ajfclark
19-Mar-2013
6:37:54 PM
http://climbicp.com.au/training-products/chris-sharma-aus-tour-melbourne/
http://climbicp.com.au/training-products/chris-sharma-australian-sydney-tour/
kp
19-Mar-2013
8:31:41 PM
$70 for a slide show ?!? Australia is a massive rip off....
kieranl
19-Mar-2013
9:09:47 PM
And feck knows what the "VIP" tickets will cost. All to get you into a "private 50 person tapas with industry experts and Chris Sharma". Hold me back.
Edit : Looks like Walltopia and ICP are trying to have their cake and eat it too. Standard tickets at $69 for about 200 tickets gets $13,800. Melb and Sydney makes $27,400. Then there's the 50 VIP tickets at whatever price. Splashing their names up as sponsors but getting the public to pay through the nose for the attraction.

BoulderBaby
19-Mar-2013
10:22:34 PM
I've been told his lectures are kinda boring, they kinda go like 'And here is me on this climb, it was very hard - and this is this route that i've been working on its super hard'

I'm sure he'll be amazing, but considering most climbers are dirt bags, it's just really not affordable at all for me :(

hangdog
19-Mar-2013
11:01:17 PM
On 19/03/2013 BoulderBaby wrote:

>I'm sure he'll be amazing, but considering most climbers are dirt bags,

its a complete myth that climbers are dirt bags, they are tight arses but certainly not dirt bags
One Day Hero
19-Mar-2013
11:02:39 PM
This one is gonna keep on giving :)

cruze
20-Mar-2013
5:50:56 AM
Well the Melb venue looks like it costs $2,500 to hire, then you have to factor in the cost of plane tickets from the other side of the world (probably not economy on Aeroflot), accomodation costs in a half decent pad, general expenses, etc split between two venues, production and advertising costs, etc. Those 5 figure gross takes probably wont go far and have to return a profit to the production company or it isn't worth their while. It isn't exactly a guest speaker volunteering to speak at your uni climbing club sleeping on someone's floor.

Sounds like a lot of money, may or may not be worth it. I personally wouldn't go but there are plenty of people to whom 69 isn't going to break the bank.

pmonks
20-Mar-2013
6:19:03 AM
I hope someone tests him out on that classic Banger test piece "Andrew's Bulge"!
gfdonc
20-Mar-2013
7:54:17 AM
On 19/03/2013 BoulderBaby wrote:
>I've been told his lectures are kinda boring, they kinda go like 'And here
>is me on this climb, it was very hard - and this is this route that i've
>been working on its super hard'

Would you expect any different from a guy who named his project "the hard hard"?
StuE
20-Mar-2013
8:32:45 AM
I'm sure he's one of the greatest orators of our time, and it'll be worth every penny.
kieranl
20-Mar-2013
8:46:01 AM
On 20/03/2013 cruze wrote:
>Well the Melb venue looks like it costs $2,500 to hire, then you have to
>factor in the cost of plane tickets from the other side of the world (probably
>not economy on Aeroflot), accomodation costs in a half decent pad, general
>expenses, etc split between two venues, production and advertising costs,
>etc. Those 5 figure gross takes probably wont go far and have to return
>a profit to the production company or it isn't worth their while. It isn't
>exactly a guest speaker volunteering to speak at your uni climbing club
>sleeping on someone's floor.
>
Yes it costs money but this is an advertising venture. The object is to sell climbing holds and walls. Look it's a great deal if they can get the punters to cover it in full instead of having to dip into the advertising budget.
I've been to talks by talks by 2 of the best climbers in the world in their day, Henry Barber and Reinhold Messner. Those guys could actually entertain and the cost was in no way equivalent to what this is asking.

shortman
20-Mar-2013
9:20:30 AM
Listen to you grumpy bums. I take it that you have all heard Chris speak and are judging on that? FFS people it's $70. An hour or 2's work. Or 4 hrs at Maccas.

jimmyS
20-Mar-2013
9:30:14 AM
The talk he did at Wunderfest or whatever the yogafest is called was pretty cool. It's floating around the web somewhere.
jono_1
20-Mar-2013
9:41:40 AM
So that is $138 for a couple. Come on that is a lot of money and seems expensive for a slide show. It would have to be a really entertaining talk. I have never heard Chris Sharma give a talk so can't comment.

But I would consider paying $30-40 to hear Henry Barber, Kurt Diemberger (2 first ascents of 8000m peaks), Chris Bonnington, Doug Scott etc give a talk with a few slides thrown in. Luckily they only charged $10-20 when I saw them and they didn't rely solely on slides to give their presentation. They were story tellers.

Does anyone remember Kurt Diemberger giving a talk at the Blueys climbing festival in the mid-90s. He had 20-30 slides for an hour and half or so talk and was totally captivating. A real story teller.

How about an old-school venue like a pub, scout hall or community hall. Surely that would bring down costs.
One Day Hero
20-Mar-2013
10:20:28 AM
Would almost be worth paying the money just to go and watch a bunch of supposedly straight sportclimbers fawning over their idol.
tskinner
20-Mar-2013
11:14:34 AM
On 20/03/2013 jono_1 wrote:
>So that is $138 for a couple. Come on that is a lot of money and seems
>expensive for a slide show. It would have to be a really entertaining talk.
>I have never heard Chris Sharma give a talk so can't comment.
>
>But I would consider paying $30-40 to hear Henry Barber, Kurt Diemberger
>(2 first ascents of 8000m peaks), Chris Bonnington, Doug Scott etc give
>a talk with a few slides thrown in. Luckily they only charged $10-20 when
>I saw them and they didn't rely solely on slides to give their presentation.
>They were story tellers.
>
>Does anyone remember Kurt Diemberger giving a talk at the Blueys climbing
>festival in the mid-90s. He had 20-30 slides for an hour and half or so
>talk and was totally captivating. A real story teller.
>
>How about an old-school venue like a pub, scout hall or community hall.
>Surely that would bring down costs.

Just a little bit of info here. The VCC put on the Henry Barber slideshow and talk when he was out here last. Can't remember how much we charged, but the money from the ticket sales went to Henry. The VCC paid for all the costs of hall and equipment hire. We did it in a church hall in Hawthorn. Again don't remember how much this was but it wasn't just a couple hundred bucks. If this had been added onto the ticket sales with what Henry required, it would have jumped up the price a fair bit.
dalai
20-Mar-2013
11:41:42 AM
Given the bloke has been on or near the cutting edge of sport climbing for the last 15 plus years, does suggest he may have something worthwhile to talk about...

dalai
20-Mar-2013
11:45:31 AM
On 20/03/2013 Cliff wrote:
>tskinner wrote... Just a little bit of info here. The VCC put on the Henry
>Barber slideshow
>>and talk when he was out here last. Can't remember how much we charged,
>>but the money from the ticket sales went to Henry. The VCC paid for all
>>the costs of hall and equipment hire. We did it in a church hall in Hawthorn.
>> Again don't remember how much this was but it wasn't just a couple hundred
>>bucks. If this had been added onto the ticket sales with what Henry required,
>>it would have jumped up the price a fair bit.
>
>
>
>Tickets for Barber were $15.

Was a great session too!

Big G
20-Mar-2013
11:49:10 AM
If you dont want to pay the money, don't go
If you dont like Chris Sharma, don't go
If you don't like slide shows, don't go
If you don't want to go to Parramatta, don't go
One Day Hero
20-Mar-2013
11:55:38 AM
If you think it's hilarious that these self serious idiots from Brisbane are trying to make an A list event out of a climbing slide show, don't go.....but also heckle them on the internet because they deserve it :)

Page 1 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 53
There are 53 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints