Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 4 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 94
Author
Arapiles Summer (warning nanny-state ahead)
Old_Man
14-Jan-2014
5:46:07 PM
re: these DaBrim things,
aka the 'Toilet Seat': you can help the trade deficit by knocking the middle out of an ordinary sunhat - comes to something remarkably similar. Aussie can-do

IdratherbeclimbingM9
14-Jan-2014
6:33:52 PM
On 14/01/2014 kieranl wrote:
>Just got some spam in my Inbox touting "Tuesday's Hot Buys" and it seemed
>appropriate to bump this thread given the hot weather.
>
So now you are spamming us?
Heh, heh, heh.

>It's really not the weather for climbing in Vic unless you're at Buffalo
>and even there Lake Catani is probably the better option. Temp in Horsham
>is currently 43.5 if the WWW is to be believed.

From the same source Mt Buffalo was 16 to 26 today (currently 25) ...
~> though I reckon you'd still know about heat if you were on a Mackey's slab / Back Wall route / McLeod slab...
kieranl
14-Jan-2014
10:19:04 PM
On 14/01/2014 Old_Man wrote:
>re: these DaBrim things,
>aka the 'Toilet Seat': you can help the trade deficit by knocking the
>middle out of an ordinary sunhat - comes to something remarkably similar.
>Aussie can-do
The DaBrim has a much broader and stiffer brim than I've seen on most sunhats. I've also seen other versions of this sort of thing for sale in Australia at considerably more than I paid for mine. It works and it's daggy so is perfect for me.

shortman
14-Jan-2014
11:01:27 PM
Haha - the DaBrim thing again.

Didn't someone do a write up in Argus about it?

shortman
15-Jan-2014
9:24:34 AM
Copy of an article from Argus about the Da Brim

Essential Climbing Gear

Da Brim by Stan Killer

The latest climbing accessory is this uniquely designed helmet visor. Rugged and durable, UPF 50+, this bad boy will keep you protected from the sun all day long. In fact it is so big that it will keep you and your partner protected! When belaying from the top simply lean over the cliff and cast your Da Brim shadow over your second. A sure way to keep your second happy!

Attaching easily and promoting airflow, the Da Brim patent pending low profile design negates the need for helmet modifications and adhesives. It is water repellant and floats, so you can even take it deep water soloing! The old, never solo without a helmet rule, is now replaced by the never solo without your helmet and Da Brim rule.

Amongst the Da Brim’s finest features though, is it’s reinforced edges, allowing stability at high speeds. So if you’re climbing quickly, your Da Brim will never let you down!

It is also rumored that your Da Brim can act as a back up rope if the need arises. Simply spend about twelve hours carefully unstitching your Da Brim, then once complete you can intertwine the strands to create a 300 meter emergency rope. Note - THIS HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED!

Disclaimer – The information contained in this article is not entirely correct if you didn’t already figure that out!

shortman
15-Jan-2014
9:27:03 AM
On 14/01/2014 kieranl wrote:
>The DaBrim has a much broader and stiffer brim than I've seen on most
>sunhats. I've also seen other versions of this sort of thing for sale
>in Australia at considerably more than I paid for mine. It works and it's
>daggy so is perfect for me.

Looks pretty floppy in the pic Kieran. Nice styling though, ;)
kieranl
15-Jan-2014
10:49:24 AM
On 15/01/2014 shortman wrote:
>Looks pretty floppy in the pic Kieran. Nice styling though, ;)
>
It's wavy rather than floppy. Spends most of its time rolled up tight in the pack so is never exactly flat when unfolded. It's a great addition to the Silly Hats of Climbing collection but I don't expect that I'll see a plague of them at Araps any time soon.

The good Dr
15-Jan-2014
11:31:55 AM
I hope that is not the standard rigging that the ARG use!!
kieranl
15-Jan-2014
12:06:01 PM
On 15/01/2014 The good Dr wrote:
>I hope that is not the standard rigging that the ARG use!!
So do I.
kieranl
11-Mar-2014
8:54:07 AM
Someone on TheCrag reporting that they got heat-stroke while climbing Syrinx in a team of 3 over weekend. Not quite heat-stroke because they finished the climb but don't people learn?
35 degree temps and long day in full sun are a bad mix.
patto
11-Mar-2014
11:45:02 AM
Judging by the number of climbers out in full sun on the weekend I would say no, people don't learn, and climbers at Arapiles are continuing to underestimate the sun. That said the conditions on Saturday and Sunday weren't the worst that araps gets. Having spoken to the group afterwards they seem more sun weary than anywhere near sun stroke.
kieranl
29-Sep-2015
9:45:05 AM
Summer's still a couple of months away but given the temperatures forecast for the weekend and early next week (low-mid thirties at this time) it seems time for a bit of thread necromancy.

Currently forecasting 34 for Monday (39 in Mildura! First weekend of October!).

So it's looking like a very long, hot summer (Hello Maurice Newman and Tony Abbott, there may be a trend here). Look after yourselves. Plan your climbs. Keep hydrated.Wear the right clothes. Use sunscreen.

and have fun out there.
hero
29-Sep-2015
11:32:28 AM
The Stupid Person's Guide to Life from http://www.rinkworks.com/brick/

Don't eat rocks.
Don't take naps in the road.
Don't stoke fires with your fingers.
Don't throw a brick straight up.
Don't breathe car exhaust.
If you ever meet the President, don't offer him the surprise gift of a firearm by whipping it suddenly out of your coat pocket.
For all pertinent tasks, use a hammer, not your fist.
Walk around toxic waste dumps, not through them.
Don't stargaze with friends on a hilltop in a thunderstorm and use metal fishing rods as pointers.
The stuff on the bottom of your shoe is not for internal consumption.
If you need to get somewhere, and a freight train heading in the direction you're traveling just happens to be nearby, resist the urge to stand in front of it and grab hold as it passes.
If you want to pound on the radiator to tell the landlord to turn up the heat, don't do it with your head.
Don't flip off the Mafia.
If you're riding a bicycle down a hill, turn your head before you spit.
Wash behind your ears, not behind your eyes.
Light birthday cake candles from back to front.
Don't shave with a lawn mower.
Just because your body has orifices doesn't mean you should put things into them.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
29-Sep-2015
11:40:29 AM
On 29/09/2015 kieranl wrote:
>Summer's still a couple of months away but given the temperatures forecast
>for the weekend and early next week (low-mid thirties at this time) it
>seems time for a bit of nanny-state thread necromancy.
>
>Currently forecasting 34 for Monday (39 in Mildura! First weekend of October!).
>
>
>So it's looking like a very long, hot summer (Hello Maurice Newman and
>Tony Abbott, there may be a trend here). Look after yourselves. Plan your
>climbs. Keep hydrated.Wear the right clothes. Use sunscreen.
>
>and have fun out there.

After noting DaBrim hat ^ ... the expression 'beating a dead horse' comes to mind after leading it to water and not having it drink?

ambyeok
29-Sep-2015
12:38:38 PM
On 15/01/2014 kieranl wrote:
>On 15/01/2014 The good Dr wrote:
>>I hope that is not the standard rigging that the ARG use!!
>So do I.

What may be confusing you guys is that the man pictured is actually pretending to be a stuck climber. However, being a method actor, he has concocted an incredibly complicated top-rope setup to add a bit of reality to the 'stranded top-rope bumbly' rescue scenario that they are rehearsing. Most of what you see in the rope setup is just for show, a few random ropes, some old tat left over from yesteryear, etc. Not obvious from the photo is that he is also wearing flip-flops, desperately hung over, is not carrying any water and never got his lead-cert at the gym. You really have to give this guy mad props for dedication to his art.
Jayford4321
29-Sep-2015
1:04:41 PM
>
On 29/09/2015 ambyeok wrote:
>On 15/01/2014 kieranl wrote:
>>On 15/01/2014 The good Dr wrote:
>>>I hope that is not the standard rigging that the ARG use!!
>>So do I.
>
>What may be confusing you guys is that the man pictured is actually pretending
>to be a stuck climber. However, being a method actor, he has concocted
>an incredibly complicated top-rope setup to add a bit of reality to the
>'stranded top-rope bumbly' rescue scenario that they are rehearsing. Most
>of what you see in the rope setup is just for show, a few random ropes,
>some old tat left over from yesteryear, etc. Not obvious from the photo
>is that he is also wearing flip-flops, desperately hung over, is not carrying
>any water and never got his lead-cert at the gym. You really have to give
>this guy mad props for dedication to his art.

Ya wrong amby, its just 2 Rap ferals leaving the ark a bit late.
kieranl
29-Sep-2015
1:33:58 PM
On 29/09/2015 ambyeok wrote:
>On 15/01/2014 kieranl wrote:
>>On 15/01/2014 The good Dr wrote:
>>>I hope that is not the standard rigging that the ARG use!!
>>So do I.
>
>What may be confusing you guys is that the man pictured is actually pretending
>to be a stuck climber. However, being a method actor, he has concocted
>an incredibly complicated top-rope setup to add a bit of reality to the
>'stranded top-rope bumbly' rescue scenario that they are rehearsing. Most
>of what you see in the rope setup is just for show, a few random ropes,
>some old tat left over from yesteryear, etc. Not obvious from the photo
>is that he is also wearing flip-flops, desperately hung over, is not carrying
>any water and never got his lead-cert at the gym. You really have to give
>this guy mad props for dedication to his art.
I don't think anyone has accused me of having "method" before. I'm quite touched.
RNM
29-Sep-2015
5:45:06 PM
Might have meant "meth head"?
hero
30-Sep-2015
12:06:00 PM
I'll add this for reference.

http://harmful.cat-v.org/people/basic-laws-of-human-stupidity/?utm_content=buffer50a1c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Jayford4321
30-Sep-2015
12:38:30 PM
On 30/09/2015 hero wrote:
>I'll add this for reference.
>
>http://harmful.cat-v.org/people/basic-laws-of-human-stupidity/?utm_content=buffer50a1c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Thx hero. I now know all about stupid people and bandits.
Please remind me never to argue with you otherwise you will drag me down to your level and beat me with experience.
Your insights are valuable in what is likely to be a elnino hotter and drier summer than we normally have, so are you now booking ahead for punters wanting to do Tiger Wall this Jan-Feb or are you leaving that to kman?

Page 4 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 94
There are 94 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints