Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 3 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 68
Author
A climbing community or a fantasy world

Wonderdog
9-Feb-2013
11:43:34 PM
More wives,,, how can that be a good thing? Nice acting Eduardo... had me fooled for a second.

Miguel75
10-Feb-2013
1:58:47 PM
On 9/02/2013 climberman wrote:
>On 9/02/2013 Miguel75 wrote:
>>On 8/02/2013 Spugang wrote:
>>>You say your name is Miguel75, but how do I know that you're not really
>>>Miguel69!!
>>
>>Mate, I'm Mormon; there will likely never be any form of 69 in my life;)
>
>Miguel, sorry dude, but don't Mormons chew the rug, lick the button or
>whatever other euphemism their might be for cunnilingus ? If not, WTF ?

I probably should have clarified; Mate, I'm a very unattractive Mormon...
climberman
10-Feb-2013
2:04:59 PM
On 10/02/2013 Miguel75 wrote:

>I probably should have clarified; Mate, I'm a very unattractive
>Mormon...

LOL. Now I geddit !
Andrew Davis
11-Feb-2013
3:56:15 PM
On 9/02/2013 macey wrote:
>Hey Andrew Davis, I totally agree (by the way, my real name is Ben Mace),
>because I'm sick and tired of the outright rude, gutless f#%$ers that hide
>behind the security of false identities, who openly admit they wouldn't
>be so damn rude in a face to face situation.

True- and irony is with aussie culture once blokes get too know each other calling someone a f*%* grumpy old c*#*% can be pretty normal in some circles and shows you are good enough friends to do that, but to do it online to a stranger when your own identity is hidden seems guttless and i think simply shows a lack of social tact or social intelligence
And im not referring at all to the the lite hearted gesting and joking that this thread has deteriorated into. We know a bit of that is needed.

I was more concerned about this notion of "the climbing community" mentioned in the climbing ethics. Chockstone cannot represent a genuine climbing community when people can be anomymous. Whoever moderates this site i strongly wish that could be changed to real id's only, and bogas-profiles are barred.

Sabu
11-Feb-2013
4:27:49 PM
On 11/02/2013 Andrew Davis wrote:
>Chockstone cannot represent a genuine climbing
>community when people can be anomymous.

Just to be devils advocate - it sure can. We've all had conversations with climbers we don't know from a bar of soap at the base of a climb or walk in. And no doubt we've all muttered under our breath about a particular climber/ group on "that" side of the campground or given someone a serve for one reason or another (cue hammer) without knowing who that person really is. In fact its very reminiscent of the community as you have little circles of people who know each other in real life all mixing together to share a passion.

One thing that is interesting is that how often do you see someone here who isn't a climber? I reckon everyone who posts has an interest in climbing which is what creates the community - not whether they show their name.

>Whoever moderates this site i
>strongly wish that could be changed to real id's only, and bogas-profiles
>are barred.

Much easier said than done. You're talking about programming within the site, something not even mods can control even if they wished. That's Mike's job and given it's not his real job, I can't imagine something like this being high on his agenda. However, mod's can and do delete profiles that are not interested in contributing to the forum (ie spam and the occasional individual who goes too far).
One Day Hero
11-Feb-2013
5:23:59 PM
Andrew Davis, the fantasy world is in your head. You seem to think that it's ok to fire in crazy numbers of bolts on worthless non-lines at an established trad area, just so your old mum can get a taste of leading and be able to do show and tell about it back at the nursing home. You also seem to be attempting some bizarre amateurish political manoeuvres in order to validate your mate's dipshit work with the drill.

I got some bad news. A bunch of those shit bolts are coming out of the rock, and there's not really anything you can do about it. Maybe someone will approach you afterwards to discuss the future, or maybe they won't.
dalai
11-Feb-2013
6:21:17 PM
Yes Cliff - Lord of the Flies... ;-)

Miguel75
11-Feb-2013
6:41:33 PM
On 11/02/2013 dalai wrote:
>Yes Cliff - Lord of the Flies... ;-)

Here piggy piggy;)
Andrew Davis
11-Feb-2013
9:22:31 PM
>>Yes Cliff - Lord of the Flies... ;-)
>
>Here piggy piggy;)

Maybe a tribe, but i think your comments at the beginning were closest to the truth, it is more like one of those rough country pubs.

Miguel75
11-Feb-2013
9:37:11 PM
>Maybe a tribe, but i think your comments at the beginning were closest
>to the truth, it is more like one of those rough country pubs.

True dat. And, like any rough country pub, once you get a feel for the characters you'll probably enjoy yourself. Beneath the rough exteriors are some pretty cool people. I've met quite a few Chockstone scalawags and have enjoyed many a days climbing with them;)

It's a fun place to talk smack and pretend to be witty;)
Andrew Davis
11-Feb-2013
9:41:13 PM
On 11/02/2013 One Day Hero wrote:
>Andrew Davis, the fantasy world is in your head. You seem to think that
>it's ok to fire in crazy numbers of bolts on worthless non-lines at an
>established trad area, just so your old mum can get a taste of leading
>and be able to do show and tell about it back at the nursing home. You
>also seem to be attempting some bizarre amateurish political manoeuvres
>in order to validate your mate's dipshit work with the drill.
>
>I got some bad news. A bunch of those shit bolts are coming out of the
>rock, and there's not really anything you can do about it. Maybe someone
>will approach you afterwards to discuss the future, or maybe they won't.

One day hero- while its off the topic and there is a topic dedicated to 'bolting at the horn' why would you also try to get so personal by insulting my mum, what has that got to do with anything

shortman
11-Feb-2013
9:50:06 PM
>One day hero- while its off the topic and there is a topic dedicated to
>'bolting at the horn' why would you also try to get so personal by insulting
>my mum, what has that got to do with anything

Surely you understood what he was saying?

You could start the Andrew Davis special rules thread and start there. I'm interested to find out what your mum has to do with it too.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
11-Feb-2013
10:21:03 PM
>On 11/02/2013 One Day Hero wrote:
>>Andrew Davis, the fantasy world is in your head. You seem to think that
>>it's ok to fire in crazy numbers of bolts on worthless non-lines at an
>>established trad area, just so your old mum can get a taste of leading
>>and be able to do show and tell about it back at the nursing home. You
>>also seem to be attempting some bizarre amateurish political manoeuvres
>>in order to validate your mate's dipshit work with the drill.
>>
>>I got some bad news. A bunch of those shit bolts are coming out of the
>>rock, and there's not really anything you can do about it. Maybe someone
>>will approach you afterwards to discuss the future, or maybe they won't.
>
>One day hero- while its off the topic and there is a topic dedicated to
>'bolting at the horn' why would you also try to get so personal by insulting
>my mum, what has that got to do with anything

It seems to me that ODH misread your other post, and it was your sister that you mentioned, however if you frequented chocky much (I know from what you have said, that you haven't), then you would know it is his style and he is stating things as he sees them rather than trying to distract you.
Andrew Davis
11-Feb-2013
10:47:20 PM
>It seems to me that ODH misread your other post, and it was your
>sister that you mentioned, however if you frequented chocky much (I know
>from what you have said, that you haven't), that you would know it is his
>style and he is stating things as he sees them rather than trying to distract
>you.

So stay private, share as little private information about yourself as possible, and defend those you know when they step out of line, is that how it works M9.
Sounds a bit like prison rules.
I think it was a clear and aggressive attempt to insult, im sure he knew earlier i had only mentioned my sister and someone like yourself Rod would be better trying to advise him to avoid personal attack on people, rather stick to the issues.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
11-Feb-2013
10:55:08 PM
>
>>It seems to me that ODH misread your other post, and it was your
>>sister that you mentioned, however if you frequented chocky much (I know
>>from what you have said, that you haven't), that you would know it is
>his
>>style and he is stating things as he sees them rather than trying to
>distract
>>you.
>
>So stay private, share as little private information about yourself as
>possible, and defend those you know when they step out of line, is that
>how it works M9.

Not necessarily by my reckoning, but that is only my opinion.

>Sounds a bit like prison rules.
>I think it was a clear and aggressive attempt to insult,

Probably*.

>im sure he knew earlier i had only mentioned my sister and someone like yourself Rod would
>be better trying to advise him to avoid personal attack on people, rather stick to the issues.

As I indicted before if you frequented chocky much, you would know that the Moderators seem to keep tabs on ODH pretty well, as from my long-term Chockstone memory he has been binned twice by them for such action in the past, though your example is light weight in the greater context of ODH posts*, by comparison.

(*again, context of his posting history, but again this is only my memory of them).
patto
11-Feb-2013
11:04:11 PM
>I think it was a clear and aggressive attempt to insult, im sure he knew
>earlier i had only mentioned my sister and someone like yourself Rod would
>be better trying to advise him to avoid personal attack on people, rather
>stick to the issues.

Many people here learn to ignore One Day Hero. It IS a public forum. Some people here will speak in a way that you dislike. I've learnt not to bother responding to such comments from ODH, but that is up to you.

Sometimes the serious discussion you are trying to debate descends into humour and banter. That is life. The forum is a rowdy pub not a board meeting.

That said you will still often get good information and good discussion. Regarding bolting, that is an extremely sensitive topic. ANYBODY retro bolting existing areas is a big controversy. That needs to be understood.
Andrew Davis
11-Feb-2013
11:09:31 PM
>
>As I indicted before if you frequented chocky much, you would know that
>the Moderators seem to keep tabs on ODH pretty well, as from my long-term
>Chockstone memory he has been binned twice by them for such action in the
>past, though your example is light weight in the greater context of ODH
>posts*, by comparison.

Dont i know it, as a younger climber i never got involved in blogging on CS but read a number of disturbing personal brawls till i decided i had read enough. Pitty it still goes on and sounds like will never change. (still think making real names compulsory would be the right way forward but that might be like taking guns off the yanks)
One Day Hero
11-Feb-2013
11:31:03 PM
Honestly Andrew, how stupid are you? If you click on my username you'll see my real name and email address, its been there since I joined chocky. (What isn't real is all the little tick boxes for styles of climbing. I swear I used to do all that stuff, better de-tick all the ones I haven't participated in for over 5 years)

Miguel75
11-Feb-2013
11:56:11 PM
>Dont i know it, as a younger climber i never got involved in blogging
>on CS but read a number of disturbing personal brawls till i decided i
>had read enough. Pitty it still goes on and sounds like will never change.
> (still think making real names compulsory would be the right way forward
>but that might be like taking guns off the yanks)

Andrew, now you're just being silly. Most of the antagonists in your saga have their real names in their profile! You don't need to harp on about how Chockstone has been the den of iniquity since day dot. As I mentioned previously there's lots of stuff bandied about with some real gems of information to be found. There're also lots of shenanigans happening here; in fact I'd say 75% of posts end up with some form of jocularity involved... Because chocky's inhabited by shenaniganisers; and scientists working on MS... And people with nothing better to do;)

There are some things that could change to make chocky a better place; everybody getting out climbing more often is probably the most important...
technogeekery
12-Feb-2013
8:39:30 AM
"shenanigansters", I think...

Page 3 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 68
There are 68 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints