Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40
Author
O. T. - Can u (expletive Mod'd) believe this ??
sawmiller97
9-Sep-2012
9:48:37 PM
>On a slow Sunday afternoon I decided to actually look through this bomb site and ponder how it relates to climbing. Still scratching my head.

>But here's a bunch of emotive words you should consider using in your next report on how people wash themselves too often, from the first (and only) two pages I read:

>Suitable, endangered, pristine, decimated, spectacular, contentious, vital, abundant, extremely, damaged, diverse, sensitive, degraded, and threatens.

>Perhaps I just hate nature and secretly wish for the Industrial Overlords to win the fight against Those Who Are One With the Land. Or I've spent too much time with too many lobby groups?

On 9/09/2012 davidn wrote:

> and ponder how it relates to climbing. Still scratching my head.

'...The listing of the Tasmanian wilderness as a World Heritage Area was an essential component of the landmark decision to halt construction of the Franklin dam. Listing also gave recognition to the natural and cultural values which make the area of outstanding universal significance...'

It all relates to the first picture in the first post : destruction of ancient forests 50metres from world heritage listed areas
The concept of ' buffer zone ' has now been abandoned and the official attitude is now " this is industrial logging here and 50 metres the other side of the clear-felled area is where your ' wilderness ' experience starts : ) "

If you go to climb the mighty NW face of Federation Peak , you will see how fark tup the picton valley has become ... thats if the experience of rock climbing on real mountains means more to you than putting another tick in a guide book / web-wank-tally site ...

kieranl
9-Sep-2012
10:01:01 PM
On 9/09/2012 sawmiller97 wrote:
>It all relates to the first picture in the first post : destruction of
>ancient forests 50metres from world heritage listed areas
>The concept of ' buffer zone ' has now been abandoned and the official
>attitude is now " this is industrial logging here and 50 metres the other
>side of the clear-felled area is where your ' wilderness ' experience starts
>: ) "
>
>If you go to climb the mighty NW face of Federation Peak , you will see
>how fark tup the picton valley has become ... thats if the experience of
>rock climbing on real mountains means more to you than putting another
>tick in a guide book / web-wank-tally site ...
>
Hey lad,
it's actually your job as the OP to provide context. It's a climbing site, not primarily a conservation site, no problem bringing up a conservation topic, (it is O.T. though), but you don't do yourself any favours by getting abusive.
A lot of people who contribute here have done a lot of walking and climbing in Tassie and actually understand the issues down there. There's some who were around for the Lake Pedder campaign and others for the Franklin.

cheers
Kieran
sawmiller97
9-Sep-2012
10:07:50 PM
Like Peter Reith says

" dont confuse abuse with robust discussion "
sawmiller97
9-Sep-2012
10:10:17 PM
>no problem bringing up a conservation topic, (it is O.T. though)

I reckon gym cllimbing is more ' OT ' to rock climbing than this issue is .
sawmiller97
9-Sep-2012
10:15:07 PM
>A lot of people who contribute here have done a lot of walking and climbing in Tassie and actually understand the issues down there. There's some who were around for the Lake Pedder campaign and others for the Franklin.

And now your blase enough in your ... ahem ... golden years ... to let the buffer zones be whittled away ?

This thread is primerryily for the thought patterns of the new generation who possibly view all the destruction as ' normal '

kieranl
9-Sep-2012
10:16:02 PM
I just wish you'd back off the attitude. You seem to be trying to alienate an audience that in my experience is actually on your side.
I find it odd that you quote Peter Reith as if he has credibility.

shortman
9-Sep-2012
10:17:43 PM
On 9/09/2012 sawmiller97 wrote:
>Like Peter Reith says
>
>" dont confuse abuse with robust discussion "

Quoting a retort never packs much punch.

Don't confuse passion with intelligence.

sawmiller97
9-Sep-2012
10:17:57 PM
Gotta go !!!

Mum's yelling out about milo or somethhing .

: )
One Day Hero
9-Sep-2012
10:20:31 PM
Hex, is that you?

nmonteith
9-Sep-2012
10:38:56 PM
On 9/09/2012 One Day Hero wrote:
>Hex, is that you?

Yes it is.
One Day Hero
9-Sep-2012
10:39:30 PM
Snap! Do I get a prize?

Miguel75
9-Sep-2012
10:41:53 PM
And I thought I was a fundamentalist;) Here's an easy way to know if you're a Christian fundamentalist;

"You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% failure was simply the will of God."

Unfortunately I don't know any environmental fundamentalist jokes. Sorry:(

ajfclark
10-Sep-2012
8:14:29 AM
On 9/09/2012 Miguel75 wrote:
>Unfortunately I don't know any environmental fundamentalist jokes. Sorry:(

P.E.T.A? That episode of Southpark about Sea shepherd?

JamesMc
10-Sep-2012
7:45:33 PM
We could see the edge of the logging forum the South Coast Track when I was there last summer.

JamesMc

IdratherbeclimbingM9
11-Sep-2012
8:26:55 PM
On 9/09/2012 One Day Hero wrote:
>Snap! Do I get a prize?
Yes...
~> Relegation back into 2nd place on Chockstone! ... in terms of consistant ability to get in peoples faces (voteoffvotesandallthatstuff)?
~> Da inyafacemaster is back!
Heh, heh, heh!
widewetandslippery
11-Sep-2012
8:59:24 PM
m75 I used your joke today swaping christian for muslim and had a fella sword rattling. Top joke.

Miguel75
11-Sep-2012
9:30:39 PM
On 11/09/2012 widewetandslippery wrote:
>m75 I used your joke today swaping christian for muslim and had a fella
>sword rattling. Top joke.

Glad I could be of service. An acquaintance of mine keeps throwing it at me even though I pray that he'll stop.....
ima.seriousyoungliza
9-Jun-2016
7:17:15 PM
On 8/09/2012 sawmiller97 wrote:
>>>in the Cateract Gorge

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-08/aerial-footage-of-the-trevallyn-dam-and-cataract-gorge/7488980

IdratherbeclimbingM9
9-Jun-2016
8:46:46 PM
On 9/06/2016 ima.seriousyoungliza/sawmiller97 wrote:
>On 8/09/2012 wrote:
>>>>in the Cateract Gorge
>
>http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-08/aerial-footage-of-the-trevallyn-dam-and-cataract-goge/7488980
>
... I didn't notice the 50 m buffer zone in that footage.
;-)

salty crag
9-Jun-2016
8:58:16 PM
I really wish chocky had a 'Like' button. So enjoyed this thread!

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40
There are 40 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints