31% 

Page 4 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 66
Author
Retrobolting at Bungonia

IdratherbeclimbingM9
30-Jun-2012
11:30:29 AM
On 27/06/2012 nmonteith wrote:
>Sorry, I don't know the name. Benjenga might know - I did it with him.
>On the right side of the main road, kind of near Grill Cave. Narrow squeezy
>start for 100m to a 20m vertical tube (absiel) about 5m wide - then a whole
>lotta squeeze and narrow stuff horizontally until a dead end. At least
>5 rings that I saw saw around the abseil point.

Benjenga has since confirmed your adventure being B22, but your memory description is a tadd off, as it has about 10 m of entrance leading to a 32 m pitch!

I shall be doing some homework on who/why the rings were placed and if it is justified and sanctioned by appropriate authorities, then I will accede to it, though the traditional way it was done was using wire traces around a column a few metres back from the lip of the pitch.
On the use of wire traces, I also noted the detrimental effect they have had on the rock over the intervening years between when I first went there and later revisited, ... so the issue may become one of the lesser evil.

nmonteith
30-Jun-2012
11:42:54 AM
What's a wire trace?

rodw
30-Jun-2012
11:57:23 AM
A lot of cavers use cable ladders and they use wire cables to set them up.
Mr Poopypants
30-Jun-2012
12:18:08 PM
On 30/06/2012 nmonteith wrote:
>What's a wire trace?

Or, in M9s case, a really long funkness device. :-)
widewetandslippery
30-Jun-2012
3:37:55 PM
I never got the wire trace on the bolt on colditz at the county. Why?

Light wire traces are good for garfish :)

IdratherbeclimbingM9
30-Jun-2012
3:39:31 PM
On 30/06/2012 rodw wrote:
>A lot of cavers use cable ladders and they use wire cables to set them up.

rodw is on the money.
These are the ladders, and the wire trace is a length/s of cable the same diameter as the cables used on them, that can be joined easily to the end of the ladder/s, after going around a suitable anchor.

The action of ascending the ladders caused the wire trace to rub on the anchor, effectively wearing a groove in the rock...

Mr P; funkness devices are a heaps more modern invention, as they often are a cable sheathed in plastic!

WW&S; I have no idea why!

Page 4 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 66
There are 66 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints