Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40
Author
O. T. - Can u (expletive Mod'd) believe this ??
sawmiller97
7-Sep-2012
4:36:47 PM
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84004675/14/Logging-Coupe-CM019E-Catamaran-in-far-south-Tasmania

The ' wilderness ' ( according to National Parks Service ) South Coast Track goes along the broad valley / plain on the left .

South East Cape is on the far left.

Logging goes to within 50m of the Tas Wilderness World Heritage Area boundery.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
7-Sep-2012
4:56:33 PM
On 7/09/2012 sawmiller97 wrote:
>Logging goes to within 50m of the Tas Wilderness World Heritage Area
>boundery.
>
What's new?
That tactic is standard practice by Forestry and Mining groups, and has been for ages! ... ie leave a thin veneer of natural timber/scenery to hide the destruction taking place behind it.

Take a drive in central west NSW and the seemingly endless rural and NP-like vegetated areas seen from major roads are mostly thin veneers; that are just a small percentage of the logging and mining taking place just over ridgelines and tree stands. If you fly over that same country the disproportionate areas of each become blatantly obvious.

Edit:
(& yes, it makes me cranky too!)

shortman
7-Sep-2012
5:19:06 PM
On 7/09/2012 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>On 7/09/2012 sawmiller97 wrote:
>>Logging goes to within 50m of the Tas Wilderness World Heritage Area
>>boundery.
>>
>What's new?
>That tactic is standard practice by Forestry and Mining groups, and has
>been for ages! ... ie leave a thin veneer of natural timber/scenery to
>hide the destruction taking place behind it.
>
>Take a drive in central west NSW and the seemingly endless rural and NP-like
>vegetated areas seen from major roads are mostly thin veneers; that are
>just a small percentage of the logging and mining taking place just over
>ridgelines and tree stands. If you fly over that same country the disproportionate
>areas of each become blatantly obvious.
>
>Edit:
>(& yes, it makes me cranky too!)

Same through the Otways. I remember the first time I ever saw it so clearly, (and I certainly aint a hippy), and it shattered me the level of destruction coupled with the cunning cover up thing.

I think I was more pissed off about the way they try and hide it, stinks of poli fruggen ticians.
sawmiller97
8-Sep-2012
4:19:23 PM
Well for a start , to who ever added a 50 metre blase / cynical ' O T ' veneer to the topic title , it's not ' O T ' when yourve got days like this :
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sFDNzd_1DpE/ShSa3KL-TBI/AAAAAAAAADw/48BAsNswM7g/s400/Aqua12may2009Tasmania_NE_QKM.jpg
where a post-clear-felling-burn-off is sending choking smoke into the lungs and eyes of rock climbers in the Cateract Gorge, 50 kms away .

>and has been for ages !

Now its time for the ' has-beens' to step out of the way and let the new generation decide whether they want to accept these practices .

; I

Miguel75
8-Sep-2012
5:35:25 PM
On 8/09/2012 sawmiller97 wrote:
>Well for a start , to who ever added a 50 metre blase / cynical ' O T '
> veneer to the topic title , it's not ' O T ' when yourve got days like.... snip....

If you're new around these here parts, you usually throw an OT on the front of a topic that's not directly about climbing; for example, 'OT what's the best way to topple a neo fascist government?' etc etc;) And just like in climbing you'll find most of the blasé / cynical veneers are now a standard 60 metres.

>Now its time for the ' has-beens' to step out of the way and let the new
>generation decide whether they want to accept these practices .
>
> ; I

Without being silly, what are the current best practice procedures for sustainable logging?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
8-Sep-2012
8:35:17 PM
On 8/09/2012 Miguel75 wrote:
>On 8/09/2012 sawmiller97 wrote:
>>Well for a start , to who ever added a 50 metre blase / cynical ' O T
>'
>> veneer to the topic title , it's not ' O T ' when yourve got days like....
>snip....
>
>If you're new around these here parts, you usually throw an OT on the
>front of a topic that's not directly about climbing; for example, 'OT what's
>the best way to topple a neo fascist government?' etc etc;) And just like
>in climbing you'll find most of the blasé / cynical veneers are now a standard
>60 metres.
>
>>Now its time for the ' has-beens' to step out of the way and let the
>new
>>generation decide whether they want to accept these practices .
>>
>> ; I
>
>Without being silly, what are the current best practice procedures for
>sustainable logging?

+1

sawmiller97 wrote:
>Now its time for the ' has-beens' to step out of the way and let the new generation decide whether they want to accept these practices .

Where were you when they flooded Lake Pedder?
Myself? I knocked back a lucrative job with Tasmanian Hydro Electric Authority at the time due to their ethics on that issue that I disagreed with.
~> I admire your enthusiasm. Keep at it lad, and hopefully you and your generation will prevail.

Oh, and re the;
>who ever added a 50 metre blase / cynical ' O T
~> The thread title clearly says that it was moderated, and only Moderators have that ability. It was your first post here so you probably shouldn't get them offside as they have been known to 'disbale' users (thanks Hex!*) ...
Heh, heh, heh.

(* sawmiller97, ... do a search on that user ID and you will find passion in abundance to help stoke your fire!)
sawmiller97
9-Sep-2012
1:04:53 PM
On 8/09/2012 Miguel75 wrote:

>the current best practice procedures for
>sustainable logging?

Thats an oxy-moron

sawmiller97
9-Sep-2012
1:08:04 PM
On 8/09/2012 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:

>Where were you when they flooded Lake Pedder?
>Myself? I knocked back a lucrative job with Tasmanian Hydro Electric Authority
>at the time due to their ethics on that issue that I disagreed with.

Have a guess where Olegas Truchanas was employed when the Gordon/Pedder dams were being built .
sawmiller97
9-Sep-2012
1:11:42 PM

Maybe Ive got it all wrong ...maybe forest worker ( cyber name Chips Chum ) has got it all sorted :

'...Things we like: the sound of falling trees; that special sound a chainsaw makes in the distance; the rattle of a pull cord; the whir of the tyres on a fully laden log truck; the smell of chainsaw dust; the feel of wood chips running through your hand; the smell that hangs in the air after a good burn off; the pungent smell of two stroke; and the smell and feel of crisp banknotes spilling out of an ATM...'

$.$
.I.
----

One Day Hero
9-Sep-2012
1:59:32 PM
Piss off ya hippy!

Miguel75
9-Sep-2012
3:29:46 PM
On 9/09/2012 sawmiller97 wrote:
>
>Maybe Ive got it all wrong ...maybe forest worker ( cyber name Chips
>Chum ) has got it all sorted :
>
>'...Things we like: the sound of falling trees; that special sound a chainsaw
>makes in the distance; the rattle of a pull cord; the whir of the tyres
>on a fully laden log truck; the smell of chainsaw dust; the feel of wood
>chips running through your hand; the smell that hangs in the air after
>a good burn off; the pungent smell of two stroke; and the smell and feel
>of crisp banknotes spilling out of an ATM...'
>
>
>$.$
> .I.
>----

I don't reckon Chips Chum is right on all counts though the smell of a burn off, especially napalm in the morning, and the feel of crisp banknotes is certainly pretty nice;) Almost as nice as a fresh polar bear rug...

Miguel75
9-Sep-2012
3:43:37 PM
>On 8/09/2012 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>
>>Where were you when they flooded Lake Pedder?
>>Myself? I knocked back a lucrative job with Tasmanian Hydro Electric
>Authority
>>at the time due to their ethics on that issue that I disagreed with.
>
>Have a guess where Olegas Truchanas was employed when the Gordon/Pedder
>dams were being built .

Bunnings?
One Day Hero
9-Sep-2012
3:52:57 PM

>Have a guess where Olegas Truchanas was employed when the Gordon/Pedder
>dams were being built .

Shouldn't that be "where Olegas Truchanas were employed", if there was more than one of them?

Miguel75
9-Sep-2012
4:28:46 PM
>On 8/09/2012 Miguel75 wrote:
>
>>the current best practice procedures for
>>sustainable logging?
>
>Thats an oxy-moron

In all honesty I appreciate your zeal, though don't believe there's no such thing as sustainable logging.

davidn
9-Sep-2012
4:59:22 PM
On a slow Sunday afternoon I decided to actually look through this bomb site and ponder how it relates to climbing. Still scratching my head.

But here's a bunch of emotive words you should consider using in your next report on how people wash themselves too often, from the first (and only) two pages I read:

Suitable, endangered, pristine, decimated, spectacular, contentious, vital, abundant, extremely, damaged, diverse, sensitive, degraded, and threatens.

Perhaps I just hate nature and secretly wish for the Industrial Overlords to win the fight against Those Who Are One With the Land. Or I've spent too much time with too many lobby groups?
kieranl
9-Sep-2012
6:33:10 PM
On 9/09/2012 One Day Hero wrote:
>Shouldn't that be "where Olegas Truchanas were employed", if there was
>more than one of them?
ODH, please tell me that you're trolling and not that you don't know who Olegas Truchanas was.
One Day Hero
9-Sep-2012
7:56:39 PM
On 9/09/2012 kieranl wrote:
>ODH, please tell me that you're trolling and not that you don't know who
>Olegas Truchanas was.

You mean 'were' Kieran. 'Who Olegas Truchanas were'.

The real question is, how many Truncheons did Olga have?

Miguel75
9-Sep-2012
8:06:59 PM
>The real question is, how many Truncheons did Olga have?

7?
kieranl
9-Sep-2012
8:42:15 PM
>On 9/09/2012 kieranl wrote:
>>ODH, please tell me that you're trolling and not that you don't know
>who
>>Olegas Truchanas was.
>
>You mean 'were' Kieran. 'Who Olegas Truchanas were'.
>
>The real question is, how many Truncheons did Olga have?
Good, you were/are trolling. Found it hard to believe you could be that ignorant.
sawmiller97
9-Sep-2012
9:38:41 PM

>Olga

'...In an attempt to stem the wave of concern over construction of the Franklin dam, the Labor Government of the day sought a compromise and passed legislation that paved the way for the construction of a dam on the Gordon above its confluence with the *Olga* River. This alternative did little to appease either pro- or anti-dam groups. In 1981 a referendum was conducted to give Tasmanian people the opportunity to express their support for the construction of either the Gordon-below-Franklin or the Gordon-above-Olga scheme. The option of ‘no dams’ was withdrawn. This resulted in a staggering 44 per cent of the electorate casting an informal vote by writing, ‘No Dams’ across ballot tickets.

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40
There are 40 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints