have in Victoria.

Thanks again to those who supported the project. We hope people just see this space for what it is and come down for a climb, meet mates, meet randoms, eat from a food truck, get a coffee, go op shopping, give $2 to a busker, go see a band, whatever, it is a Brunswick boulder after all.

Just another moment in climbing and life.

Peace
johnk
21-Jul-2014
10:15:31 AM
On 21/07/2014 VCC wrote:
>Dear all.
>
>Thanks for your support on the now approved Brunswick bouldering plaza.
>The community support really
>got it over the line.
>
>The original intent was just to get something climbable on Melbourne’s
>north side, the plaza idea came from a Moreland Council invitation to take
>part in a competition that the Justice Department was running to create
>urban interventions which would deter low level crime in public space.
>This competition gave the initial funds to create the space.
>
>There is no infrastructure in Moreland to facilitate a “Burnley” so the
>final boulder will be determined by the space, brief and budget we are
>given as dictated by Moreland Urban Design. The boulder will have about
>17m of traversable area and will be built by a known and experienced climbing
>fabricator with the intent of handing the running over to VCC or a community
>group.
>
>Just to clear the air, everyone involved in the design process climbs.
>We are not power mutants, just part of the faceless masses who love to
>climb to varying degrees of success. We are better public space designers
>than climbers and apologize but don’t really apologize for that in advance
>for those who care
>about that sort of thing.
>
>The intent of the entire project is as much about activating public space
>as it is about climbing and we hope it will spawn other small movements
>throughout the city to compliment the gyms and natural resources we have
>in Victoria.
>
>Thanks again to those who supported the project. We hope people just see
>this space for what it is and come down for a climb, meet mates, meet randoms,
>eat from a food truck, get a coffee, go op shopping, give $2 to a busker,
>go see a band, whatever, it is a Brunswick boulder after all.
>
>Just another moment in climbing and life.
>
>Peace

Very well said - and everyone living in Brunswick and the surrounds is totally wrapped!
Howsie
23-Jul-2014
9:19:09 AM
I am very supportive of what has been achieved and its great that the community love it. The gain in public space is of significant merit in itself.

However the size of the wall is disappointing and very limited. I think this space will not be activated as much as we would like by the existing climbing community. Typically you would need to cater for an hour of climbing as a minimum at a range of different abilities.

If its sufficient and well used by the climbing community then others will be more intrigued to try it out and also hang out and watch. It's all about activating a space is it not and being fit for purpose is half the battle.
bones
23-Jun-2015
4:21:19 PM
Just got an email from Moreland council saying that the new wilson avenue space is due to open to the public this Friday, with a route setting for the bouldering wall happening Saturday
patto
23-Jun-2015
5:31:51 PM
On 23/07/2014 Howsie wrote:
>However the size of the wall is disappointing and very limited. I think
>this space will not be activated as much as we would like by the existing
>climbing community. Typically you would need to cater for an hour of climbing
>as a minimum at a range of different abilities.

The goal of the area is primarily one of a community/public space not as a destination bouldering venue. During the trial period March 2014 it achieve this very well without a bouldering wall. The wall is simply a bonus and something a little different for the community.

I and many other locals I know are excited about having this wall in Brunswick. But if you aren't local then then I can understand a lack of interest.

Time lapse of wall installation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmlPVT3_W34

(Unless that wall is made out of solid lead, it seems somebody overspecced the crane for that lift!)
patto
27-Jun-2015
4:31:52 PM
Routes were going up at a lightning pace today thanks to an enthusiastic crew....

Apparently there is a "party" happening at the wall tomorrow... I don't know the details, that was just what I was told.
jprockbelly
30-Jun-2015
11:42:21 AM
On 23/06/2015 patto wrote:
>(Unless that wall is made out of solid lead, it seems somebody overspecced
>the crane for that lift!)

The walls are made of steel sheets, about 10mm think. So yeah, the crane was needed I think.

Regarding the wall, I went down over the weekend and had a play. Probably not enough space to entertain serious climbers for more than an hour or two, just a bit small and a bit low. Also it feels crowded, there were about 5 people there climbing (plus the odd kid running in from the street to jump on) and you still had to wait you turn to have a go. Also lots of spinners (probably because of the steel)

That said it's a shite load nicer setting that Burnley. Lovely place to meet for a coffee/chat and casual boulder. Not so great for training though.
patto
30-Jun-2015
12:35:13 PM
On 30/06/2015 jprockbelly wrote:
>The walls are made of steel sheets, about 10mm think. So yeah, the crane
>was needed I think.
Yes a crane was definately needed. But IMO not one of that size. (I work in steel and I was being a steel geek by that comment.) Oh and the sheets are a fair bit thinner than 10mm I believe. Maybe 4mm which is still very thick for sheeting. (Thanks to Evan, I did see the insides of the structure.) The thing would weigh more than a car.

>Regarding the wall, I went down over the weekend and had a play. Probably
>not enough space to entertain serious climbers for more than an hour or
>two, just a bit small and a bit low. Also it feels crowded, there were
>about 5 people there climbing (plus the odd kid running in from the street
>to jump on) and you still had to wait you turn to have a go. Also lots
>of spinners (probably because of the steel)
When I went down kids outnumbered climbers 3:1. But I see that as a good thing. This was built for the Brunswick community not for the climber community. And yes, spinners and cross threaded stuck bolts are due to the steel construction.

>That said it's a shite load nicer setting that Burnley. Lovely place to
>meet for a coffee/chat and casual boulder. Not so great for training though.
Except if you live around the corner. ;-)

IdratherbeclimbingM9
30-Jun-2015
12:46:51 PM
On 30/06/2015 patto wrote:
>When I went down kids outnumbered climbers 3:1. But I see that as a good thing. This was built for the Brunswick community not for the climber community. And yes, spinners and cross threaded stuck bolts are due to the steel construction.

Wouldn't the spinners put them off?
;-)

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 59
There are 59 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints